Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Ulster, Sat 30th March, 18.15 RDS RTE/BBCNI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Grimebox wrote: »
    On paper this looks likes its Ulster's to lose

I don't know about that, Leinster have a very strong team out also and are in better form at the moment and are unbeaten at home in the Rabo this season. I would consider Leinster slight favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not a bit of it. You can't underestimate the advantage Leinster have in the scrum, plus while we have many of our big names back they are playing their first game in a while so they'll be rusty. I can't see a big Ulster performance, more an oiling of the rustiness ahead of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Never seen that Ulster tighthead play before, what age is he and is he any use?

Lutton hasn't had a start fro Ulster yet. He has been good in the AIL but that's it. He played for a season or two(?) in the ITM I think but ..or should that be BUT...he is listed as a loose head ALSO. One of those in whom I have no faith. You are ether one or the other unless you are Afoa. The further loss of Afoa's services - while 'understandable' up to a point - is a pain in the arse..........again. We are screwed and throw Clancy into the mix and there is only one outcome.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Ulster team

15 Jared Payne
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Stuart Olding
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Paddy Jackson
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    1 Tom Court
    2 Rory Best
    3 Richard Lutton
    4 Johann Muller
    5 Dan Tuohy
    6 Robbie Diack
    7 Chris Henry
    8 Nick Williams

Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, K McCall, L Stevenson, I Henderson, R Wilson, P Marshall, P Nelson.

A jaysus, seeing a team like that for the first time in a long time moistens my loins.

The incredible hulk will hopefully be back to his best at #8. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'll take that bet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Real shame we have no O'Brien. Also a bit surprised that Dom Ryan was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Crocked wrote: »

There you go awec, much better than me giving directions! :D

This has the potential to be a cracker. Two very good sides. Really looking forward to it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

.ak wrote: »
    Real shame we have no O'Brien. Also a bit surprised that Dom Ryan was dropped.

I'd look at it more as rotated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Looking forward to the midfield battle, Macken starting in a fullish strength backline and up against Cave. Olding facing D'arcy will be interesting too, he must surely be in line to face Saracens next week. Fear Lutton will be destroyed by Healy and will be a deciding factor which would be a shame. Ulster's 4th choice TH against the best LH in the world. Hopefully It'll be a dry evening with few scrums.

Anyone know why Afoa's out btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

shuffol wrote: »
    Looking forward to the midfield battle, Macken starting in a fullish strength backline and up against Cave. Olding facing D'arcy will be interesting too, he must surely be in line to face Saracens next week. Fear Lutton will be destroyed by Healy and will be a deciding factor which would be a shame. Ulster's 4th choice TH against the best LH in the world. Hopefully It'll be a dry evening with few scrums.

He is in New Zealand for the birth of his third child, he is supposed to be back on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is SOB injured?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

he is in NZ for the birth of his third child

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

His wife (living in NZ) is giving birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Should be a cracking game.

2 strong teams going up against it...probably will be a bit of needle in some cases too - always the way!!

Think the best ulster can hope for is a LBP. Can't wait to see fat nick on one of his charges with 6 leinster players hanging of him as he bounces another 4 out of way along with his trademark head wobble!!:D

I'd take a LBP right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »

Really?

I think Leinster are favourites but despite what I said earlier I think we can definitely win. To win in Dublin for the first time in...well as long as I can remember of the top of my head...would be a massive boost ahead of Saracens.

Ah that's also true.

Come on Ulster! :pac:

bilston wrote: »
    Really?

I think Leinster are favourites but despite what I said earlier I think we can definitely win. To win in Dublin for the first time in...well as long as I can remember of the top of my head...would be a massive boost ahead of Saracens.

Yeah I think this game could go either way. A lot depends on the form of the returning internationals and how well they shake off the 6 Nations disappointment. Both sides have a little extra to play for. Leinster to avenge the defeat in Ravenhill, Ulster to reverse their current league form. I think Ulster will have a slight edge in that they don't have as many coming back from the Irish squad, but that's tempered by the pressure that is on Jackson at the moment. I'd imagine Peinaar will be goal kicker though.

We should have the edge at scrum time on Healys side and a few penalties from that could help give Leinster some momentum. Roux will need to have a big game. The back line battles could be interesting. Ulster centres are more exciting, but how will Olding do against a physical pairing of Darce and Macken? Isa should have the edge on Trimble but I'll be interested to see how Gilroy and D Kearney compare.

I missed the Ulster game last week, how was Payne? I reckon he is sheer class. Makes everything he does look so easy, which is a measure of how good he really is. If he's on form he'll be a bloody handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I've been looking forward to this game since our trip to Ravers in December, which was my first trip up north with Leinster and by a very long margin the best away game for banter on the terrace.

Looking forward to having ye down.

For once Mollyjh and I agree on something on the terrace... Cans are the ONLY way to go. €5.20 for guinness or €5.80 for Bulmers/Carlsberg is a pi$$tak€ of the highest order. Hell, I'll even share my hipflask with you in exchange for one Jenno! :D (It'll be Haitian rum or Danish vodka depending on mood)

LUPE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Please see above for my educated opinion on the Ulster starting XV for this Saturday's clash. Expect Leinster to secure a BP by half team.

Regards

Cheers LUPE, please come back post match to discuss the accuracy of your prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Leinster by 6, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Ha, Nick Williams "minnow"

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Cheers LUPE, please come back post match to discuss the accuracy of your prediction.

I look forward to it ;)

trouttrout wrote: »
    Ha, Nick Williams "minnow"

Small fry :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

An otherwise strong Ulster team is looking at a trip to Dublin with a player with a 27 year old 22 minutes of professional rugby under his belt playing in the most important position on the field. Lutton has also played in New Zealand's Heartland cup (level below ITM cup) but this match will be on another level.

If Lutton fails to impress the other option is to shift Tom Court over from Tight Head since there are two looseheads on the bench.

Lutton could be the weak link in this Ulster side. On the other hand this is Lutton's big opportunity to prove himself at home playing professional rugby and a strong performance could catapult himself onto the Ireland or Ireland A summer tour.

It will be good to see two strong sides face off in this fixture, normally at least one side fields the reserves which is a shame.

You'd wonder if Leinster and Munster will field / be allowed to field full sides in two weeks' time!

Eponymous wrote: »
    For once Mollyjh and I agree on something on the terrace... Cans are the ONLY way to go. €5.20 for guinness or €5.80 for Bulmers/Carlsberg is a pi$$tak€ of the highest order. Hell, I'll even share my hipflask with you in exchange for one Jenno! :D (It'll be Haitian rum or Danish vodka depending on mood)

Make it the Danish vodka and you're on! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

awec wrote: »

Jaysus don't know about that, on paper that Ulster team should be well capable of putting it up to Leinster.

Roux and Toner is worrying for me, as is Boss' form, while it's another big test for Madigan.

Think Leinster will win, but it'll be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

LUPE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Please see above for my educated opinion on the Ulster starting XV for this Saturday's clash. Expect Leinster to secure a BP by half team.

Regards

I have to be honest: I pretty much stopped reading when I read Jared Payne - Alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Gonna be a cracking game. Dont buy this "Ulsters to lose" talk either. Thats a decent Leinster team and they wont be beaten easily. Could have the edge in the scrum too with a front row of Healy, Strauss, Ross vs Court, Best, Lutton.

Plus Ulster dont have Ian Madigan and Leinster do. Glasgow ran into that problem last week and it cost them the game. :D

Advertisement