Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[From makers of HOMEWORLD] Hardware: Shipbreakers

Options
  • 31-03-2013 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

http://kotaku.com/the-stunning-debut-trailer-for-hardware-a-game-by-some-464366720?utm_source=gizmodo.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation
    First revealed all the way back in 2011, it's only today that we're getting our first (barely) moving look at Hardware, a new game from a studio made up of a number of former Relic developers, including Rob Cunningham, Homeworld's art director.
    So if you think the teaser trailer above looks (and sounds) familiar, that's why. It's also why it's giving me goosebumps.

Over the past ten years, ever since we saw the last of the critically-acclaimed Homeworld series, a number of key developers working on games for developers Relic left the studio. Many of them have now settled in at a new home, Blackbird Interactive, where they're working on "an ambitious and original sci-fi social strategy game" called Hardware.
    Among them are Rob Cunningham, who aside from being one of the founders of Relic was also Homeworld's art director. There's also Aaron Kambeitz, the lead artist on Homeworld. Alongside them are guys like Cody Kenworthy (a former Relic art director and visual development supervisor) and former EA Sports guru Yossarian King, who had a big hand in each of the publisher's FIFA, NHL and NBA franchises.
    Hardware is set in a future sci-fi world dominated by Long March Industries, a "ruthless interstellar megacorporation" that controls a lucrative mining planet. This basically entails keeping an eye on the galactic gold rush that's descended on the planet, with the teams of miners coming in to explore, dig and fight each other forming the guts of the game.
    Blackbird say you'll be commanding "a fleet of massive vehicles" in your travels/fights, and that the interaction between players will make Hardware "the world's first planetary-scale social strategy game."
    Which may be true, it may not be, who knows. We've seen nothing of the game other than concept art, but given the pedigree of the artists involved and how damn pretty it looks, I figured it was more than worth sharing.
    We'll hopefully have more on Hardware in the new year, because damn, this art is hot.
    Oh, and Homeworld fans should note: look closely and there are spaceships buried in the sand...
    UPDATE - This predominantly tech-based article from Gamasutra earlier in the week actually has a few scant details on the game.
    Our game is completely new - new IP, an unusual camera, a curious mix of client and server requirements - it will take a ton of experimentation to prove out gameplay ideas and confirm and refine our design.
    For us at Blackbird, platform requirements were nebulous. We wanted to launch on social networks like Facebook, and then move onto mobile platforms including iPhone and Android, but tablets looked pretty good too, and a standalone PC build for Steam distribution also made sense. Consoles were a possibility in the future, depending on the success of the game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Looks pretty interesting but would like to see some gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Few lines in that discription reminds me off new Sim City...

Homeworld was great SP game for me. I know this is not homeworld, but they are marketing it as "from creators of homeworld" so logically we should see some sort of style we loved from old games? Then all this "social strategy game" comes in...

Anyway, need more info as these CGI trailers are worse then toilet paper. You can at least wipe your arse with toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that trailer was so homeworldly

ships buried in the sand, just like on kharrak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hmm, from their website...

"...social strategy game..."
    "...serve a new market by merging AAA and casual gaming..."
    "...free-to-play platform-agnostic content..."

They're hiring a "Monetization Designer" too.

I'm certainly interested in seeing what such a group of talented developers do in an independent company setting but truth be told, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea just yet. As for the links to Homeworld, based on the information given about their team, the strongest ones come from the art side rather than the design and technologies sides so I'd be wary of expecting anything similar to Relic's seminal effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,069 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was all excited until I read the word "social"; funny how such an innocuous word can sound a warning in gamers' minds. Definitely one to wait and see how it pans out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Trailer got me kind of excited (crackly radio sounds!), everything else has brought me back down.

I love the top Youtube comment:
    "ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN"

Choo choo indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If this is a multiplayer strategy mining thing I'm totally in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Trailer is extremely Homeworldy, but i'm not liking some of those descriptions. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but i'll wait to see some sort of actual ingame / inengine footage before getting my hopes up.

Is it too much to ask for someone to make Homeworld 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Hopefully this pans out to be a cracker of a game.
    Mean while, can we please have Homeword 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Blech, "social". Most gamers you have to play with/against online are anything but.

Still, the Homeworldiness of the trailer has my attention. Cautious optimism? Yes, that'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I think I'd rather just smash my head into a big wall, and play homeworld again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think I'd rather just smash my head into a big wall, and play homeworld again.

Leave out the head-smashing and I'm with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Gbear wrote: »
    Leave out the head-smashing and I'm with you.

How will it be a fresh experience without severe brain trauma?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I have no idea what Homeworld is but that trailer was awesome.

I have no idea what Homeworld is but that trailer was awesome.

Amazon: Homeworld (PC CD)

Don't think. Just order.

as there are a lot of Homeworld heads looking in this direction, does anyone know where I can get the Improved Graphics version/mod ? I have a copy of HW2 but its stutters constantly when I try and play it. Annoying.

- Fixed stutter with Complex 844. nvm

gizmo wrote: »
    Amazon: Homeworld (PC CD)

Don't think. Just order.

watch this first..

They really need to get the Homeworld series onto Steam or GOG (hell, even Origin would do). Hate having to order actual cd's these days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

We'll have to wait and see who gets the homeworld ip on april 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Kiith wrote: »
    They really need to get the Homeworld series onto Steam or GOG (hell, even Origin would do). Hate having to order actual cd's these days :pac:

Went looking to buy it on gog after i saw this thread the other day. Hopefully they will get it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We'll have to wait and see who gets the homeworld ip on april 4th

Is that the next auction? Not too sure about the guys currently going for it, they may be fans but they have basically no game development experience, im all for them putting HW1, HW2 and catacalysm on steam gog etc but very apprehensive about them developing HW3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

VinLieger wrote: »
    Is that the next auction? Not too sure about the guys currently going for it, they may be fans but they have basically no game development experience, im all for them putting HW1, HW2 and catacalysm on steam gog etc but very apprehensive about them developing HW3

A valid concern that I share myself, and yeah as far as I've heard the next auction is april 4th

New trailer, with some great looking art and a very Homeworld vibe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,069 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I could watch videos made with that art-style all day, but some actual gameplay would be nice, especially given all the talk about monetization & integration with social networks.

I'm somewhat confused as to how it's a 3D rts if it's going to take place on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

new vid up! some very minimal gameplay footage.

So it kinda looks like Homeworld in 2d.

Kinda defeats the purpose a bit.

Still, looks interesting.

reminded me a little of supreme commander 2

I liked it, the unit chatter was excellent and gave a nice scavenger type feel to the video, hopefully it translates into the game too.

• Advertisement

Oh, got a bit of a Ground Control look with a Battlezone vibe from that, far from a bad thing :)

Advertisement