Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student - assessment test

Options
  • 30-03-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello, I am applying in UCC to study Law as a mature student. In the MSOGuide2013 I read that "The selection of successful candidates can be based solely on the personal statement, but in most cases an assessment test or interview may be required." And the UCC site says this "Mature applicants should apply directly through the CAO (www.cao.ie) and are required to sit an Assessment test and may be called for interview."
    So, my question is do I sit and wait UCC to contact me for the assessment test, or is there a date for this test that I didn`t see.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Ring the law faculty office in Aras na laoi immediately I would say...021-4902220

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ismellokay

Hi, I applied for the exact same thing and just this morning I got a letter to come and take the assessment test... its on the 25th of April at 7 pm.
    It says on the letter no legal knowledge is required, which is a good thing for me..
    Does anyone know what it entails, maybe there is something I could do to improve my chances of doing well?

Hope you get your place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ralna

I contacted Anne Wallace, she told me the same thing. I am still waiting for my letter though, but I am in Bulgaria and I don`t know when will it come :) Do you live in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micly

Hi I have applied for Law in UCC too and received a letter today to attend an assessment test on the 25th at 7pm. Yours might come tomorrow. If not, I would contact them to find out. Good luck with it. Does anyone know anything about the assessment test? Is there any way of preparing for it? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Everyone says that you can`t get prepared and that no legal knowledge is required. I didn`t understand if it is different every year though. I think they just want to see how we think(and write it). We`ll see on 25th ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Hello, I think that if it was the BA in law that you are applying for, you would have been required to sit the MSAP test which is probably the assessment that they are talking about. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.msap.acer.edu.au/

I think you should contact the mature students office in UCC ASAP.

"MSAP assessment for admission to the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences". The Law is in College of business and law.

Did the letter say what documents we need to bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micly

You have to bring photo ID.
    This is not the MSAP. IT is a separate assessment test for Law

Thanks, micly :)

• Advertisement

I feel so unprepared...
    not to mention my spelling is atrocious so I wish we could bring a dictionary :(

I finally got my letter. I think that this test will be taken into account if they hesitate about someone, I believe that the personal statement is the most important. So, just do good on the test. See you on 25th ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'm also attending on the 25th for the assessment test. Just wondering about the photo ID, passport I assume is ok? (Still waiting for my new drivers licence in the post).

Kinda nervous! Have taken a half day from work to try and mentally prepare for it. I have done absolutlely nothing in the way of preparation however. Anyone I've asked just says it's a general aptitude test with a legal slant, not a detailed answer really.

So now what - we wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jgkl

Ralna wrote: »
    So now what - we wait?

How many did the test?

jgkl wrote: »
    How many did the test?

30-40 in my room, but I am not sure how many exactly. There were exams in two other rooms/buildings too. Also, we were together evening and daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Everyone says that you can`t get prepared and that no legal knowledge is required. I didn`t understand if it is different every year though. I think they just want to see how we think(and write it). We`ll see on 25th ;)
    If memory serves it's an essay (though i remember someone saying it had changed - email the mature student officer and ask him/her.)

General advice would be to read good articles, esp recent ones, in the Irish Times or the English Independent or similar. The topic doesn't matter too much, more the way a point is brought forward/ developed/concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

So now what - we wait?
    lol. it's over?

shud a read that first!

jgkl wrote: »
    How many did the test?

I lost count at 42 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fluffynoeshair

I thought It was just the one room? I was in G1 Kane building, there was maybe 35-40 in there. A few people left pretty early, as in the first 45 minutes. Had a quick glance at the sheet we had to sign, for either the day or night Law course. Looked to me that a fair few were going for the night course.

• Advertisement

I was in G1 Kane building too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

When are the mature students offered their places? i know its in may, but does it vary? What date in may is it likely to be?

When are the mature students offered their places? i know its in may, but does it vary? What date in may is it likely to be?

I know about july...

July definitely.Hope it went ok for you all

The exams are very easy compared to this waiting game. :confused:

Some people I know were in Kane G1, I was in Boole 1 which was majority EBCL. I counted over 50 people in that room alone. My friends in G1 said there was high numbers there too.

During the information night I thought Seán Ó'Conaill said we'd have formal offers in June. Maybe I picked that up incorrectly though.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Some people I know were in Kane G1, I was in Boole 1 which was majority EBCL. I counted over 50 people in that room alone. My friends in G1 said there was high numbers there too.

During the information night I thought Seán Ó'Conaill said we'd have formal offers in June. Maybe I picked that up incorrectly though.

That could be for the evening law.I think the full time offers must come from the CAO in July

Has anybody been called for an interview?

Just got a letter this morning for an interview on the 23rd, said I had been shortlisted. Anyone else get one?

• Advertisement

yeah I got a letter....
    I was rejected :( haha

Advertisement