Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living at home contribution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I used to give €250 a month, bought my own food, easier too as I used to be kinda fussy!!

It was great, my clothes were always clean and ironed! Only downside was the no sharing bed policy with my then boyf!

Sometimes I miss living at home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

MadsL wrote: »
    Why? Rent/Mortgage is typically a third of income. Good life lesson.

It really depends what the income is. Rent in a shared house is unlikely to be a third of income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I lived at home until I was 23. I paid £100 (took me a bit to find the pound sign) a month when I was working full-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Madam_X wrote: »
    I lived at home until I was 23. I paid £100 (took me a bit to find the pound sign) a month when I was working full-time.

Pounds? Was it shillings and pence as well, or am I going back too far?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Two half crown and a thrupenny bit. And less of your lip, youngling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

When I was living at home and working full time I'd be handing up €50 a week sometimes, never anything more.
    I never realised how lucky I had it to be honest, if I had to move back I'd definitely be handing up minimum €100 a week and buying everything myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Madam_X wrote: »
    Two half crown and a thrupenny bit. And less of your lip, youngling!
    A quarter back of ham, two sheaves of rye and we'll call it square.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

GarIT wrote: »
    I've never given anything and I couldn't imagine ever even considering charging my kids anything.

The first place children should learn about financial responsibility and independence is from their parents, otherwise they will be completely unprepared when they eventually flee the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The first place children should learn about financial responsibility and independence is from their parents, otherwise they will be completely unprepared when they eventually flee the nest.

There's a difference between getting to pay for things themselves, and taking money from them. IMO asking kids (under 21) for money is wrong. I wouldn't expect any of my kids to work until they have a masters at a minimum, everyone needs a good start in life in the current working world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst I was living at home, it was £50/week. If I go home now for the weekend, or a few days during the week, I will contribute to or pay for all of any shopping bought.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between getting to pay for things themselves, and taking money from them. IMO asking kids (under 21) for money is wrong. I wouldn't expect any of my kids to work until they have a masters at a minimum, everyone needs a good start in life in the current working world.

I dont have a masters, can I tell my Landlord or my bank I'm not paying. I paid digs at home the moment I was working full-time, as did alot of people I knew, even at the age of 18/19.

irish-stew wrote: »
    I dont have a masters, can I tell my Landlord or my bank I'm not paying. I paid digs at home the moment I was working full-time, as did alot of people I knew, even at the age of 18/19.

Obviously you can't, but I'd like to give my kids the best chance they can get. I'd be pissed if they didn't do the same for their kids. You can't pass a 60 hour per week degree program when you were working. If they aren't going to college, once they're 18 they can GTFO but I'd support them as long as needed through college.

It's not taking money from them, it's making them contribute financially to the costs of running the household they live in. They will have to learn how much things cost in the real world - electricity is not free, rent is not free, food is not free.

Getting a Masters is a wonderful thing (if that is what they want to do, of course), but a practical education is just as, if not more, important. Imagine finally living in your own place and not knowing how to budget properly, or how to do a weekly shop, or save for bills in the winter. These lessons set them up for the future and are vital for when they find themselves standing on their own two feet as adults.

It's not taking money from them, it's making them contribute financially to the costs of running the household they live in. They will have to learn how much things cost in the real world - electricity is not free, rent is not free, food is not free.

Getting a Masters is a wonderful thing (if that is what they want to do, of course), but a practical education is just as, if not more, important. Imagine finally living in your own place and not knowing how to budget properly, or how to do a weekly shop, or save for bills in the winter. These lessons set them up for the future and are vital for when they find themselves standing on their own two feet as adults.

None of my kids will be working and living in my house at the same time, they won't have the money to give. I would have to say education is more important. Most of what you said is covered in school, and you can always talk to them and let them know how things are. Getting through college would probably teach them most of the same things anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

MadsL wrote: »
    Why? Rent/Mortgage is typically a third of income. Good life lesson.

Are your parents that hard up or greedy, or simply want to get rid of you?:confused:

In my situation, I was able to buy a car & run it without parental handouts.

Also, I was able to save enough to buy a 4 bed house on my own, again without handouts.

What lesson was I sposed to learn?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I Live in a Home, does that count ?

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

If my kids are working they will like i did give up a certain amount each week

I'm not saying what anyone else is wrong, I'm just saying I don't think it will give them a good start in life and it's not what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

I'm 20, I live at home and have been working full time for the past 2 years. I earn 1600 per month and hand up 400 on payday. My mam cooks for me when I am home (I work very long hours) but I buy most of my food myself.

I would love to move out, as we live in a 3 bed and I share a room with an 8 year old and a 1 year old :-/
    However... family finances dictate that my mam can use the money more than some landlord.

My contract is up on June 30th so I imagine whatever I get on the dole while i'm trying to find another job, i'll hand up a quarter or a third of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Obviously you can't, but I'd like to give my kids the best chance they can get. I'd be pissed if they didn't do the same for their kids. You can't pass a 60 hour per week degree program when you were working. If they aren't going to college, once they're 18 they can GTFO but I'd support them as long as needed through college.

Hate to be your kid, you have very high hopes i hope they fulfil your expectations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I hand up 400 euro a month and buy bits and pieces for the household. I also do some of the cooking and cleaning and all my own laundry etc. Find it odd people let their mammies wash their undies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

When my little fella gets older I will be charging him, I won't tell him but it will go into an account for him for when he is buying a house (if he does)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I hand up 400 euro a month and buy bits and pieces for the household. I also do some of the cooking and cleaning and all my own laundry etc. Find it odd people let their mammies wash their undies!
    1. Sell ur undies on Ebay
    2. read thread on Ebay from AH earlier
    3. Bill weirdos
    4.??????
    5. Hide in your house
    6. Profit
    7.No one ever does 6 points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

When I lived under my parents roof before they died I bought groceries, cleaned and also helped out every couple of weeks with paying for my sisters' school lunches and if they were going on a school trip I'd contribute towards that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

€35 of €188, if I'm working I'll hand up more depending on what I earn.

I'm not saying what anyone else is wrong, I'm just saying I don't think it will give them a good start in life and it's not what I would do.

It would give them a very good grounding for life. Cosset them too much and you risk having some very educated, but very financially unprepared young adults.

Every parent wants the best for the children, of course, but it's so important to prepare them for life away from the nest. I think it's one of the most important things a parent needs to teach their children growing up.

I understand that. I worked part time my first two years of college, the third year my mum helped me financially as I focused on my study, lived away from home for most it. But worked and lived at home for a few years before that, and it was understood, that if you are not studying, you work and pay your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I am 24 and still live at home, just me and dad at home now. I don't contribute anything. I cook every day, and do his washing and clean the house. I buy the groceries sometimes. It just depends on everybody's circumstances. Yes if I still had my mum and she was doing the cooking and cleaning, and doing all my washing and ironing I definitely would give something. But I do all that myself.

To be fair, you contribute quite a lot, time and care often mean more them tossing a couple of quid at the folks.
    I know people who lived at home as adults that sat like lumps, expecting to be waited on hand an foot by their parents and contributed nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

When I was living at home it was a standard €50 p/w, but in reality a fair bit more, from chipping in for groceries and giving a 'lend' here and there to younger siblings. I say lend, but it wasn't coming back, and at €20 a time, it built up. Also, being the only male sibling, I was forever doing DIY, the heavy lifting, gardening etc, but of course I'm happy to have done it.

That said, unfortunately, the younger sister's never got this - rent free, sleeping-in far too late, not exactly knowing the real value of money. To be honest - they're quite spoiled for it. Can't wait til they hit the big bad world, and see how they fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Brother lives at home and pays 100 a week. But he gets all his cooking and washing done for him. That also covers all the household bills.

Advertisement