Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books that disappointed you

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I actually agree that The Little Friend is more well written than The Secret History. Overall, I enjoyed the experience of reading TLF than TSH (even though I really liked TSH too) except for... I'll say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The Lord of the Rings.

"Oh, ere, I'd love to be drinking ale in The Shire right now"

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

"Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Absolute manure. Pure ignorance got me to the end because I wouldn't let it beat me! Tubridy absolutely raved about this one. Maybe that should have been an indicator of what was to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

I was looking for a book similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. Medieval fantasy, low magic. This book kept on popping up time and time again. Even the reviewers of one very professional looking book review site rated it higher than Lord of the Rings.

I thought this was an exaggeration but felt that it must be pretty good if they are going to make as controversial statement as that. I got the book and really regretted it. I got to just past halfway and couldn't take it anymore. I read five other books in the time it took me to read the second half of that one.

The main character was annoyingly perfect and the storyline just seemed to be going nowhere very slowly. I finished the book out eventually and never looked at the series or the author again.

A year and a half on, the massively positive reviews this book got absolutely baffle me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

IQ84 - 1000 pages of pish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

heldel00 wrote: »
    "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Absolute manure. Pure ignorance got me to the end because I wouldn't let it beat me! Tubridy absolutely raved about this one. Maybe that should have been an indicator of what was to come!

Totally agree. V overrated. The key for me was that I couldn't buy that the 'donors' were so compliant and acquiescent in their 'destiny'. None of them tried to fight it, they seemed to have no survival instinct. It made the whole book impossible to take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Saipanne wrote: »
    The Lord of the Rings.

"Oh, ere, I'd love to be drinking ale in The Shire right now"

The end.

Spoiler alert! :-)

Advertisement