Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSL (computer science and a language) in Trinity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

Timetable's up on my.tcd.ie, doesn't look too bad. Thursdays off :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

EvM wrote: »
    Timetable's up on my.tcd.ie, doesn't look too bad. Thursdays off :D.

Fridays would be beautiful if it wasn't for that pesky last lecture ... Might be skipping a few of those :D

Prodgey wrote: »
    Fridays would be beautiful if it wasn't for that pesky last lecture ... Might be skipping a few of those :D

Haha oh god I know, 6 on a Friday is just such an awkward time for it :P. Yeah, I think that may be in order :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

What lectures do you have on Friday evening? There's something you'll all have called DCLRS (Dublin Computational Linguistics Research Seminar) at some point during the week. All CSL students attend it so we'll see you there. :P Basically it's an opportunity for us to see what people can do with computational linguistics. Postgrads, professors, or whatever else, come in and give a talk on their work.

It's often EXTREMELY difficult to understand. Full of technobabble. The only work you have to do for it is to write out a paragraph on what you understood. :P

Last year it was in Trinity, but since it's a cross-university affair, it cycles between TCD, UCD, DCU, and DIT. Meaning it'll be in some other university.

Last year it was 4-6pm on Friday but from our timetables it doesn't seem like there's time to get to a different campus. (We have a lecture at 3.) Just curious what yours says?

EmmetOT wrote: »
    What lectures do you have on Friday evening? There's something you'll all have called DCLRS (Dublin Computational Linguistics Research Seminar) at some point during the week. All CSL students attend it so we'll see you there. :P Basically it's an opportunity for us to see what people can do with computational linguistics. Postgrads, professors, or whatever else, come in and give a talk on their work.

It's often EXTREMELY difficult to understand. Full of technobabble. The only work you have to do for it is to write out a paragraph on what you understood. :P

Last year it was in Trinity, but since it's a cross-university affair, it cycles between TCD, UCD, DCU, and DIT. Meaning it'll be in some other university.

Last year it was 4-6pm on Friday but from our timetables it doesn't seem like there's time to get to a different campus. (We have a lecture at 3.) Just curious what yours says?

Can't see anything like that on my timetable. The lecture I have on Friday at 6 is just a French oral one. Is the DCLRS on all year? Doesn't sound too bad anyway... apart from all that "being extremely hard to understand" business of course :pac:. Hopefully wherever it's on isn't too much of a trek :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Silver Cloud

Can't see anything like that on my timetable. The lecture I have on Friday at 6 is just a French oral one. Is the DCLRS on all year? Doesn't sound too bad anyway... apart from all that "being extremely hard to understand" business of course :pac:. Hopefully wherever it's on isn't too much of a trek :P.

It starts up around November-ish and then goes on till the end of the year. You have to do a minimum of four a year, which is actually a little more difficult than it sounds :P You'll get emails about them every week once they start.
    Best tactic for dealing with them imo is to go to the first four and then forget about them the rest of the year unless a topic sounds actually interesting.
    In them, try to scribble as much of whatever the lecturer says on scrap paper, then type up whatever you wrote by the following Monday, regardless of whether what you've written makes sense or not. It probably won't, but by that fact it kinda shows that you were there. They don't really expect you to understand it, just to attend.

Looking forward to meeting all ye firsties next week anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I find it strange that Computer Science in Trinity would focus on Perl, Assembly, Integration or Differentiation. It's not like any of that would actually ever be useful (okay there might be one company in the country that uses Perl, but the same could be said of COBOL). :pac:

Although, having said that, understanding the "about" of Assembly, rather than the "how" could be useful for shining a light on how the whole concept of how higher level languages work...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I don't think it's about the "usefulness" of calculus, but the general principles behind maths like logic, which come in handy when solving problems. And although Perl might not be popular here, in countries like Poland and Ukraine it's used an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tyty

The focus lies mainly on Java and C++. Some Assembly is useful to understand the foundations and Perl is used for natural language processing, so it definitely has a place in CSL.

Actually I was just looking at the timetable there and that lecture isn't there anymore? Is it there for you? Good news if it's not :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Actually I was just looking at the timetable there and that lecture isn't there anymore? Is it there for you? Good news if it's not :P

Just checked... Still there, and an extra lab in the morning.. FML :P

Just checked... Still there, and an extra lab in the morning.. FML :P

So it says we have 2 labs in the morning? Lovely :(. Anyway hopefully the 6pm one will end up getting moved if we have that DCLRS thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roughosing

Haha I love how you guys are talking about it and getting into it as if its a 200 point course, I'm losing my **** about how I'm gonna get 525, but hopefully getting that I'd like to know how people find it and whats the social life like in Trinity and if its worth all this worrying and pulling hair for?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

There's already a ton of stuff online about your questions, including (presumably, I'm too lazy to re-read) in this thread.

Social life in Trinity is pretty much all on you, but there's a pretty high ceiling on the potential. Ton of societies, yada yada yada.

Nothing's ever worth worrying about, especially this stuff, but it's a good course and seems to attract cool people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BombaWomba23

EDIT: Oh... and in 3rd year you go to France, Germany or Scotland depending on your language. But you can do the bare minimum of 8 weeks abroad and come home if you're a a home-person.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering with regards to the year abroad, are the fees for the course the same as the previous two years? And also what's the deal with regards to accommodation at the foreing college- i.e. Is it provided by the college or do you have to find your own accommodation and pay full rent?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tyty

During the year abroad you'll still remain registered at Trinity and only have to pay the fees there. You'll have to find and pay for accommodation yourself, but most cities/universities will have some form of student housing which can be cheaper than renting a room/flat and is usually easy to get. You'll also get an Erasmus grant of ~200-250€/month, paid in 3 installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BombaWomba23

Ahhh I see, thanks a lot for that

Advertisement