Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's top ten earners paid €3.6 million in 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

squod wrote: »
    I want topless TV presenters for that kind of money.

You want Pat Kenny and Joe Duffy topless?

GET OUT YOU F*CKING FREAK!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hootanany wrote: »
    Who watches RTE

Who watches TV, I stopped about 10 years ago once I got a decent broadband connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

AnonoBoy wrote: »

GET OUT YOU F*CKING FREAK!!!!

I bet Pat Kenny has abs of steel under those suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I bet Pat Kenny has abs of steel under those suits.

He actually does.

Ssshhhh.... I promised I wouldn't tell! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

There should be an uprising about this. Mobs with torches marching down to burn the RTE studios down.

How dare they force every household to fork out 160 euro to pay for these obscene salaries through threat of imprisonment.

A disgusting mafia state. The same talentless spoofers who question the elite "on our behalf" while they wine and dine in the same establishments as them.

The Irish people are getting shafted.

• Advertisement

Does RTE pay Pat Kenny so much because they're afraid he'd claim squatters rights on the place if they didn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

AnonoBoy wrote: »

.... different strokes, different folks.....

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm all for a salary, expenses and perks cap for all workers paid by the taxpayer.

The tv license is effectively a tax.

As such, I don't care if a tv3 presenter is paid 100 million a year, but rte salaries along with all other public sector jobs must be held to a different set of standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I never watch RTE. I don't pay the licence fee either. I'd love to see how many would pay €170 a year if it was optional, but if you didn't pay, you didn't get the channels. Like an add on to sky.
    I definitely wouldn't. The fact that the licence fee is compulsory if you have a tv is the worst part.
    The picture in the OP's link of that smug talentless arséhole Tubrity makes me feel ill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm not one for criticising salaries but these people couldn't get one third of these salaries any where else. I'm annoyed at the people negotiating these salaries. I want to know how much they are on because they are clearly not doing their job very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lets do a simple comparison.

New Zealand has a population very close in size to ours, c. 4.5mil.

TVNZ, New Zealand's national broadcaster, pays its two top earners Simon Dallow and Wendy Petrie in the region of $300,000 which is about €200,000. RTE's top earner Ryan Tubrity is paid in excess of double this figure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭frankie_fisher

pat kenny is an excellent broadcaster and someone who,s talents would most likely be rewarded to the same degree were he in law or something

marian finucane and joe duffy are truly insufferable , their pay packets defy logic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

TVNZ, New Zealand's national broadcaster, pays its two top earners Simon Dallow and Wendy Petrie in the region of $300,000 which is about €200,000. RTE's top earner Ryan Tubrity is paid in excess of double this figure.

€373,000 is not double €200,000.

Cost of living is higher in NZ however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, I wasn't too far out with what I remembered.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/tubridy-s-earnings-cut-by-31-as-rt%C3%A9-slashes-presenters-pay-1.1340805

So Tubridy's earnings actually increased in 2011 - an increase of 12% on 2010 earnings, in spite of RTE's claim of continually reducing top earner's fees since 2008. RTE actively raised his earnings over a 2-3 year period (when others started recieving paycuts and some employees were laid-off) so any future paycut would look better and still leave Tubridy with a massive salary, commensurate with hosting the Late Late show.

FWIW, in 2004, he earned e216,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

dzer2 wrote: »
    Or leave:rolleyes:

To go where exactly? Pharaoh Island TV?

On a more serious note, I wonder how far a legal challenge against the licence fee would get? When you think that, for example, a cash-strapped working single mother of four young kids has to pay up the cost of 2 months heating bills to fund a fraction of the salary of these 10 bland professional, even though she may never benefit from their work.

Where is the legal justice in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its to much money to be paying these broadcasters, Marian finucane does just a saturday & sunday mornings for gods sake ??

If rte want to pay them that sort of money that should be up to them, but unfortunately its coming out of the public purse, Between our politicians and our broadcasters we surely no how to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Why would the Taoiseach's pay matter? They are in different industries. .............

They are not in any industry that I have ever heard of.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/industry
    in·dus·try (nd-str)
    n. pl. in·dus·tries
    1. Commercial production and sale of goods.
    2. A specific branch of manufacture and trade: the textile industry. See Synonyms at business.
    3. The sector of an economy made up of manufacturing enterprises: government regulation of industry.

Isn't RTE currently operating at a loss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

What pisses me off is that you have people ringing into Tubridy or Liveline saying how they are struggling to feed the kids, can't afford to keep a car anymore....yet Tubridy & crew are their sitting on their hundreds of thousands salary....for what??? Why do these people derseve this kind of money??? what are they doing to help society?? Gardaí taking huge pay cuts, as are teachers etc...A&E's closing down across the country & this is were so much money is going?? It s just crazy...this country is such a fuk up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Tubridy presents a show that gets about a million viewers a week, plus a presumably popular radio show.

Nope, he presents a spectacularly unsuccessful radio show. He inherited a show with over 300,000 listeners, of which he has lost over 140,000.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Well said. As an ordinary taxpayer I'm fed up supporting others in RTE and the public service to an obscenely higher wages and pensions, when like most private sector peoiple I cannot even afford a pension myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Now that RTE have come out of the closet, let's have some clarity on pay and perks for other media types who insist on lecturing the rest of us on how lucky you are to have a job and how you should be glad of a pay cut instead of the dole. No recession in media land !!

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Isn't RTE currently operating at a loss?

Yeah, a 16.8 million euro deficit for the previous year, but according to the 9 o'clock news it's expected to break even this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Moan all you want. We don't have state owned TV (its either semi state or private). I'd prefer to have a licence fee.

Presenters are terrible, everything is scripted, non stop advert breaks to pay for it all. Home grown tv shows look like they're made in the back garage.

Out of 4 channels, all have informericals from 1am to 11am daily (roughly), the other starts its breakfast show at 9pm and is done by 11am, half of the time is paid interview adverts. Same as the radio stations, all heavily covered in adverts fake product interviews.

There is a lot to be said for tv licence fees. The problem with Ireland is, it isn't utilised right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭frankie_fisher

Rabies wrote: »
    Moan all you want. We don't have state owned TV (its either semi state or private). I'd prefer to have a licence fee.

Presenters are terrible, everything is scripted, non stop advert breaks to pay for it all. Home grown tv shows look like they're made in the back garage.

Out of 4 channels, all have informericals from 1am to 11am daily (roughly), the other starts its breakfast show at 9pm and is done by 11am, half of the time is paid interview adverts. Same as the radio stations, all heavily covered in adverts fake product interviews.

There is a lot to be said for tv licence fees. The problem with Ireland is, it isn't utilised right.

having lived in new zealand for a while over a decade ago , i can confirm that tv in new zealand is awfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You want the shirt off their back as well?

Well they are taking ours, i want my shirt back.

According to the rte news app, Ryan Tubridy is on €723,000 a year which is UP 12% from 2010.

The likes of this makes this country disgusting. Its a f**king joke.

We close down Garda stations and hospitals, cut money from disabled people, introduce expensive property taxes and force people to scrape up €160 a year to pay for people who talk bollax a few hours a week to earn huge such huge salaries and at time when we are told there is no alternative to the austerity imposed on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

squod wrote: »
    I want topless TV presenters for that kind of money.

With what RTE has to offer?.......Fúck no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The DG / Controller of Radio should lay it down simply to the big names - Given RTE's budgetary constraints, we're cutting salaries by 50%.

That leaves you with three options:

1) Go to TV3 / Other Commercial Radio - Enjoy lower production values, lower audience share, less support staff and considerably less job security.

2) Try your luck in Britain - Where many of the RTE talent would be fortunate to end up presenting the graveyard shift on BBC East Anglia & their performance will be subjected to far greater levels of scrutiny from station bosses, the press and public alike.

3) Agree a new contract with RTE and be thankful you're doing a job for many multiples of the average industrial wage.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The DG / Controller of Radio should lay it down simply to the big names - Given RTE's budgetary constraints, we're cutting salaries by 50%.

That leaves you with three options:

1) Go to TV3 / Other Commercial Radio - Enjoy lower production values, lower audience share, less support staff and considerably less job security.

2) Try your luck in Britain - Where many of the RTE talent would be fortunate to end up presenting the graveyard shift on BBC East Anglia & their performance will be subjected to far greater levels of scrutiny from station bosses, the press and public alike.

3) Agree a new contract with RTE and be thankful you're doing a job for many multiples of the average industrial wage.

Problem is the DG himself earns 250,000 euros a year, I have a feeling that RTE's management were just as generous to themselves as were to the "stars" during the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Yamanoto wrote: »
    ^ ^ ^
    |_______|______|______________ When the gurus in Irish media earn €41807 PA then they can tell us how to run our lives.

Advertisement