Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living at home contribution

Options
  • 28-03-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Anyone in their 20's living at home with their parents and working full time.
    Do you contribute & how much ?

Comments

I live at home. Funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think the OP means living at home with your parents

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

However much you contribute make sure you get a VAT receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Me too AND I have to pay for everything. It's not fair :(!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

I always handed up a third of what I earned, and my kids do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

When I lived at home and worked full-time I gave €70 a week.

Lost my job and still gave €70 a week out of my dole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lived at home til I was 22, working from 15, gave up 30% each week, great life lesson from the mother tbh

I have to show my little madam this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I think the OP means living at home with your parents

How many people on here live with whoopsies parents?

And how much do you contribute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Roughly about a third of your income, Although each home/situation can be some what different.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »

Man I laughed waaay too hard at this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lived with my folks til I was 26 (yeah I know....)

Anyway, I paid them fifty quid sterling a week then, which was I suppose 20% of what I earned back then.

Looking back, they always gave me my privacy with the wimmins..... clothes washed, dinners made, always food in the cupboards/freezers, no heating/electric bills/phone bills......

To be fair to them, I think I did alright.

Still kinda miss home now if I'm to be honest, no place like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

When I lived at home I paid €70 a week (more rent than any "outsider" would pay for the standard of accommodation) and my share of the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Move out and spend it on rent with oddballs and charcters like I did.

Then your parents can have a life again. Best present ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I lived at home until I was 26 and I paid €70 a week, some weeks I would pay €100 if I had an extra bit in my wages. When I ended up on social welfare, I used to give €50 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Since I lost my job making cheese sandwiches I've rigged up sausages on a pulley system so I can eat while I animate without getting off the chair. I offered my Dad a sausage but he didn't want it, he thinks I'm crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

It depends on my wages i get that month. Im trying to save for my masters too. So at the moment, i pay the phone/internet bill, chip in buying groceries, on top of doing some of the housework too. My parents appreciate it even though its not a set contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

TheUsual wrote: »
    Move out and spend it on rent with oddballs and charcters like I did.

Then your parents can have a life again. Best present ever.

Or they could struggle to pay their bills.

That's the trouble with moralising about other people's situations - often you just don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Don't give anything; they are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I just give 20 every week, if my mother needs money for something else i give it to her too. I buy most of my own food too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I am 24 and still live at home, just me and dad at home now. I don't contribute anything. I cook every day, and do his washing and clean the house. I buy the groceries sometimes. It just depends on everybody's circumstances. Yes if I still had my mum and she was doing the cooking and cleaning, and doing all my washing and ironing I definitely would give something. But I do all that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

About time you got on the property ladder, leave it too late and you'll never get a house, go get one of those 100% mortgages ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I live at home and contribute to the Sky Planner schedule and the general entertainment in the house.

But seriously, I've offered to pay my way but the parents wouldn't have any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

fupduck wrote: »
    I always handed up a third of what I earned, and my kids do the same

One Third?. That's nuts.

I was paying 50 Euro a week plus doing a few odd jobs around the place aswell.

That was over 10 years ago BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Or they could struggle to pay their bills.
    That's the trouble with moralising about other people's situations - often you just don't have a clue.

This is After Hours, not Joe Duffy.

Well actually, it is Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've never given anything and I couldn't imagine ever even considering charging my kids anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My family home was a big, old, impossible to heat kind of house, it's way cheaper not living there. Not to mention all the associated benefits of not living with parent(s)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

stimpson wrote: »

Me but don't tell them yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

i give €80 a week, but after receiving a letter from the revenue yesterday stating that i am the property owner ill be taking rent in future ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

One Third?. That's nuts.

I was paying 50 Euro a week plus doing a few odd jobs around the place aswell.

That was over 10 years ago BTW.

Why? Rent/Mortgage is typically a third of income. Good life lesson.

Advertisement