Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSL (computer science and a language) in Trinity

Options
  • 25-03-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey, so i'll be doing my LC this June and I've been looking into this course a bit but I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd be interested to hear what it's like from a student, things like how important it would be to be knowledgable about computer science going in, how hard are the courses, what the workload's like, class sizes, that type of thing.

To be perfectly honest I don't know a whole lot about computer science, so I'd like to know if its easy for newcomers at the start or if most people going into it would already know a bit about it. The language I'd be choosing would be French, so if anyone doing this course could give me some information about it I'd appreciate it :). Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Hi there, I'm in first year CSL at the moment and it's a great course :D About 1 in 10 of the whole CS school come in with programming experience but if you're good at problem solving you'll be as good as them after a few weeks. If you're not, there's a programming help centre, but most of us just go to others on the course for help with programming. The workload is relative really. Getting into the firsts for French work (70% +) would be a huge difference in workload over the normal CS guys, but if you're not aiming as high as that, then the workload isn't that much different.

There are 17 of us in the course at the moment (French: 12, Irish: 1, German: 4). Unlike CS where there are subgroups of friends, CSL is more like 1 single group, you'll end up being good friends with everyone.

You'll be in about half of the CS modules. In the first half of the year you'll have Programming (Java), Maths (Matrices, Integration + Differentiation) and Computing (Writing in a primitive computer language called 'Assembly'). There's another module that links 'the computers' and 'the language' parts together. You'll learn prolog (used in Artificial Intelligence). And Perl (used in language parsing [translators]). However, this module is non-examined so there's no pressure (it's up to you really). In the second half, maths gets easier (boolean algebra), and CSL students are dropped from the computing module.

There's some linguistics too. In the first half of the year you'll do social linguistics twice a week (there'll be a different topic each week ranging from second language acquisition to the origins of language). Second half of the year, social linguistics is dropped and you then have Phonetics and Syntax (a weekly 2 hour lecture for each). In phonetics, you'll learn the IPA (the pronunciation alphabet they use on wikipedia) and in syntax you'll learn the ins and outs of sentences (how to split up a sentence into logical parts and analyse it).

We don't do the cultural module or the literary module in French (poetry, novels etc.). We have 1 oral tutorial, 2 writing tutorials and 1 grammar lecture a week.

The weekly workload for me is 1 French written piece (200 - 300 words), 1 topic to research for French oral, 1 java program to make, 1 assignment for Phonetics, some reading for Syntax and then there's the DCLRS* write up. We have less hours than general computer science: 18/19 hours a week. I'd say the hardest part about the course is balancing it all out. I like the programming side of it, so I end up putting too much work in there and then doing my French on the bus. Others like the language; put a lot of work into assignments and researching the topics, but then scrape their way through programming.

I was being a bit adventurous when I put CSL on my CAO but it turned out to be a great decision. I recommend it :)
    Seán

* The DCLRS (Dublin Computational Linguistics Research Seminar) is a 1 hour long talk we go to on Fridays. A guest talks about a topic (usually to do with linguistics and computers). We have to write a submit short report on the topic.

EDIT: Oh... and in 3rd year you go to France, Germany or Scotland depending on your language. But you can do the bare minimum of 8 weeks abroad and come home if you're a a home-person.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

Hey, I'm also in CSL. I'm in the same year as Mathstalk. He is a butt. Don't listen to him, everything he says is a lie. In CSL we like to roll in mud and rub our bums together while crying. It's great fun!

(I actually am in CSL though. Not much else to contribute, except if you're coming in next year, it's likely that either me or Mathstalk will be one of your S2S Peer Mentors. You'd best hope it's Mathstalk because I'm gonna make all my mentees rub their bums together.)

EmmetOT wrote: »
    Hey, I'm also in CSL. I'm in the same year as Mathstalk. He is a butt. Don't listen to him, everything he says is a lie. In CSL we like to roll in mud and rub our bums together while crying. It's great fun!

(I actually am in CSL though. Not much else to contribute, except if you're coming in next year, it's likely that either me or Mathstalk will be one of your S2S Peer Mentors. You'd best hope it's Mathstalk because I'm gonna make all my mentees rub their bums together.)

Yep. That's Emmet :rolleyes:

Sometimes we all skip class together and go eat custard under the stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

mathstalk wrote: »
    I was being a bit adventurous when I put CSL on my CAO but it turned out to be a great decision. I recommend it
    Seán

Wow, thanks so much for writing such a detailed and informative reply! Answered all of my questions about CSL, thanks a million :).

Wait, so in CSL you learn programming, a language, and get to rub bums together while crying without fear of being judged?! Finally, I thought I was the only one.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the replies!

Edit: eating custard under the stairs!?!? Why have I not heard about this!!?!

• Advertisement

Well... I never said you wouldn't be judged.

It's a hard life, being a CSL student. Nobody understands you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Silver Cloud

Well... I never said you wouldn't be judged.

It's a hard life, being a CSL student. Nobody understands you.

Way too true. We're such a weird course :p

Also in first year here (hey Emmet, hey Seán), and all I can really think to add is to recommend that you try to keep up some level of whatever language you intend on taking, as the skill really goes if you don't.

Also, if you want a headstart on learning java, which is the main language you do for first year, look up "thenewboston" on youtube. His lessons for beginners are excellent, and a good way of getting an idea of what programming is basically like.

One thing mathstalk touched on is the idea of having prior knowledge of coding, and the thing is you really don't need to worry about that.
    If you're decent at maths, and you have a somewhat logical mind, you're already halfway there. It's really not too hard to pick up.

Anyway, hope to see you next year :D

Way too true. We're such a weird course :p

Also in first year here (hey Emmet, hey Seán), and all I can really think to add is to recommend that you try to keep up some level of whatever language you intend on taking, as the skill really goes if you don't.

Also, if you want a headstart on learning java, which is the main language you do for first year, look up "thenewboston" on youtube. His lessons for beginners are excellent, and a good way of getting an idea of what programming is basically like.

One thing mathstalk touched on is the idea of having prior knowledge of coding, and the thing is you really don't need to worry about that.
    If you're decent at maths, and you have a somewhat logical mind, you're already halfway there. It's really not too hard to pick up.

Anyway, hope to see you next year :D

Hey, thanks for replying as well :D! Cheers for the advice, i'll try to make sure I don't forget everything about French during the summer :P. And I'll definitely be having a look at thenewboston over the break.

Anyway I'm glad that knowing how to code before going in isn't necessary, as that was pretty much my biggest worry about the course. Thankfully maths is one of my better subjects anyway :P.

Anyway thanks a bunch for all the replies, and yeah I hope so too ^^!

Oh yeah, and one other thing is that the genders are much more balanced in CSL than in the main CS course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

How do hours compare?

• Advertisement

First term we had roughly 15 CS hours a week, 2 linguistics, and about 4 or 5 of language.
    Second term changed to about 9 CS hours, 4 linguistics, and still 4/5 for language.

As far as I can reckon from their timetable, pure CS were closer to 30 hours a week, though it might have been more like ~25 if you account for classes that are split into groups. I can't say for sure.

We had less overall anyway.

You can have a look at the timetables yourself here if you want, although none of the language side of CSL is included in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eoinmurphy1

Accepted the offer for Computer Science and Language last week, was just wondering when did you guys select which language you wanted to do?

They should send you an email fairly soon. I'm pretty sure I got mine the same day I accepted, but I don't know if that was the same for everyone. Mine came from Susan Power (spower@tcd.ie), but I can't say whether she's still handling that this year. If you don't get anything in the next day or two, maybe send her an email in the next day or two and she might at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, if you're only eligible for one language, they might have just assumed that was the one you're doing. Would that be the case?

EDIT: Also, congrats on the course - welcome to the clan :)

Yeah, my email just said "you're doing French" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

I got no email yet, can't wait :D German for me !

I didn't get my email for a while afterwards. You'll get a choice between every language you got at least a C1 in (B3 for Irish though) :D

Haven't heard anything yet either, but I'll be doing French :P. Can't wait!

Ahh okay grand, thanks. Seriously looking forward to starting :)

Dear XXXXXXX,

We are delighted that you have accepted your offer to the degree programme in Computer Science and Language (TR039).

As part of this course you will study one of French, German or Irish. The entry requirements for these languages are as follows:

French HC1 in French

German HC1 in German

Irish HB1 in Irish

On the basis of your Leaving Certificate results you are eligible to study IRISH or GERMAN.

I should be grateful if you would let me know no later than Monday 2nd September, 2013 which language you wish to study.

Many thanks.

Came this morning. Still no student ID though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

What happens if you didn't do French or German for the Leaving Cert, can you still do French or German with CSL?

• Advertisement

No. :P The subjects are required.

I got the email about the language, but I don't suppose either of you've gotten your id yet? Apparently people got them over a week ago :P.

CSL is a strange course. They tend to forget about us a bit every now and then :P You should have gotten access to your mytcd account by now, but if you haven't you ought to get it fairly soon. You do all the registration and fee-paying etc. through there.

Don't worry, you should have everything you need by Freshers' week.

EvM wrote: »
    I got the email about the language, but I don't suppose either of you've gotten your id yet? Apparently people got them over a week ago :P.

Ring them. I rang yesterday and she said it was sent on the 23rd of august. Then she clicked resend and I got it while I was still on the phone. She asks for name, d.o.b and CAO number.

Last year's timetable looks rotten!

Could someone starting CSL this year do me a huge favour? I'll be in Lourdes during freshers week and possibly the first day or two of lectures, so could someone (preferably someone doing French) post any sort of essential information about the course? Books we might need, timetable, anything like that. If one of you could either post it here or I'll pm someone my email address I would be eternally grateful

Could someone starting CSL this year do me a huge favour? I'll be in Lourdes during freshers week and possibly the first day or two of lectures, so could someone (preferably someone doing French) post any sort of essential information about the course? Books we might need, timetable, anything like that. If one of you could either post it here or I'll pm someone my email address I would be eternally grateful

I'm doing german but I've no problem doing the other stuff.

Yeah sure, I'm doing it with French too so I'll post the stuff here whenever I find out.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks lads :)

Advertisement