Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes/Passages to live by (goosebumping inducing is preferable)

Options
  • 28-03-2013 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Recently found this quote, so sad but life affirming

A quote from Ann Druyan, best known as the wife of the late astronomer Carl Sagan:

“When my husband died, because he was so famous & known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me — it still sometimes happens — & ask me if Carl changed at the end & converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again.

Carl faced his death with unflagging courage & never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief & precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting.

Every single moment that we were alive & we were together was miraculous — not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural. We knew we were beneficiaries of chance… That pure chance could be so generous & so kind… That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space & the immensity of time… That we could be together for twenty years. That is something which sustains me & it’s much more meaningful…

The way he treated me & the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other & our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.“

Comments

I see dead people <shivers>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you

Christopher Hitchens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Rely on your own strength of body and soul. Take for your star self-reliance, faith, honesty and industry. Don't take too much advice — keep at the helm and steer your own ship, and remember that the great art of commanding is to take a fair share of the work. Fire above the mark you intend to hit. Energy, invincible determination with the right motive, are the levers that move the world.

- Noah Porter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a rambler I'm a gambler I'm a long way from home,
    And if you don't like me well leave me alone
    I'll eat when I'm hungry and I'll drink when I'm dry
    And if the moonshine don't kill me I'll live til I die.

Traditional

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill- Blade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

"Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'" - Karl Pilkington

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
    W. H Auden

"Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
    Sam Beckett

“The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything, except what is worth knowing.”
    Oscar Wilde

Three startlingly creative human minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

Well that's easy to say if someone is paying for you. Some of us would end up on the street if we did that, Oscar! :mad:

• Advertisement

OneArt wrote: »
    Well that's easy to say if someone is paying for you. Some of us would end up on the street if we did that, Oscar! :mad:

He talked an awful lot of **** but he had a good way of saying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

He who rides a tiger cannot dismount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Son, you put your shoes on in the morning, and you never know who might take them off you in the evening.

What's meant for you, won't go past you.

SamHall's mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

I call on you not to hate, because hate does not leave space for a person to be fair and it makes you blind and closes all doors of thinking -Saddam Hussein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

trust no-one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Wilde died destitute in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My Sig...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

**** them if they can't take a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It somehow works for me, I'm so imaginative, I imagine I'm not broke.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Remember guys The future is something you build by yourself you have to make it happen and believe in yourself and you can be awesome =:)

Just so everyone knows no matter what you are all feeling it will always be alright no matter what

Just so everyone knows you are never to old to do anything ...just do watcha wanna do don't over think things.

Jedward

:D

• Advertisement

Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. ~Cyril Connolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. ~From a headstone in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

“Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack. Let’s get that straight. OK? We don’t do crack. We don’t do that. Crack is whack.”
    Whitney Houston (2002)
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes

Using Jack Handey quotes in a quote war is in breach of the Second Hague Conference, post reported. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

kowloon wrote: »
    “Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack. Let’s get that straight. OK? We don’t do crack. We don’t do that. Crack is whack.”
    Whitney Houston (2002)

Using Jack Handey quotes in a quote war is in breach of the Second Hague Conference, post reported. :pac:

Was in not billy connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭buckfast69

In the warriors code there is no surrender, though his body says stop his spirit cries never.

Taken from the song burning heart from the rocky 4 soundtrack. I live my life by those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

We cannot choose what we are, yet what are we but the sum of our choices?

Grant Naylor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Liv by da gun dye by da gun

2pac Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"The problem with quoting things from the internet is that you can never be too sure of their authenticity"

Abraham Lincoln

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

"Money doesn't buy happiness. But happiness isn't everything."
    Jean Seberg (1938-1979)

Advertisement