Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are You Having A Laugh? Comedy and Christianity

Options
  • 28-03-2013 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Just watching this on BBC now, presented by Anne Widdecombe. I'm a little bit in awe of how obtuse a person can be in deliberately missing a joke. She's dissecting the humor of comedy clips and movies and saying it ain't funny to use the life and death of JC as comedic material, all spoken with the devout belief and reverence as if JCs divinity was a confirmed fact. As the quote goes, “Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

Her idea of what constitutes appropriate Xtian humor so far leaves a lot to be desired, depictions of people and animals defecating in very old sacred texts?

Raises the question why some Xtians believe their religion should be above any satire or parody? To me it's simply because someone taking an unproved and unprovable belief as fact is ripe material for taking the piss and happens in all walks of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In before the yeah, but would they dare mock something like Islam comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Jernal wrote: »

Was covered, most of the answers from the comedians were of course we wouldn't do the same with Islam, we haven't enough knowledge about it and aren't sure if the target audience do either for the joke to be understood. Hasn't stopped a few writers from coming up with comedies based around Muslim families, the only one mentioned was Citizen Khan which I'd never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Raises the question why some Xtians believe their religion should be above any satire or parody?

Insecurity. If they were confident in their beliefs they wouldn't get 'offended' by people taking the mick and try to silence said critiques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Was covered, most of the answers from the comedians were of course we wouldn't do the same with Islam, we haven't enough knowledge about it and aren't sure if the target audience do either for the joke to be understood. Hasn't stopped a few writers from coming up with comedies based around Muslim families, the only one mentioned was Citizen Khan which I'd never seen before.

There's a canadian one as well, I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Just watching this on BBC now, presented by Anne Widdecombe. I'm a little bit in awe of how obtuse a person can be in deliberately missing a joke. She's dissecting the humor of comedy clips and movies and saying it ain't funny to use the life and death of JC as comedic material [... ]
    Well, now I understand the "WTF Widdecombe??" facebook update from a friend of mine late last night.

The bold Anne can do many things, but dig ironic jokes isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

robindch wrote: »
    Well, now I understand the "WTF Widdecombe??" facebook update from a friend of mine late last night.

The bold Anne can do many things, but dig ironic jokes isn't one of them.

Yup, I had a few similar moments myself watching the show. I haven't watched or listened to Ann Widdecombe before but reading up on her on Wikipedia, there's an interesting quote from her on leaving the CoE and becoming a Catholic:

"I left the Church of England because there was a huge bundle of straw. The ordination of women was the last straw, but it was only one of many. For years I had been disillusioned by the Church of England's compromising on everything. The Catholic Church doesn't care if something is unpopular."

So things progress, old uncompromising ways generally tend to get left behind but instead of changing and accepting this, she decides to join a more 'hardcore' organisation? Reminds me of the Billy Connolly quip about the people who settled Scotland, having first settled in England, decided to move north because someone knew of a place that was colder and wetter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

"I left the Church of England because there was a huge bundle of straw. The ordination of women was the last straw, but it was only one of many. For years I had been disillusioned by the Church of England's compromising on everything. The Catholic Church doesn't care if something is unpopular."

If more 'catholics' were like her (i.e., left a church that they don't agree with) we'd be in a much better place. At least she has the courage of her convictions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Cork Boy wrote: »
    If more 'catholics' were like her (i.e., left a church that they don't agree with) we'd be in a much better place. At least she has the courage of her convictions.

I remember hearing about someone else who converted to catholicism and then started giving out that they don't ordain women
    Dafuq did you join it for, so?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Christianity can't really do humor. Same way they can't do rock'n'roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

Has anyone else noticed that there are a huge number of atheist comedians?

Joe_Christ wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that there are a huge number of atheist comedians?

Part n' parcel of being a comedian is assessing the world around you very very critically. Atheists tend to do this in relation to religion/God etc., so becoming a comedian is a natural progression for many atheists with a highly developed sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

I had sorta come to that conclusion. Comedians take a step back from the world and look at it from an outsiders perspective. I suppose one of the things an alien would laugh at first would be the idea of a god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Joe_Christ wrote: »
    I had sorta come to that conclusion. Comedians take a step back from the world and look at it from an outsiders perspective. I suppose one of the things an alien would laugh at first would be the idea of a god

Ironically challenged sentence....... "thinks aliens would laugh at the idea of a god"

Ha! I made a funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sarky wrote: »
    Christianity can't really do humor. Same way they can't do rock'n'roll.
    Actually, in the program Anne was at pains to show they can do humour.
    To prove it, she produced some Christian comedy. It was a badly drawn picture of a monk farting, from the margin of a psalter book which was a few hundred years old. When she pointed out that it was funny, I nearly died laughing, so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jernal wrote: »

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jimmy-carr-on-islam.jpg

Wow! But will it play in t'other forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched this last night.

Lost a bit of respect for Marcus Brigstocke for not pointing out that Anne Widdecombe wasn't actually wounded in any way, shape or form by the Goodness Gracious Me sketch, nor is it anything like making fun of a recent bereavement for someone. And also the fact that according to her religion, the communion wafer doesn't become the body of Christ until prayers have been said, in which case there was no sacrilege when the communion wafer was used.

I think maybe he didn't want to come across as unreasonable, but he just came across far too willing to change his view based off very poor points put forward by Anne.

Penn wrote: »
    Watched this last night.

Lost a bit of respect for Marcus Brigstocke for not pointing out that Anne Widdecombe wasn't actually wounded in any way, shape or form by the Goodness Gracious Me sketch, nor is it anything like making fun of a recent bereavement for someone. And also the fact that according to her religion, the communion wafer doesn't become the body of Christ until prayers have been said, in which case there was no sacrilege when the communion wafer was used.

I think maybe he didn't want to come across as unreasonable, but he just came across far too willing to change his view based off very poor points put forward by Anne.

Was hoping he'd tackle her on that too, the term "inexhaustible grief" (courtesy of Abe in Lincoln) seems apt here. That said, I can't understand the concept of grieving for someone you've never met or known and probably never will. Seems like a form of emotional catnip/eternal mental torture.

It struck me as completely bizarre that she honestly believes she's eating JC's flesh at communion time. There's a level of delusion involved there I can't and don't ever want to comprehend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Found it on youtube for anyone who wants a gander:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

Obliq wrote: »
    Wow! But will it play in t'other forum?

Considering anything critical of Islam is rendered taboo by the forum charter I would say no.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Considering anything critical of Islam is rendered taboo by the forum charter I would say no.

But that's why I asked (will it play in the other forum)? To me, that joke is non-critical. Read below:

"I've got a Muslim friend who is really religious. He knows the Quran backwards. Which is handy because that's how you read it."

I wonder what taboo that joke would break? Shall I ask? :) In an inoffensive as possible kind of way?!

But that's why I asked (will it play in the other forum)? To me, that joke is non-critical. Read below:

"I've got a Muslim friend who is really religious. He knows the Quran backwards. Which is handy because that's how you read it."

I wonder what taboo that joke would break? Shall I ask? :) In an inoffensive as possible kind of way?!

You'd have to leave out the bit where Jimmy said, "And that's because I'm not a f#cking idiot" because that was a sly dig at the type of Muslims who try to kill people over 'offensive' jokes.

Galvasean wrote: »
    You'd have to leave out the bit where Jimmy said, "And that's because I'm not a f#cking idiot" because that was a sly dig at the type of Muslims who try to kill people over 'offensive' jokes.

Too late :p. Actually, I wouldn't leave that out. I think it's completely ok to say you've made an inoffensive joke about the islamic faith because IT IS POSSIBLE to do that (due to not being a f*cking idiot). I agree that it MAY have been a sly dig at that type of Muslim, but that would be measuring Jimmy Carr's intelligence in a cynical kind of way. Let's see what they say over there eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    Actually, in the program Anne was at pains to show they can do humour.
    To prove it, she produced some Christian comedy. It was a badly drawn picture of a monk farting, from the margin of a psalter book which was a few hundred years old. When she pointed out that it was funny, I nearly died laughing, so I did.

In fairness they probably can do humour, some of them. Certainly if the person who pushed Widdecombe as the ideal presenter of the show was chirstian, it'd be proof positive.

Muslim or not, anyone who gets offended enough by jokes to kill another human IS a f*cking idiot.

Too late :p. Actually, I wouldn't leave that out. I think it's completely ok to say you've made an inoffensive joke about the islamic faith because IT IS POSSIBLE to do that (due to not being a f*cking idiot). I agree that it MAY have been a sly dig at that type of Muslim, but that would be measuring Jimmy Carr's intelligence in a cynical kind of way. Let's see what they say over there eh?

Jimmy Carr, cynical? No!!!! :pac:

Sarky wrote: »
    Muslim or not, anyone who gets offended enough by jokes to kill another human IS a f*cking idiot.

Well yes. But let's just stick to the facts here as a matter of interest. This was said by Jimmy Carr:

"I've got a Muslim friend who is really religious. He knows the Quran backwards. Which is handy because that's how you read it.

A surprisingly well-informed and inoffensive joke about the Islamic faith. And that's because I'm not a f*cking idiot."

I agree with your statement Sarky. However, for the purposes of finding out if the joke (in his first 3 sentences) is actually inoffensive to Muslims, I choose to believe that Carr is claiming not to be an idiot on the basis that he can make an inoffensive joke about Islam where others have clearly failed.

• Advertisement

Well yes. But let's just stick to the facts here as a matter of interest. This was said by Jimmy Carr:

"I've got a Muslim friend who is really religious. He knows the Quran backwards. Which is handy because that's how you read it.

A surprisingly well-informed and inoffensive joke about the Islamic faith. And that's because I'm not a f*cking idiot."

I agree with your statement Sarky. However, for the purposes of finding out if the joke (in his first 3 sentences) is actually inoffensive to Muslims, I choose to believe that Carr is claiming not to be an idiot on the basis that he can make an inoffensive joke about Islam where others have clearly failed.

I'm sure that's what he meant as well. Meh, either way. You can ignore whatever incarnation of dead one shows up to get pissy.

Advertisement