Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books that disappointed you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

judgefudge wrote: »
    Room really was a terrible terrible book.

Utter scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Easily one of the biggest bore-fests I've ever had the misfortune of reading. The fact that I stuck with it is a testament to my ability to put up with banal ****e. it is the literary equivalent of Batman and Robin (the one staring George Clooney) except, I did actually walk out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Dracula

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Could only get half way through Life of Pi. Found it pretty boring. One of the few books I never bothered finishing. But as I never heard anything about it when it was given to me, it wasn't really a disappointment.

Slaughterhouse 5 probably disappointed me a bit. Had read a lot about it prior to reading and was just a bit underwhelmed by it. Still enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Easily one of the biggest bore-fests I've ever had the misfortune of reading. The fact that I stuck with it is a testament to my ability to put up with banal ****e. it is the literary equivalent of Batman and Robin (the one staring George Clooney) except, I did actually walk out of that.

:( I just started that! I've found it pretty good so far but I have no idea where it's going.

• Advertisement

I'm reading IQ84 at the minute. It was all brilliant till it made me massively uncomfortable. Powering through just for the sake of it now.

:( I just started that! I've found it pretty good so far but I have no idea where it's going.

NOWHERE! Abandon this as a lost cause, 1000 + pages of some some big dude making lunch and being a boring git, I also powered through this but my time would have been better spent rubbing peppers into my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I was considering reading 1Q84, but the summary on Goodreads bored me enough to make me stop thinking that way

City of Bohane is boring me to tears. Depressing and angry

I hadn't read anything about it before I picked it up, on a whim, because I liked the cover (to be honest). I heard he was a good author though. Anyway, I'm a 100 pages in, I'll reserve judgement til I finish the first book (400 pages)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

MaggieNF wrote: »
    I was considering reading 1Q84, but the summary on Goodreads bored me enough to make me stop thinking that way

The whole magic realism genre seems to divide people in general. I loved it, and found the slow pace and mundane descriptions of life in Japan in the early 80's to be fantastic.

It's not difficult to read, but it can be rather obscure.

Another vote here for Catch-22. It's one concept and a couple of repeating jokes spread over 400 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

bluewolf wrote: »
    Moby Dick
    Just no :(

Jaysus my sister is obsessed with that book

markesmith wrote: »

Are you sure its not the video? ahem ^ ^ I'll get me coat.

Sergeant wrote: »
    The whole magic realism genre seems to divide people in general. I loved it, and found the slow pace and mundane descriptions of life in Japan in the early 80's to be fantastic.

It's not difficult to read, but it can be rather obscure.

Another vote here for Catch-22. It's one concept and a couple of repeating jokes spread over 400 pages.

xQkdd.jpg

I haven't come across any descriptions of lunches yet. But I actually love reading above food... Particularly oriental food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I hated the Hunger Games trilogy. Couldn't finish the first one. The film version of it was great though.

There's rarely a book I'd say was disappointing though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

xQkdd.jpg

Lots of descriptions of long streets and female pubic hair as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

markesmith wrote: »

Are you sure it's the book, or simply dick she's obsessed with! Ha. Sorry.

For me it has to be A Tale of Two Cities.
    Just couldn't get into a rhythm with it. I will try again.

xQkdd.jpg

The only part I dispute is ears.

La_Gordy wrote: »
    The only part I dispute is ears.

Haven't finished the book then I take it ^ ^.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 paglynncashel

The Tin drum by Gunter Grasse.. absolutely turgid read... hated it

Happy to add IQ84 to this list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I stopped reading Norwegian Wood after about 100 pages.. I really don't get whats to like or enjoy about Murakami.

I'm about 100 pages into book three of 1Q84 now. I can't say I'm finding it to be fantastic but it's not the worst thing I've ever read. Got the third book because I just wanted to be sure after I'd read the whole thing (when I abandon books I always feel guilty and wonder if they were just about to get good).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I read last week that Kevin Barry's novel City of Bohane has been nominated for the Impac prize. I would nominate it for this thread, I absolutely love his two collections of short stories but that novel is pure rubbish(in my opinion obviously).

I had heard such good things about Netherland that it was also a bit of a disappointment to me.

I'm usually disappointed with the Booker winners also but of course there are exceptions or I wouldn't read them at all.

I'm about 100 pages into book three of 1Q84 now. I can't say I'm finding it to be fantastic but it's not the worst thing I've ever read. Got the third book because I just wanted to be sure after I'd read the whole thing (when I abandon books I always feel guilty and wonder if they were just about to get good).

Stop now before its too late! The book continues like this all the way until its over and all you have left, is a feeling that you just wasted your time reading 1000+ pages of nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

(when I abandon books I always feel guilty and wonder if they were just about to get good).

I am the same and for that reason I can count on my fingers the number of books I haven't finished. Even then I can't bring myself to admit they are abandoned. I keep them in case the day comes I have nothing to read.

I think it is the same as the feeling that you have to clean your plate, and it is equally unhealthy. It made sense in a time of want when all nutrition had to be gobbled up but in a time of plenty it leads to obesity. Same with books. There is now such easy and cheap access to so many good books that it makes no sense to finish reading a bad one but I still do it.

I've already read 1000 pages of it. I'm just not really enjoying it. If it has one of those vague endings where loose ends are left I'll be really angry...

I agree that you shouldn't read books you're not enjoying... But i cant help myself. Which is why there's still a bookmark in one hundred years of solitude. I'll go back to it at some stage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

On the Road - Jack Kerouac
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Both were boring as hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

binncheol wrote: »
    On the Road - Jack Kerouac
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Both were boring as hell

I loved both those although Gatsby had moments that seemed like hard work at the time, I wouldn't ever consider On the Road boring even if it's not your cup of tea.

What kind of books do you normally like?

Advertisement