Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial 999 and get sued

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Maybe she wasn't cut out for the job of policewoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who gives a Fcuk,we are in Ireland, not the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What happen's in the UK usually mirrors what could happen here eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

LMAO, oh it applies to Ireland too, plenty of claims are brought up by Garda.

Why take a knowingly dangerous job if you are going to claim for the smallest injuries?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Gatling wrote: »
    What happen's in the UK usually mirrors what could happen here eventually
    True. They copy it from the U.S. (compensation culture will probably be joined by ambulance chasers), and Ireland copies from them.

"Oh, it's dark out. It would be great if there was something to allow me to see my surroundings". Why would anyone in the police service not carry a working torch, and use it when needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Should be sacked. Hopefully there's CCTV showing it was all a scam. If not that's even worse! Wrong person for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There's is lighting right across the street

pic from Daily Mail

It's not like she wandering down some pitch dark country field

If it was dark enough to warrant the use of a flashlight then where was her flashlight?

Are the street lights not provided by the local council or is the shop owner responsible for ensuring that the nearby street lights are working ok and providing adequate lighting to prevent such horrific accidents from happening?

Who cares about the stupid lighting? Her job is to uphold the law.. Not to uphold the law in well lit areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Did that fat dude from bad Korea bomb the skinny people from good Korea yet? Boards needs something exciting to talk about.

• Advertisement

According to press reports UK police officers were paid out compensation valued at £20 million last year alone ,pretty big business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Obvious kerb is is obvious, get up and get on wth it?! Paying off people for becoming embarrassed now.

and I heard cops are common claimants, I suppose they don't get turned down often, for being the law as they must likely be right, and so it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I must remember to sue someone next time i fall over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

****, good job she never got shot or the garage owner would be in big trouble, I am sure she has been issued a torch so failure to use adequate equipment on her part.

Gatling wrote: »
    According to press reports UK police officers were paid out compensation valued at £20 million last year alone ,pretty big business

Some were stabbed or shot. Others were injured in high speed car chases or got into a scuffle during an arrest. there are a lot of genuine injuries and some officers will have permanent injuries that restrict their family lives.
    Its people like the woman in this story who call every genuine injury into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭keithb93

Some were stabbed or shot. Others were injured in high speed car chases or got into a scuffle during an arrest. there are a lot of genuine injuries and some officers will have permanent injuries that restrict their family lives.
    Its people like the woman in this story who call every genuine injury into question.

That's all part of their job, they knew what they were getting themselves into.

keithb93 wrote: »

I agree but if they're left in a wheelchair they should be granted money for home modifications etc. Its not all a big scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

"A step too far", heh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

but who will police the people who police the police?!

This is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

keithb93 wrote: »

Absolutely, and they go into it knowing that should they be injured in the course of protecting the citizens of, and upholding the law of their country, that the government will make sure that they are comfortably reimbursed monitarily or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

She's suing the police over a crash last year when she was pursuing another vehicle,this woman is watching too many 'where there's blame,there's a claim' ads.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305077/Now-WPC-tripped-999-collect-sues-force-prang-panda-car.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

zerks wrote: »
    She's suing the police over a crash last year when she was pursuing another vehicle,this woman is watching too many 'where there's blame,there's a claim' ads.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305077/Now-WPC-tripped-999-collect-sues-force-prang-panda-car.html
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/06/article-2305077-19239E41000005DC-967_306x554.jpg

If anyone should be sued, it should be her fashion advisor. Put me right off my Sunday morning fry-up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cagney or Lacy would never trip over a kerb.

She's a total chancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

The thread title is pretty stupid to be honest. He was not sued for dialing 999. He was sued because someone was injured on his property. Her job is irrelevent. She was invited onto his property and, as such, he owed her a duty of care. If he failed in that duty he should pay the consequences. If he did not fail in that duty he will not have to pay. And if he is found to have failed in his duty she will likely lose part of her compensation for her own actions and failures which contributed to her injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

SB2013 wrote: »
    The thread title is pretty stupid to be honest. He was not sued for dialing 999. He was sued because someone was injured on his property. Her job is irrelevent. She was invited onto his property and, as such, he owed her a duty of care. If he failed in that duty he should pay the consequences. If he did not fail in that duty he will not have to pay. And if he is found to have failed in his duty she will likely lose part of her compensation for her own actions and failures which contributed to her injury.

She. Was. A. Police. Officer.

It's a police officers job to protect the public. Geez man, listen to yourself. Thats like a fire fighter suing you for rescuing you out of a burning building because lets say he hurt himself kicking the door down.... its madness mate!!!

She. Was. A. Police. Officer.

It's a police officers job to protect the public. Geez man, listen to yourself. Thats like a fire fighter suing you for rescuing you out of a burning building because lets say he hurt himself kicking the door down.... its madness mate!!!

Fireman do indeed sue the owners of buildings. And sometimes the owners of a burning building get prosecuted for the deaths of firemen.

Try listening to yourself. What part of being a police officer absolves people of having a basic duty of care to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

SB2013 wrote: »
    Fireman do indeed sue the owners of buildings. And sometimes the owners of a burning building get prosecuted for the deaths of firemen.

Try listening to yourself. What part of being a police officer absolves people of having a basic duty of care to you?

Basic duty? She tripped over a kerbstone! sounds like she wasnt looking where she was going.

But you say "basic duty to take care" - so what is her job? Her job is classed as "basic duty to take care of the public" - Look this isn't some tradesmen who comes into your house and has an accident. We all know the score there. But a member of the emergency services.

This is just the sue culture gone mad. What next, if you tell me to fuck off I can sue you for "mental distress" :pac:

Basic duty? She tripped over a kerbstone! sounds like she wasnt looking where she was going.

But you say "basic duty to take care" - so what is her job? Her job is classed as "basic duty to take care of the public" - Look this isn't some tradesmen who comes into your house and has an accident. We all know the score there. But a member of the emergency services.

It's the same thing. Same rules. If she tripped over a kerb out of clumsiness she wont get anything. If she arrived on the scene in the middle of the night and he said "Quick they are around that corner" and failed to mention a large kerb then she might have a case. Like i said, you owe a certain duty of care to anyone on your property, no matter what they are doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

There is however widespread abuse with regards to people ringing for an ambulance via 999 instead of a calling a taxi, getting someone to drive them to hospital etc.

Calling an ambulance when not an EMERGENCY and or/ courtesy of the Medical Card is a crime imo.

• Advertisement

999 what's your emergency ,
    I'm getting burgled intruder is in my house ,
    OK have you carried out a health and safety inspection
    Ehhhh help I need the police
    We will send a health and safety officer first to see is its safe to deploy a police officer please have your insurance details at the ready

Advertisement