Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavier Passengers 'Should Pay More' (and not michael o'leary btw!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Vitali Klitchko... 6 foot 7 and weighs between 17.5 and 18 stone...where are you lot going to tell him to sit on your perfect human specimin planes.. ? :)

No doubt there would be a queue of people telling him to get off the plane cause he was too heavy.... erm... not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Sky having a slow news day then? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It'll never happen. Us tall strong muscular people run the world and won't let this stand. Ye frail featherlike nerdlings can complain all ye want, still bottom rung.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

kjl wrote: »
    OK lets be honest, it's never going to happen. There would be outrage if it did.

But consider this,

I am 6f5 and weigh about 205lb, I was born generically tall and as such I am not over weight, so why should I have to pay extra? In fact I already do because there is never enough leg room from me so I normally have to get the emergency exit seats.

You would not be paying "extra", you are paying for exactly the amount of weight that you bring on the plane, be it in baggage or as part of your person. You could always get a boat if you are so worried about legroom, colossus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Rochelle wrote: »
    I shouldn't worry about that, lardarses are already making a show of themselves and for the most part don't seem to mind.

Well if you shouldn't, then don't. I can make up my own mind, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭keithb93

How about an extra charge for obese people, some people are naturally build and heavier but not unhealthy, thus shouldn't pay more. This might motivate fatty's to lose some weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Malari wrote: »
    Whether I agree with it ethically is another thing! :pac:

What's unethical about?

It will force people to take account of their lifestyle and stop being a burden on the health system.

Its already a fact that obese people can't do certain things ...like ride a rollercoaster! ...would you be on that train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

jackal wrote: »
    You would not be paying "extra", you are paying for exactly the amount of weight that you bring on the plane, be it in baggage or as part of your person. You could always get a boat if you are so worried about legroom, colossus!

but we've established it costs 2.88l per hour of flight per 70kg of person, so if some big bugger of 140kg wanted to fly, based on weight, he'd have to pay about a fiver extra per hour of flight. It's not the huge sums the airlines want you to think when it comes to cost per weight of passenger - the vast majority of weight on any passenger plane is the fuel and the plane itself, costing approximately 4.5 times the amount of fuel 150 70kg passengers do. A fatty, or a dozen fatties, costs an airline a pittance in fuel, just like a heavy bag costs them practically nil to carry. It's a money making racket

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

keithb93 wrote: »
    How about an extra charge for obese people, This might motivate fatty's to lose some weight.
    this delusianel comment always comes up in such discussions, and it fails all the time, because the mindset doesn't work like that, at least not in this country, the mindset is "the airline is trying to screw me so i'm not going to fly with them i'l find another one"
    keithb93 wrote: »
    some people are naturally build and heavier but not unhealthy, thus shouldn't pay more.
    to find out for sure who fits into which catigorry would most likely mean medical checks for everyone before a flight, the cost of that means its not going to happen even though the passengers would be the ones paying for such checks. such a charge won't happen as they won't be allowed by the EU so nothing to worry about.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

books4sale wrote: »
    It will force people to take account of their lifestyle and stop being a burden on the health system.
    really? you sure about that one? i suppose in your own little world it might be the case but in truth life will just continue as normal for such people, they will either pay up or just stop using any airline who imposes such charge most likely but continue with their life styles

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Beef_Injection

Naturally tall and healthy people should not be subject to such a charge if it were to somehow unbelievably pass.

As for you plump and big boned oompa loompas, take a hint and get the finger out. I'm not paying the same fare as you and having you spill over my chair like a second arm rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

kjl wrote: »
    I am 6f5 and weigh about 205lb, I was born generically tall

#Sorry John, Sorry,
    Better try it again#

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What's unethical about?

Its already a fact that obese people can't do certain things ...like ride a rollercoaster! ...would you be on that train?

You don't see an ethical problem with this? Quite aside from the fact that tall, muscular people would also be hit with larger surcharges, and presumably you don't see them as being a "burden on the health system", should we penalise anyone with a medical problem whose treatments are paid for by the HSE just because they have the potential to change their lifestyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

biko wrote: »
    Just put the very slim next to the very fat.
    Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

15 minutes on the Ryanair Airport Liposuction Machine for 20 Euro, or 2 minutes on the Ryanair Airport Chainsaw for 3.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    15 minutes on the Ryanair Airport Liposuction Machine for 20 Euro, or 2 minutes on the Ryanair Airport Chainsaw for 3.50

....and preorder your Ryanair prosthetic limb for rental whilst on your holiday :pac:

....and preorder your Ryanair prosthetic limb for rental whilst on your holiday :pac:

One of the calendar girls revving up the chainsaw when one of the check in crew reads out the excess gut options to a trembling fat bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm lighter than the average person, do I get it cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think we can safely say this wont be happening.

Someone just wanted to maximise their publicity.

(Yawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's unethical about?

No it wouldn't. It will force heavy people to pay more. That's it.

But as mentioned about 20 times already, it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

smash wrote: »
    Sizeism? Seriously, is this a thing now?

If I have to pay extra for my slightly overweight suitcase, then they can pay extra for their seriously overweight bodies.

Seems reasonable until you consider the difference between a 5 foot woman and a six foot two man, both of whom are at their ideal BMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Boombastic wrote: »
    I'm lighter than the average person, do I get it cheaper?

Overhead Luggage to be known as Underweight Passengers is another proposal being put forward.

Sowee:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How is this fair?

I'm 6'0 and 90kg, so I should be discriminated against all because I like cake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hey Bhatta Bhatta Swing Bhatta!

Never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I can just picture the queues full of crying women having to step up onto the scales in front of an entire airport...

Any airline who would dare implement this is crazy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

might encourage a few people to put the fork down if it was implemented

They'd probably be expecting three helpings of everything on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Would it encourage tall people to chop half their legs off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If this was ever brought in I think it would be very insensitive towards the morbidly obese. I don't think they would travel out of sheer embarrassment..... OH WAIT!

• Advertisement

Advertisement