Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes/Passages to live by (goosebumping inducing is preferable)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future. He makes his own." - Solid Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

A long-ish one, but it always gets me going again when I feel like giving up.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

"Bugger this for a game of soldiers"

Cpl. Nobby Nobbs, Ankh-Morpork City Wacth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

"Make like a dog , if you can't eat it or fuck it , piss on it and walk away"

anon. Boards poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Was in not billy connolly?

If he said it then one of them is using the others material. :(

One of the first pages to come up for Jack Handey. Had the book with the shoes quote in it but gave it to a hospitalised friend so I can't double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

'Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one'.

Bill Gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I believe in pink.
    I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner.
    I believe in kissing, kissing a lot.
    I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong.
    I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls.
    I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.

Audrey Hepburn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing'.

Edmund Burke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

'I'm the last man on earth, am I a beggar or a king?'

-Alice cooper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

My dear,

We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don’t have books, don’t **** them. Don’t let them explore you until they’ve explored the secret universes of books. Don’t let them connect with you until they’ve walked between the lines on the pages.

Books are cool, if you have to withhold yourself from someone for a bit in order for them to realize this then do so.

Truly yours,
    John Samuel Waters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

"A Pint of Sweat saves a Gallon of Blood" - George S. Patton

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith, than fight against knowledge." - Adolf Hitler

"Who wants a kick in the face?" - Facekicker

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

If men bled - would tampons be free ?
    Steve Tyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

"O where are you going?" said reader to rider,
    "That valley is fatal where furnaces burn,
    Yonder's the midden whose odours will madden,
    That gap is the grave where the tall return."

"O do you imagine," said fearer to farer,
    "That dusk will delay on your path to the pass,
    Your diligent looking discover the lacking,
    Your footsteps feel from granite to grass?"

"O what was that bird," said horror to hearer,
    "Did you see that shape in the twisted trees?
    Behind you swiftly the figure comes softly,
    The spot on your skin is a shocking disease."

"Out of this house"---said rider to reader,
    "Yours never will"---said farer to fearer
    "They're looking for you"---said hearer to horror,
    As he left them there, as he left them there.

W.H Auden.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why"- Mark Twain

"Expect bullsh1t, but never accept it"- Anon

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"- T.E. Lawrence

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire"- Ferdinand Foch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

"Dope, no hope
    Coke, you gonna be a big joke
    Pills, get ill
    because drugs ain't the answer"

- Gerry Rayn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

****, happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

A couple from John Green

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”

“That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt.”

“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”

“Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself.”

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Don't do what Donny Don't does!"

- The 10 Dos and 500 Don'ts of Knife Safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

Jesus I'm surprised that wasn't stolen for a bank advert during the Celtic Tiger! Generally dislike poetry, but I like 'The Guy in the Glass' by Dale Wimbrow:

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
    And the world makes you king for a day
    Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
    And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
    Whose judgment upon you must pass
    The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
    For he’s with you, clear to the end
    And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
    If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
    And get pats on the back as you pass
    But your final reward will be heartache and tears
    If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If anyone posts that Marilyn Monroe quote I'll go clean mental and probably be banned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"Be careful how you set your ambitions, for you are oft likely to succeed."

"There's no point worrying about anything. The thing you're worrying about is either something you can do something about, or can't do anything about. If you can't do anything about it, there's no point worrying about it. If you can do something about it, then do it, and stop worrying."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Corvo

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away

Hitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Came across this speech (supposedly) by the comedian George Carlin, a speech given after his wife's death. He had cared for her for the last two years of her life

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up to tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions,but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been alltheway to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things,but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, bigmen and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers,throw away morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight,or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will growupand leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace willmend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

token101 wrote: »
    Jesus I'm surprised that wasn't stolen for a bank advert during the Celtic Tiger! Generally dislike poetry, but I like 'The Guy in the Glass' by Dale Wimbrow:

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
    And the world makes you king for a day
    Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
    And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
    Whose judgment upon you must pass
    The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
    For he’s with you, clear to the end
    And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
    If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
    And get pats on the back as you pass
    But your final reward will be heartache and tears
    If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

Nigel Adkins (then manager of Southampton F.C. apparently quoted that during a press conference/interview last year. which is kind of awesome.

I'm a fan of Polonius/Shakespear's
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Of course, being Shakespear, he put those words of wisdom in the mouth of someone who went and did the exact opposite.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

T. E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
    (1888 - 1935)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today".

--Lawrence Krauss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

geeky wrote: »

I'm a fan of Polonius/Shakespear's
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Of course, being Shakespear, he put those words of wisdom in the mouth of someone who went and did the exact opposite.

Give thy thoughts no tongue,
    Nor any unproportion'd thought his act.
    Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar;
    The friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
    Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
    But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
    Of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade. Beware
    Of entrance to a quarrel, but, being in,
    Bear 't that th' opposed may beware of thee.
    Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice;
    Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.
    Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
    But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
    For the apparel oft proclaims the man.
    Neither a borrower, nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

"Always wear clean underwear in case you get hit by a bus"

Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev or Me Ma

Advertisement