Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has an IRFU contract?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Hmm

Can't think of many more who would be in line for one then, barring renewls.

I'd agree with Henderson and Marshall getting ones as soon as they are due to renew. Both will be fixtures in the Irish side for the next decade barring injury. Henderson's is up in 2015, not sure about Marshall.

Gilroy i'm not sure about, lots of depth at wing. His contract is until 2016 aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I thought Earls signed a central contract at the same time as Leamy did back in 2012.

yeah your right.

2 year deal, contract up in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I'd agree with Henderson and Marshall getting ones as soon as they are due to renew. Both will be fixtures in the Irish side for the next decade barring injury. Henderson's is up in 2015, not sure about Marshall.

Gilroy i'm not sure about, lots of depth at wing. His contract is until 2016 aswell.

Ye Gilroy is debateable alright, I was just assuming if they were renewing central contracts tomorrow and guys were free to sign who would get one.

I edited my first post, I suppose Murray would be up there for one aswell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

LUPE wrote: »
    :confused:

Don't be a grammar nazi.
    you are still clueless.

Keep it civil, please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

2013 Ferris BOD Wallace ROG Sexton
    2014 Darcy Heaslip Ryan DOC POC Best Court Earls``
    2015 Ross POM Kearney Trimble Bowe
    2016 Healy

By my count the above is the current situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

My guess is that Trimble got one because Gilroy and Zebo are on provincial contracts until 2016. Not saying it's right but maybe the IRFU thought they had one spare so lets use it to keep Trimble in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 boardieboardie

What practical difference does it make whether a player is on a central or provincial contract? Say for someone like Sean O'Brien who's a guaranteed starter for both Ireland and Leinster anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What practical difference does it make whether a player is on a central or provincial contract? Say for someone like Sean O'Brien who's a guaranteed starter for both Ireland and Leinster anyway?

From what I understand, provincial contract players basically would get a smaller salary but appearance fees for Ireland, while central ones would have a larger salary but no appearance fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

From what I understand, provincial contract players basically would get a smaller salary but appearance fees for Ireland, while central ones would have a larger salary but no appearance fee.

if a player is on an IRFU contract the province doesn't have to play anything for his services. hugely advantageous to have players on these contracts.

So when Leinster lose Johnny Sexton and have to pay out for the likes of Jimmy Gopperth it hits them financially doubly.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    if a player is on an IRFU contract the province doesn't have to play anything for his services. hugely advantageous to have players on these contracts.

So when Leinster lose Johnny Sexton and have to pay out for the likes of Jimmy Gopperth it hits them financially doubly.

Sorry, that as well, I just mean't from the player's viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Can't understand how SOB would turn down a central contract in favour of a provincial one. Is that fact or just hearsay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Was Sexton not on one till this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Murray's current contract is up at end of this season and I haven't seen anywhere that he has signed a new deal. I wonder if it will be another Munster one or if it will be a central one when he signs.
    I read somewhere that the IRFU where cutting down o the amount of central contracts.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Can't understand how SOB would turn down a central contract in favour of a provincial one. Is that fact or just hearsay?

It's true. I think I remember Darcy saying he made more when he was dropped to a provincial contract due to appearance fees as he was still playing every match. Maybe something like that is the reason SOB turned it down. It sounds weird alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

mohawk wrote: »
    Murray's current contract is up at end of this season and I haven't seen anywhere that he has signed a new deal. I wonder if it will be another Munster one or if it will be a central one when he signs.
    I read somewhere that the IRFU where cutting down o the amount of central contracts.

You'd think that Murray would get one. He's one of the few players who has no real competitor for his jersey.

It's true. I think I remember Darcy saying he made more when he was dropped to a provincial contract due to appearance fees as he was still playing every match. Maybe something like that is the reason SOB turned it down. It sounds weird alright.

Seems like a big risk. If you get hurt, and miss out on the Irish games it would be a big loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Seems like a big risk. If you get hurt, and miss out on the Irish games it would be a big loss...

i thought SOB was on a leinster contract because 2 years ago when he was out of contract (and Wallace was ahead of him ireland wise) leinster tied him down to a longer contract. assume he would go up onto IRFU contract when that expires.
    Would assume the IRFU deals pay better than provincial contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Trimble is getting paid by the IRFU, then does that mean he is paid in the Republic of Ireland? And does that mean he gets the tax break?

That whole thing confuses me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Would it have anything to do with the fact that a player like SOB would be leaving his options open for a possible move to England/France etc.?
    i feel that more players will follow Sexton to play abroad now that the 'ice has been broken'.!

If Trimble is getting paid by the IRFU, then does that mean he is paid in the Republic of Ireland? And does that mean he gets the tax break?

That whole thing confuses me

Definitely not. He would have to be resident in the republic to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Hard to imagine how Wallace ever managed to get a central contract seeing as he was never a regular starter for Ireland, maybe it was because Ulster would've had very few on central contracts at the time.

Seeing as SOB doesnt have a central contract does that mean he doesnt fall under the player welfare scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

washman3 wrote: »
    Would it have anything to do with the fact that a player like SOB would be leaving his options open for a possible move to England/France etc.?
    i feel that more players will follow Sexton to play abroad now that the 'ice has been broken'.!

i think the general opinion is that SO'B is unlikely to leave with the farm and all.

Advertisement