Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Ulster, Sat 30th March, 18.15 RDS RTE/BBCNI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

awec wrote: »
    The secret is to take in so much beer that you don't feel the cold.

I can confirm that it works! :pac:

I would need a small mortgage to afford the beer prices. Those leinster men must be loaded

There's only so many pockets I can fill with tins too haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Which is why a lot of people bring cans and hip flasks with them.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Loved the flags on the North stand. The black pirate flag should be a permanent fixture. Nice to get a few fans who aren't afraid to have some fun. Guys going nuts but well able to shut up for Maddog without having to be told.

Available for hire; half a dozen ulster fans experianced in singing, song writing and exterior decorating lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Available for hire; half a dozen ulster fans experianced in singing, song writing and exterior decorating lol.

I would genuinely cobble together a few quid. Best games every season at this point. Ulster fans, hands down the most entertaining in the RDS and my favourite visit. Lansdowne was great fun last season against Edinburgh. The Ulster gang are always welcome in Dublin.

Some Craic in the south stand alright. Few harps on board I'd imagine!

The "gimme an r, gimme an r, gimme an r" chant probably one of the highlights of the game tbh!

Re: the game
    Close match. Ulster's ambition great to see. Trimble was a machine. Muller/Tuohy and McLaughlin were involved in some monster collisions. Clancy loves a headline. Isa playing 13 means how many positions has he played for Leinster? (Packed down at 7 once after a YC) Frustrating finish. Payne the "best" player on the pitch to get binned for Ulster as a forward would have been far harder to cover up (scrum).

• Advertisement

The "gimme an r, gimme an r, gimme an r" chant probably one of the highlights of the game tbh!

Close match. Ulster's ambition great to see. Trimble was a machine. Muller/Tuohy and McLaughlin were involved in some monster collisions. Clancy loves a headline. Isa playing 13 means how many positions has he played for Leinster? (Packed down at 7 once after a YC) Frustrating finish. Payne the "best" player on the pitch to get binned for Ulster as a forward would have been far harder to cover up (scrum).

Yes. The ulster song/ chant book is rather quite big. We tried to do one for brian odriscoll but no one was sure of the exact spelling after one too many, so it didn't go as planned haha.

Payne is a very good player and needs to get niq as soon as possible. Kearney has lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Yes. The ulster song/ chant book is rather quite big. We tried to do one for brian odriscoll but no one was sure of the exact spelling after one too many, so it didn't go as planned haha.

Payne is a very good player and needs to get niq as soon as possible. Kearney has lost the plot.

I wouldn't say that he's lost the plot but he's nowhere near the player he used to be. Personally I'd have Nacewa at fullback. Kearney needs to vary his attacking from fullback, he rarely passes the ball, just seems to run into contact these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

He is struggling to regain a very high level of form after his back injury, he hasn't suddenly become a bad player.

Nacewa's form is fairly questionable this year aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He is struggling to regain a very high level of form after his back injury, he hasn't suddenly become a bad player.

Nacewa's form is fairly questionable this year aswell

I think with regards to Kearney, any drop in form from 2009 and 2012 is noticeable due to the standards he set. I remember his form being a bit off in 2010 also. When he's on form, he is amazing, but when's he off, he can look quite average attack wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I wonder is Isa's subconscious mind already back in N.Z. now he has made the decision. I also wonder if it is down to a large degree to the IRFU rules on NIE players. Still, he will get his tax break which will be helpful to him. Wonderful player.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Must have been sitting near me, the big lad in the fairy outfit was getting the crowd going :D

Leinster did well to handle big nick, I don't remember any surging runs of his usual standard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Must have been sitting near me, the big lad in the fairy outfit was getting the crowd going :D

Leinster did well to handle big nick, I don't remember any surging runs of his usual standard.

Eh... The one that led to the first try!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Eh... The one that led to the first try!
    Oh yea... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Will Nick Williams be eligible for Ireland any time soon? He has played for the Junior All Backs but not sure if that means he is tied to NZ?

If he is eligible should be be given a go?

Personally i'd have him in straight away tbh. Yes his conditioning could be improved but he is so powerful with ball in hand and always takes 2-3 defenders to stop him. Plus he has a good work-rate for such a big-man.

With Heaslip going off the boil over the last 6 months i think we need an alternative for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

hsbc wrote: »
    Will Nick Williams be eligible for Ireland any time soon? He has played for the Junior All Backs but not sure if that means he is tied to NZ?

Personally i'd have him in straight away tbh. Yes his conditioning could be improved but he is so powerful with ball in hand and always takes 2-3 defenders to stop him. Plus he has a good work-rate for such a big-man.

With Heaslip going off the boil over the last 6 months i think we need an alternative for Ireland.

I'm pretty sure he's tied to NZ now. But even if he wasn't, he's 29 and wouldn't be the future. With all the top quality flankers we have coming through I think one of them needs to be nurtured into a no. 8. Heaslip has disappointed recently (although half the posters on these boards seem to be split between saying he is awful and needs to be kicked out immeadiately or saying his ground work is the best in the world and there should no criticism directed at him whatsoever...and a load of sh!te about headphones) but I'm sure he's still got a few years of form left in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

hsbc wrote: »

so much wrong with the post I don't know where to begin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jacothelad wrote: »
    I wonder is Isa's subconscious mind already back in N.Z. now he has made the decision. I also wonder if it is down to a large degree to the IRFU rules on NIE players. Still, he will get his tax break which will be helpful to him. Wonderful player.
    Personal reasons are causing him to leave midway through a contract and move back to New Zealand.

If the tax break wasn't there I don't think he would be retiring. Instead he would be moving back to NZ and playing Super Rugby/ITM cup for a few years.

What happens if he retires and then "unretires" ?

What happens if he retires and then "unretires" ?
    He is sued by revenue to recover the monies (I presume).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I thought both Kearney and Heaslip did pretty well on Sat. I thought that along with Madigan Kearney was the only Leinster back who threatened in attack.

Williams is tied to NZ and Payne won't be eligible until Nov '14 so there's no point worrying about him yet. Who is to say he won't decide to go back to NZ to fight for a place in their squad. I hope he doesn't but I haven't heard him say that he wants to play for Ireland. Then again maybe its not the done thing for him to do that yet.

• Advertisement

Payne signed as a project player no? Why would he do that if he has no intention of playing for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    I thought both Kearney and Heaslip did pretty well on Sat. I thought that along with Madigan Kearney was the only Leinster back who threatened in attack.

Williams is tied to NZ and Payne won't be eligible until Nov '14 so there's no point worrying about him yet. Who is to say he won't decide to go back to NZ to fight for a place in their squad. I hope he doesn't but I haven't heard him say that he wants to play for Ireland. Then again maybe its not the done thing for him to do that yet.

Yeah Kearney was our stand out back imo, although Isa did well to plug the gap at 13. If Kearney hadn't ran into contact that time, or passed in the last minute, we'd be singing his praises. But he did well.

Thinking back on the game, it still smarts how many chances Leinster had at winning the game despite being the poorer side and absolutely butchering them. Most times I'd be happy to agree that it was rustiness/bad luck/they'll fix it etc., etc. but this is the business end of the system and I hope they have the book thrown at them and that Joe has a wildcard up his sleeve for the Wasps and Munster games, as they are now the season defining games.

In Joe we trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What then happens if he unretires to help Leinster in an injury crisis this time next year, and retires again at the end of next season?

Yup, about 4 rows down from him. Drinking smuggled hot chocolate and whiskey combinations to stay warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Payne signed as a project player no? Why would he do that if he has no intention of playing for Ireland?

But is a project player an NIQ who officially states he wants to play for Ireland after 3 years or is it just someone who isnt tied to their country of birth or any other country and after three years will qualify for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »

Thought Kearney was indecisive. He got on the ball and tried to make things happen but looked very unsure.

Heaslip was brilliant. All action, great showing. I've seen some people criticise his showing but I really don't know how. He was the best back row on the field by a distance for me. Got over the gain line repeatedly driving through contact, great base control and his clearing out is manic. He made more meters with the ball in hand than any Leinster player including the backs and the most tackles on the field aside from Muller.

I thought the Leinster back line actually suffered from Madigan's distribution. Sometimes, simple flat passing is the most effective. He was taking too much out of the ball, crabbing to look for the step and break he is so good at. Macken only touched the ball twice in the 37 minutes he was on the field, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I wouldn't think it would be in Isa's thoughts.

But assuming he has cleared all his accounts and investments in Ireland then they wouldn't stand to get much from him when working in NZ. Obviously he wouldn't be able to return for a visit etc.

Anyone know more about this?

tolosenc wrote: »
    What then happens if he unretires to help Leinster in an injury crisis this time next year, and retires again at the end of next season?
    I would presume that he would have to hand the money back to revenue and claim it again after retirement

because its a guaranteed 3 year contract on more money in a single year than was available with the two year contract that was offered to him in NZ.

Unless there is personal issues (a la Isa and Afoa) I can't see him moving back to NZ and if he is here I can't see him turning down international recognition after all appearance fees and/or central contracts would be a not inconsiderable bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ahref42

A lot of talk here about an Ulster try that shouldn't have been allowed and a penalty to Ulster that was awarded when wide. Both can be seen here on the RTE player and both scores were correctly awarded. They can both be reviewed in slow motion! Admittedly the end was bizarre, but again it confirmed that the original decision was correct. http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10126986/

Advertisement