Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are You Having A Laugh? Comedy and Christianity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm sure that's what he meant as well. Meh, either way. You can ignore whatever incarnation of dead one shows up to get pissy.

I have yet to experience the pleasure of a pissy dead one. I have asked a simple enough question I believe. Might be meh, might be less meh than that. I'm open to surprises :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well worth searching for the thread where he discovered bluewolf was a woman, and he admonished her for swearing, and it all went downhill from there.

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The program was equally depressing and frustrating at times. I didn't realise that the Goodness Gracious Me episode is essentially banned by the Broadcast authority in England.

I've actually seen the segment of the episode that caused the outrage and while I can see why some Christians would be upset by it, I don't think it warranted such an extreme reaction. Widdecome had to get special persmission just to view it herself.

There were complaints that comics lean toward joking about Christianity while at the same time bemoaning the decline of knowledge/membership of Christianity. They also grumbled about comics presuming that the audience are generally atheists. Why is it presumed that Christians can't also laugh at some of the jokes about their religion?

They also touched on "people being squeezed to conform" with regards to not being seen to be religious. Surely this is a trait of society generally. I mean it was the same when religion was the ruling power. They would be better off suggesting that maybe people not conform out of peer pressure but rather choose their own way, regardless if it's religion/atheism.

Widdecome got off easy on the subject of "don't mock what's sacred to me (or any other person/group)". Why didn't any of the comics try to delve into where do we draw the line? Some people would probably regard their political party/government they support with equal passion as a religion. Should political jokes be silenced also?

Overall it seemed that the Widdecome just fails to understand that comedy is very subjective. She doesn't like a certain joke, but others do. Why can't see be an adult and just ignore it?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Well worth searching for the thread where he discovered bluewolf was a woman, and he admonished her for swearing, and it all went downhill from there.

Oh that sounds like good clean fun. I reckon I'll get no answers at all, if they even do just a little research on my posts. Which would be a shame. And I'm not even being cynical. I am more of a blank-slate than most people, I think. Genuinely curious about the answer(s) actually.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71049269&postcount=137

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Scary.
    Not as scary as his many posts trying to convince us that beating your wife or daughter is the correct thing to do in certain circumstances.

MrP

Oh wow. I see he is banned though, but I'm sure there are many with those beliefs. Indeed, I know some catholic ones (sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

keane2097 wrote: »

Can I have my 8min 26 sec back please.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Raises the question why some Xtians believe their religion should be above any satire or parody? To me it's simply because someone taking an unproved and unprovable belief as fact is ripe material for taking the piss and happens in all walks of life.

Xtians? Really? It honestly sounds like your trying too hard to avoid typing the word Christ.. :pac:

The X as in Xmas (for example) is not a secular invention. It comes from the Greek word Χριστός which is their word for 'Christ'.

Christ was typically abbreviated as X
    ρ as far back as 1021 AD. By the 1600s it was just X. Now modern Christians try to blame us secularists for taking the 'Christ' out of Christmas by using X but that's just a silly accusation. We're just convenient targets for them.

It also bothers me when us Atheists believe it too... X is an ancient and valid Christian traditional symbol so using it does not make us better Atheists *end rant*:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Thunk Dara O'Brien summed up the whole "you wouldnt make that joke about muslims" argument fairly well.
    To paraphrase - Yeah I wouuldnt joke anout because
    A - I know f**k all about islam
    and
    B - All of ye know f**k all about islam, I could make a joke about the way a flaming unicorn appears in the koran and ye'd just be sitting there going "is that a thing in the koran?"

And one muslim going "wtf is he on about"

Xtians? Really? It honestly sounds like your trying too hard to avoid typing the word Christ.. :pac:

The X as in Xmas (for example) is not a secular invention. It comes from the Greek word Χριστός which is their word for 'Christ'.

Christ was typically abbreviated as X
    ρ as far back as 1021 AD. By the 1600s it was just X. Now modern Christians try to blame us secularists for taking the 'Christ' out of Christmas by using X but that's just a silly accusation. We're just convenient targets for them.

It also bothers me when us Atheists believe it too... X is an ancient and valid Christian traditional symbol so using it does not make us better Atheists *end rant*:p

We know. Your point?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ninja900 wrote: »
    We know. Your point?

I find it tends to be christians that get annoyed when x is used instead of christ, presumably because it represents yet a other thing a out their religion that they did not know or understand.

I expect anyone of atheist persuasion using that particular abbreviation, or Xmas, does so out of lazyness ad convienience.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MrPudding wrote: »
    I find it tends to be christians that get annoyed when x is used instead of christ, presumably because it represents yet a other thing a out their religion that they did not know or understand.

I expect anyone of atheist persuasion using that particular abbreviation, or Xmas, does so out of lazyness ad convienience.

MrP

And this where my pet peeve comes in. It's "Χ" (pronounced "Chi.") not 'x'.

\pedant.

MrPudding wrote: »

You expect wrong :)

Jernal wrote: »
    And this where my pet peeve comes in. It's "Χ" (pronounced "Chi.") not 'x'.

\pedant.

χ actually :D

χ actually :D
    :o
    [latex]\chi[/latex]:p

Meh that's just italicised :)

Just in case there's anyone else still reading this :pac: here's where "Xmas" etc. really come from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_rho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
    There is a common misconception that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jesus H X.

Meh that's just italicised :)

And curvy and more aesthetically beautiful.:pac:

• Advertisement

And curvy and more aesthetically beautiful.:pac:

Font fascist!

Font fascist!

Ahem, excuse me now, do you see Comic Sans being employed in any of my posts?

That would depend on whether I render in author mode or user mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

\pedant.

Erm ... shouldn't that be "/pedant" ? :)

/meta-pedant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Font fascist!
    Your tone suggests you think there's something wrong with being a font fascist.

swampgas wrote: »
    Erm ... shouldn't that be "/pedant" ? :)

/meta-pedant

\LaTeX, the one true typesetter, uses '\' more commonly than '/'. So, unless you are a font typeface heathen, you use \ when referring to items relating to font. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gordon wrote: »
    Jesus H X.

'Jesus Tittyf*cking X' just doesn't have the same ring to it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's exclusive to the lads in CERN, and absolutely every piece of school-related correspondence or advertising you get relating to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Not sure if I'm gaining or losing respect for Dades... Helvetica!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ARielHelvitca.jpg

Advertisement