Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[From makers of HOMEWORLD] Hardware: Shipbreakers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gbear wrote: »
    So it kinda looks like Homeworld in 2d.

Kinda defeats the purpose a bit.

Still, looks interesting.
    i found the 3d aspect of homeworld only served to confuse the interface and only in one map did i find it useful for circumventing an entire mission, which i dont think was the point of said mission

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone else notice that the various blips, bloops and ambient noise from the UI was almost identical to those in Homeworld? Even the tactical map itself was very similar; these guys are clearly trying to tap into that sense of goodwill and nostalgia by any means necessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Overheal wrote: »
    i found the 3d aspect of homeworld only served to confuse the interface and only in one map did i find it useful for circumventing an entire mission, which i dont think was the point of said mission

Haven't played in a good while but I seem to remember that the micro you could do to avoid, for example, the ion cannons on a heavy cruiser being a bit useful.

That was mostly done away with in HW2. That game was generally dumbed down.
    As much as anything it's a concept with a lot of room to explore.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the various blips, bloops and ambient noise from the UI was almost identical to those in Homeworld? Even the tactical map itself was very similar; these guys are clearly trying to tap into that sense of goodwill and nostalgia by any means necessary...

I wonder how much of that sort of thing you can steal before it's copyright infringement?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like I was more correct with my last post than I thought; it doesn't just look & feel like a Homeworld game, it now officially is one. It'll be renamed 'Homeworld: Shipbreakers' and set within the universe, presumably with the plot, settings and ships to match those we're familiar with from the Homeworld universe:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/1/4684456/gearbox-homeworld-ip-hardware-shipbreakers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's brilliant news. Any new Homeworld is good. We're spoiled for choice with this and the remakes of the original games. Here's hoping for Homeworld 3.

If it is a prequel as planned, (possible Homeworld spoiler)
    i can see the last mission being the discovery of the Guidestone before Homeworld 1
    . Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that the "financial and production resources" Gearbox are offering allow Blackbird to drop the free-to-play aspect and produce a full fledged "boxed" retail game. Should be interesting to see anyway...
    "Gearbox is not in the best spot to make a sci-fi RTS successor," Pitchford said, explaining that the Borderlands developer's expertise lies elsewhere (and it's also busy with Borderlands and other next-gen projects). "We've become expert at production and that's where we can help. I mean, we shipped Duke Nukem Forever, we didn't build it but we made sure it came out. And that's a ****ing miracle."
    Oh Randy, you started that quote so well and then look where you ended up. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It is a miracle DNF was ever released. Not a nice miracle, but a miracle nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Gearbox are really going all out on this IP.

Lets hope they don't **** it up.

I suppose that they can afford to though, seeing as it didn't actually cost them all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And to answer my own question...
    Randy Pitchford @DuvalMagic

@Giolon With our investment, Homeworld Shipbreakers can be a proper commercial release. No need for F2P.
    5:50 PM - 2 Sep 2013

That's One Less Free-To-Play Game To Worry About

Boosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lil_jon_yeah11-268x300.jpg
    Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590dec5.jpg
    liljon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bump

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/homeworld_deserts_of_kharak/b/pc/archive/2015/12/16/homeworld-returns-in-deserts-of-kharak.aspx
    the original article seems to have been pulled. It's on their site but won't open

direct website
    http://www.desertsofkharak.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nothing in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

January 20th 2016, that was quick, and quiet.. hope it's not shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/12/16/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak-announced

Can't get excited. Gameplay looks entirely ordinary.

As for lore and storytelling: where are all of these shipwrecks coming from? The wreck of the Khar-Toba was a unique artifact not discovered until satellite scans revealed it beneath the sand. We were also told in Homeworld 1 that its discovery united all of the clans on Kharak. It was more about archaeology than war. Really just looks like an attempt to squeeze a war game into a period that wasn't very war-filled. Also, throwing another S'jet in there is a bit of a cheap move. You'd swear the S'jets were the only people who did anything in the Homeworld universe (now that we're ignoring the existence of Somtaaw of course!)

Should've just done Homeworld 3. Eejits.

The Khar-Toba was unique because it had the Guidestone, not because it was the only wreck (from what i remember). The Kiith (hello :D) clans knew about their space based past, or at least had stories about it, but never had the Guidestone or Hyperspace core to do anything about it.

Adding a S'Jet for the sake of it is kind of stupid though. It could be a really common name though.

As for the game, it looks great. Hopefully it plays as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »
    The Khar-Toba was unique because it had the Guidestone, not because it was the only wreck (from what i remember).

There is never any mention of other ships, and the initial discovery of the Khar-Toba was huge news, so it wouldn't make sense if there were others.
    The Kiith (hello :D) clans knew about their space based past, or at least had stories about it, but never had the Guidestone or Hyperspace core to do anything about it.

Nope, not at all. In the lore there are biologists who reveal the fact that genetically the Kushan are unrelated to all other life on their planet and it's a shocking revelation. The knowledge had been lost.

Yeah, you're right. I knew it had been something they thought, but didn't realise that it was an almost forgotten theory (or religious belief). Read through the wiki there, and cleared up some of it. Hopefully they don't crap all over the lore.

Well, i'm off to play Homeworld again :P

Advertisement