Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouija Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Dave! wrote: »

See: Deepak Chopra for further examples of this. See: Leonard Mlodinow for ownage of DC.

Scientist vs Charlatan. I would say that Leonard argues well, but it's hard to argue against the kind of psuedo-pseudo-scientific drivel that Deepak spouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Ah, the inevitable appeal to quantum mechanics. Standard stuff for paranormal proponents. It looks something like this:

QM is weird => anything is possible, including the paranormal stuff I'm into.

You'll be hard-pressed to find too many prominent physicists who would row in behind you on that one. However wacky things get on a quantum level, our macro world is a lot more predictable and consistent than that, so you deciding to bypass years of studying physics, and bypassing the ongoing research that is being done on the subject, in order to draw conclusions from QM that you think support your beliefs... It's a bit premature.

Maybe you should focus on demonstrating that paranormal phenomena actually occur, and that you're actually believing in something real, before jumping to attempting to show a mechanism. Trying to introduce esoteric science concepts that you half-understand is a transparent trick that paranormal enthusiasts like to resort to.

See: Deepak Chopra for further examples of this. See: Leonard Mlodinow for ownage of DC.

Seen them all many years ago.
    You'll be hard-pressed to find too many prominent physicists who would row in behind you on that one.

Oh really, well the majority of physicists in public would totally discount everything in relation to this, but when you talk to them in private off the record then it's a different kettle of fish altogether as they always say the same thing...if i talk about any of this and my private studies, my career will be ended permanently. They do study this stuff, but only in private.

Dave, let me start by saying this...where in my posts did i mention paranormal ? I was just trying to explain that strange things could happen in this matter/energy scenario as was already mentioned in relation to electrons being in two places at the same time, so just think for a minute of what this would entail... If this is the case that electrons can be in two places at the same time then doesn't that count in the theory that strange things can happen that we have no understanding of at this time of which we have no idea ? or are people so adamant to believe that what you see and are told to be all there is in reality as you see ?.

I don't give a fart either way what people believe or not believe, or whether they are philosophical or not. Science now at this stage is humble and in religious mode. My interests are in the work of real scientists that have no problem of leaving the square box and strive to learn the answers to strange and interesting things.

Ah, the old saying when a person doesn't understand the subject of quantum mechanics, as you think it's all nonsensical because you cannot fathom that it's all real down to the crazy dimension or different dimensions as the brain cannot handle the input ?. All possibilities are on the table, whether you like it or not.

As Yoda said...open your mind. :D

zenno wrote: »
    Seen them all many years ago.

Oh really, well the majority of physicists in public would totally discount everything in relation to this, but when you talk to them in private off the record then it's a different kettle of fish altogether as they always say the same thing...if i talk about any of this and my private studies, my career will be ended permanently. They do study this stuff, but only in private.

Dave, let me start by saying this...where in my posts did i mention paranormal ? I was just trying to explain that strange things could happen in this matter/energy scenario as was already mentioned in relation to electrons being in two places at the same time, so just think for a minute of what this would entail... If this is the case that electrons can be in two places at the same time then doesn't that count in the theory that strange things can happen that we have no understanding of at this time of which we have no idea ? or are people so adamant to believe that what you see and are told to be all there is in reality as you see ?.

I don't give a fart either way what people believe or not believe, or whether they are philosophical or not. Science now at this stage is humble and in religious mode. My interests are in the work of real scientists that have no problem of leaving the square box and strive to learn the answers to strange and interesting things.

Ah, the old saying when a person doesn't understand the subject of quantum mechanics, as you think it's all nonsensical because you cannot fathom that it's all real down to the crazy dimension or different dimensions as the brain cannot handle the input ?. All possibilities are on the table, whether you like it or not.

As Yoda said...open your mind.

If there is an argument in there somewhere, I couldn't find it

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    If there is an argument in there somewhere, I couldn't find it

Keiser...It's in there, but each of my posts are related so look closely you will find it, if you open your mind.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

OK, Kaiser soze has just killed my optimism and time. I said what i wanted to say so take it as you like. But i don't mind what way you take it because i'm flexible and i don't blowup over peoples thoughts or philosophies.

Ain't nothing going to break my stride...

Nice song.

Enjoy your easter eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Keiser...It's in there, but each of my posts are related so look closely you will find it, if you open your mind.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

OK, Kaiser soze has just killed my optimism and time. I said what i wanted to say so take it as you like. But i don't mind what way you take it because i'm flexible and i don't blowup over peoples thoughts or philosophies.

Ain't nothing going to break my stride...

Nice song.

Enjoy your easter eggs.

Looks like you need an exorcist.

• Advertisement

That's what the mental health folks told me 20 years ago LOL nothing new here, carry on.

Ah sure, surely it's only right, and the moral thing to do to let a mental-case from omenbogglell asylum out for the easter holidays to play with a computer ? do you not think so ? going back on tuesday for 6 months so i'll leave you Frada to get stuck in like a spanish bull out of know-where as that is where you popup from now and again. If you want to see a ghost, watch Frada.

It was a fantastic worbely holiday i had but i need to do one more thing before i go back to omenbogglell asylum.

Have a guess what that is ??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

wat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Have a guess what that is ??? :)
    I'll consult my ouija board and get back to you. ;)

wat

Open your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Open your mind.

Open it indeed, but to quote Richard Dawkins, 'Not so much that your brain falls out'.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Open it indeed, but to quote Richard Dawkins, 'Not so much that your brain falls out'.

That's a very well known 'saying' indeed. I agree.

Ok slackers tell me how a ghost cannot exist after breaking down all matter to the atom as far as we know. The crystalline particles in certain rocks can, in my opinion store energy, even of a persons electrical field and hold it for decades or longer.

So tell me you scientists if you think this is possible with the science technology we have now.

I'm hitting back at you, the people that work in this field, if there's any here at all...give a good explanation as to the request above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ok slackers tell me how a ghost cannot exist after breaking down all matter to the atom as far as we know. The crystalline particles in certain rocks can, in my opinion store energy, even of a persons electrical field and hold it for decades or longer.

So tell me you scientists if you think this is possible with the science technology we have now.

I'm hitting back at you, the people that work in this field, if there's any here at all...give a good explanation as to the request above.

That's not how it works. You don't get to make up nonsense and then ask people to disprove it.

You need to explain how a ghost can exist or at least show that they do.

Yawn. More mumbo jumbo. The onus is on you to prove that they do exist. In the absence of such proof anywhere, ever then I can safely say that they don't. If you find such a concept hard to grasp then I suggest you google Russell's Teapot

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    dont ever mess with them..end of..you have been warned!
    Yes, I remember an old man telling me he got one and for years & years he was haunted by the voices of children saying "remember we wanted hungry hungry hippos for Christmas and you got us that crap ouija board toy instead, REMEMBER!".

These kinds of discussions always boil down to "Science can't explain everything, therefore my crazy idea could be true".

You'll also regularly get the "You can't disprove my crazy theory" response as though your inability to disprove the nonsense and the inability of the believer to prove their nonsense puts the two positions on an equal footing.

Someone mentioned the paranormal forum earlier as if it was evidence for paranormal phenomena. Seriously? That place is full of people like me who post nonsense in there for a laugh. I think that place is about a third trolls, a third believer and a third "paranormal researcher". If it's evidence for anything, it's for the ease at which the scientifically ignorant can be fooled into believing practically anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I don't think anyone should mess with that kind of stuff....on account of it being complete and utter bullsh!t and a waste of time.

Try making friends with people who are alive - they're the ones who give you presents etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

ive tried it. id LOVE if it worked coz it would actually prove to me the supernatural exists. hasnt proved sh1t so far

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Yawn. More mumbo jumbo. The onus is on you to prove that they do exist. In the absence of such proof anywhere, ever then I can safely say that they don't. If you find such a concept hard to grasp then I suggest you google Russell's Teapot

How can i prove that they exist ? how can you prove they don't exist ?

Ok it's a tricky one. But just say for instance that you have the building blocks of cement of which is mixed with many minerals including quartz crystal to build a house say or other mixtures of crystal that we get in different rocks

You build this house of which contains these elements and then the person that lives there dies in that house...His/her body dies and the electrical part of this body has to dissipate somewhere.

Say if this electrical energy from this person is drawn toward the concrete of either walls in this house of which would have magnetic properties anyway and it has combined with these materials in energy form as magnetical structures in concrete can hold a charge, and just say that after a certain time and the right temperature or magnetic influence caused the crystals and the other materials in the rock to be able to form either a hologram of this person or a ghostly apparition of this..

I'm just saying that it could be possible under certain conditions. Many people seen things like this mostly in surroundings of buildings so i think there is something in the make-up of the building blocks and the mixture of different natural chemicals in the rock that can somehow record the electrical energy of a living being.

I could be wrong but at least i'm trying to offer an explanation. It's up to the scientist to either rule this theory out or make the logical point in their calculations and findings. They know certain rocks can hold energy like a capacitor but they don't know the unusual workings of how it actually can project energy in the form we are talking about yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I'm just saying that it could be possible under certain conditions.

The body contains electrical impulses created by chemicals (which are far more prominent that the electricity in our bodies) which is used up in the decaying process.

Your theory, like ouija boards, is bullsh!t. No offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Ouijaaah... did some stoned french rasta make that one up or what

• Advertisement

The body contains electrical impulses created by chemicals (which are far more prominent that the electricity in our bodies) which is used up in the decaying process.

Your theory, like ouija boards, is bullsh!t. No offence.

No offence taken. ;)

What about an energy source we know that is there but we can't measure it like dark matter. What is your opinion on this.

If that was the case then it could have bindings to all life-forms of which is undetectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

I used one three nights ago and contacted my late aunt to tell her that her property tax form had arrived.

I could be wrong but at least i'm trying to offer an explanation. It's up to the scientist to either rule this theory out or make the logical point in their calculations and findings. They know certain rocks can hold energy like a capacitor but they don't know the unusual workings of how it actually can project energy in the form we are talking about yet.

Before offering an explanation for something, you need to demonstrate that the something exists in the first place. It's like trying to explain why the world is flat - a completely worthless exercise if the world isn't actually flat.

This is the problem. You're starting off with the assumption that ghosts exist and then trying to explain them. When I see proof of their existence, you can be sure that I, along with other sceptically minded people, will be genuinely fascinated to read about the mechanisms by which they exist and communicate with us.

That should happen any day now what with smartphones, cctv, dashcams etc being everywhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I wonder how many of those who so doggedly dismiss the existence of the paranormal will go to mass on Sunday to celebrate a man coming back to life having been dead for 3 days.

Before offering an explanation for something, you need to demonstrate that the something exists in the first place. It's like trying to explain why the world is flat - a completely worthless exercise if the world isn't actually flat.

This is the problem. You're starting off with the assumption that ghosts exist and then trying to explain them When I see proof of their existence, you can be sure that I, along with other sceptically minded people, will be genuinely fascinated to read about the mechanisms by which they exist and communicate with us.

That should happen any day now what with smartphones, cctv, dashcams etc being everywhere.

No. I was giving an example of if it was possible, read the comment again properly.

It makes me sad to see people that believe in an invisible man of which there is no scientific proof for this being as they call HIM as if God was a flesh and blood man and when i try to make a case for the possibility and how some strange phenomena could occur then i'm the sap, dope idiot whatever.

Some people can't expand their mind further than 6 feet from the TV.

Anyway i have questions that i want answered and no scientist can fcuking answer them because their funding is the important thing but you people have no excuse, wake up ffs. there are things here and in space that we know nothing about yet.

xzanti wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those who so doggedly dismiss the existence of the paranormal will go to mass on Sunday to celebrate a man coming back to life having been dead for 3 days.

Quite a few, unfortunately. They'll happily dismiss one form of bullshít and readily accept another. That's the thing with bullshít - there are so many kinds that that people can pick and choose which kinds they like to believe in.

I won't be at mass on sunday - I know that zombie jews were bullshít before I know that board games couldn't contact the dead.

Quite a few, unfortunately. They'll happily dismiss one form of bullshít and readily accept another. That's the thing with bullshít - there are so many kinds that that people can pick and choose which kinds they like to believe in.

I won't be at mass on sunday - I know that zombie jews were bullshít before I know that board games couldn't contact the dead.

Yeah, great attitude, everything is Bullsh1t in your books. Why comment here if you have no real input ?. A valid comment.

Not one of you have gave any input as to....'how can you prove they don't exist' ? all you have done is attack. Give reasons and very scientific reasons that you believe this is not possible.

Can you do that ? if so....Be my guest and explain why my comments and ideas are wrong in your brain...Don't just attack me, give a viable answer to this age old phenomena and strangeness.

Especially keiser soze...you are asked why this phenomena is rubbish...please give a good answer. A scientific answer with real results.

If you don't respond with a reasonable answer to these questions then I will take your previous comments as trolling, with no substance.

No I was giving an example of if it was possible, read the comment again properly.

I'll grant you that but it's still Russel's Teapot territory.
    It makes me sad to see people that believe in an invisible man of which there is no scientific proof for this being as they call HIM as if God was a flesh and blood man and when i try to make a case for the possibility and how some strange phenomena could occur then i'm the sap, dope idiot whatever.

I don't make the distinction between belief in gods and belief in ghosts. It's the same thing - artifacts of life after death. I don't believe in that either.

I'm not sure if people are calling you a sap or an idiot. I would describe people who believe in gods and ghosts as scientifically ignorant and logically deficient. Gullible maybe.
    Some people can't expand their mind further than 6 feet from the TV.

You mean people who dismiss the idea of ghosts? Most of the nonsense promoting belief in ghosts comes from the tv. In fact, tv programming rarely promotes scepticism. I think you have it backwards.
    Anyway i have questions that i want answered and no scientist can fcuking answer them because their funding is the important thing but you people have no excuse, wake up ffs. there are things here and in space that we know nothing about yet.

Scientists have tested for paranormal effects and come up with nothing. The funding has been provided, research was undertaken and nothing was found. There has been lots of research into paranormal phenomena and if you can't find it despite your desire for answers, you mustn't be looking very hard. The only problem is that all the good research is coming back negative so it must be a conspiracy, right?

As for things in space that we know nothing about, scientists are always working on learning more about the universe. They are constrained by logic unfortunately and this is the reason that that the best they could do is work out the age of the universe, send a probe to the edge of our solar system, unwrap the genome, cure some cancers and create the internet.

If only they opened their minds and wasted their time on explaining unproven phenomena, maybe we'd be doing better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

When I was about 9, myself and a couple of kids messed around with a Ouija board. Nothing special happened at the time, but that night I woke up to see a Yoda like figure standing quietly watching me from the top of the wardrobe.

Paralysed with fear, I was :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Duckjob wrote: »
    When I was about 9, myself and a couple of kids messed around with a Ouija board. Nothing special happened at the time, but that night I woke up to see a Yoda like figure standing quietly watching me from the top of the wardrobe.

Paralysed with fear, I was.

Sleep paralysis is horrendous!

Advertisement