Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The film god's are in a vengeful mood, Freddie Jones, the father of Toby has passed. A long career in British film, esp genre material. Great turn in Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,592 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP Rip :( one of my favourite character actors.

I was hoping he might pop up in Dodgeball 2

RIP Rip Torn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The film god's are in a vengeful mood, Freddie Jones, the father of Toby has passed. A long career in British film, esp genre material. Great turn in Firefox.

Any time I read his name, I hear it in his voice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Bowie Torn and Roeg

tumblr_of3lx4Z7Jk1ugaxn5o1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

RIP Valentina Cortese
    born 1923 - acted for Fellini, Truffaut, Zeffirelli...
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0181305/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Denise Nickerson (Violet Beauregard in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) dead after an illness at 62.

Violet was the moral winner of the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Quietly menacing in The Elephant Man too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

David Hedison has died at 92. He did a huge amount of TV work, but in terms of movies was probably best known as Andre Delambre in the original 1958 version of The Fly, or as CIA man Felix Leiter in a couple of the Bond movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This should be a general RIP thread, TBH. (Not just for lesser known stars)

Rutger Hauer has died, age 75. RIP.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rutger-hauer-dead-dies-blade-runner-co-star-1203278050/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Mr E wrote: »

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rutger-hauer-dead-dies-blade-runner-co-star-1203278050/

Such an amazing actor :(

....time to die.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,303 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Roy Batty wrote:
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
    All those moments will be lost in time,
    like tears in rain.
    Time to die.

Almost as satisfying to read as it is to listen to. RIP Rutger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heck of a screen presence that man. Could elevate roles that would have been thankless for many other actors.

Ah fvck, my dad used to let me watch a lot of his films, as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Ah He was terrifying in The Hitcher as well for anyone who Hasn't seen it, not a movie that's talked about a whole lot anymore.Didn't get great reviews at the time according to rotten tomatoes and Meta Critic which suprised me because I loved it when I first watched it. Siskel and Ebert found it repulsive so they must of been doing something right lol.

R.I.P. :(

Hauer made a lot of crappy pictures but he was always solid and enjoyable. A real shame.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

One of my fav actors from when I was young.... The hitcher had him as such a malevolent and unrelenting psycho....

And so much of his most famous speech as ad libbed too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Nika McGuigan RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mr E wrote: »

Ah crap. Have a lot of fond memories of the man in a lot of films I like.

But, he doesn't belong in a less famous RIP thread. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

D.A. Pennebaker passed away recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/04/da-pennebaker-obituary

Music fans will remember him as the man who effectively "invented" the modern music documentary, with films such as Bob Dylan: Don't Look Back in 1967, Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars (which captured their last live performance) Monterey Pop and Depeche Mode 101.

He also made great documentaries about John DeLorean and The War Room - which examined Bill Clinton's 1992 Election campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,592 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Peter Fonda has died

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

There are actors that epitomise a certain era, that have a type of "cool" presence, Fonda was absolutely one of those. Sad news.

And now Richard Williams the genius of Who Framed Roger Rabbit has died. It's been ages since I saw that on the tv hopefully it'll get a showing now. He spent years getting that film up and running and likewise The Thief and the Cobbler which was decades in work and taken away from him in the end and featured a brilliant cast Vincent Price, Anthony Quayle, Kenneth Williams and Stanley Baxter.

The Williams approved "unfinished" version is now under lock and key but the workprint is on youtube where it's officially sanctioned.

He also did that great opening credits work two of the later Pink Panthers films

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patricia Louisiana Knop died aged 78 on August 7th.

She was the screen writer and producer of 9 1/2 Weeks, Wild Orchid & The Red Shoe Dairies.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/patricia-louisiana-knop-dies-screenwriter-for-9-1-2-weeks-wild-orchid-1202670374/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Peter Fonda has died

RIP

For anyone that played GTA San Andreas he also voiced The Truth (hippy guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

There are actors that epitomise a certain era, that have a type of "cool" presence, Fonda was absolutely one of those. Sad news.

Although he's unquestionably connected to the counter-culture 60s era, he did from time to time appear in other varied and very fine movies over the decades.

92 in the Shade, The Hired Hand, Ulee's Gold, 3:10 to Yuma and (in particular) Steven Soderberg's The Limey were excellent performances.

RIP Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry was a favourite of mine, also his cameo in Wild Hogs

92 in the Shade has one of the best casts of American character actors ever assembled I reckon.

One of my favourite trash classics is Race with the Devil - given additional added value thanks to Warren Oates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

92 in the Shade has one of the best casts of American character actors ever assembled I reckon.

One of my favourite trash classics is Race with the Devil - given additional added value thanks to Warren Oates.

Ah yes, had forgotten Race with the Devil, a B+ movie!

Re Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, I drive my better half crazy by shouting out the title anytime I drive across an unmanned railway crossing!

Advertisement