Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavier Passengers 'Should Pay More' (and not michael o'leary btw!)

Options
  • 25-03-2013 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://news.sky.com/story/1069283/airfares-heavier-passengers-should-pay-more
    Airlines should make heavier passengers pay more for their plane tickets and lighter ones less, it has been suggested.

The controversial pay-as-you-weigh pricing scheme has been mooted by a Norwegian professor who argues that weight and space should be taken into account by airlines pricing their tickets.

Writing in this month's Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, Dr Bharat P Bhatta has put forward three proposals.

The first would see fares directly linked to the weight of a person and their belongings, with a fixed rate for kilograms per passenger.

Under this method, a person weighing 60kg (132lb or 9st 6lb) would pay half the airfare of a 120kg (264lb or 18st 12lb) person.

Dr Bhatta's second proposal involves charging a fixed base rate, with an additional charge for heavier passengers to cover the extra costs.

Every passenger could have a different fare according to this option.

The professor's final suggestion is for passengers to have the same fare if they have an average weight, but this could be discounted for weights below a certain limit or added to for excess weight above it.

This option would result in three types of fares: high, average and low.

Bit controversial to say the least, could this be classed as 'sizeism' ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sizeism? Seriously, is this a thing now?

If I have to pay extra for my slightly overweight suitcase, then they can pay extra for their seriously overweight bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well not just "sizeist"...statistically women are lighter..so it would end up favouring them also...so sexist also :P

Edit: But since we pay for them a lot of the time I suppose it would benefit us too. (Joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

smash wrote: »
    Sizeism? Seriously, is this a thing now?

If I have to pay extra for my slightly overweight suitcase, then they can pay extra for their seriously overweight bodies.

yes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sizeism

and...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightism

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So say I weigh 15 kg more than another passenger, but while they check in 20 kg in luggage, I my luggage weighs only 5 kg...

With the current luggage system, I would pay more than them with this proposal, even though the airline will transport exactly the same weight in both cases.

Do we really want to make airline fees so complex, just so some people will not feel offended any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Sounds like Dr Bharat P Bhatta was put sitting beside a fatty one too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'd like to see a system where you and your luggage are weighed together and charged accordingly.

I overpack and I accept I should pay more than those who only carry on but I resent paying through the nose when me and my oversized case combined weigh less than many other passengers.

It would be difficult to implement for advanced payment though and even though I think it's unfair I wouldn't like to see people being made a show of in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

While I have no problem with a price per kilo it would be impossible to enforce. You'd either have to input your weight, plus the weight of your clothes etc when you book the ticket online, or you'd have to wait until you got to the airport to be weighed for payment, which would be time consuming and inconvenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

davet82 wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/1069283/airfares-heavier-passengers-should-pay-more

Bit controversial to say the least, could this be classed as 'sizeism' ?

More weight=more fuel=more cost. They can either adjust the estimate for average passenger weight up, or charge the lard asses more.

I say this and acknowledge that I would be in the lardy-lard ass category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It sounds perfectly plausible to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Shenshen wrote: »
    So say I weigh 15 kg more than another passenger, but while they check in 20 kg in luggage, I my luggage weighs only 5 kg...

Hop on the belt there with your bag Shenshen.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

If you weigh more than you pay more.....makes sense!

Back in the day, nature's way culled the herd, if you couldn't run then you were picked off by a wolf or something.

The Earth doesn't have limitless resources. Hit them in the pocket I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would say that Dr Bharat P Bhatta should find better things to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Combine passenger + bag weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

books4sale wrote: »
    Back in the day, nature's way culled the herd, if you couldn't run then you were picked off by a wolf or something.

The Earth doesn't have limitless resources. Hit them in the pocket I say!

awh, I thought you were gonna suggest hunting them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

you'd probably end up with a lot of dehydrated passengers and a huge queue for the airport jacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I'm 85Kg and 1.98. (13stone and 6ft 6 for the dinosaurs).

I am by no means over weight and have an athletic build. Under these proposals I'd be punished for my genetics. Someone who is 5ft 5 and loves the pies could in theory have to pay less.

Its unworkable and unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I'd like to see a system where you and your luggage are weighed together and charged accordingly.

Just make sure to get to the airport at least 6 hours before your flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

osarusan wrote: »

He's an economist writing an article for a peer-reviewed journal, and has published a book on the use of choice models in the transport industry. I'd say the man is eminently suited to speak about such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

If you're over a certain weight you should have to travel in the hold....

...or if you're bringing kids on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

osarusan wrote: »

Yeah, with that name he should be recording rap records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,192 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Won't ever pass into law in the EU so don't worry about it.

seanmacc wrote: »
    I'm 85Kg and 1.98. (13stone and 6ft 6 for the dinosaurs).

I am by no means over weight and have an athletic build. Under these proposals I'd be punished for my genetics. Someone who is 5ft 5 and loves the pies could in theory have to pay less.

Its unworkable and unfair.

That would be hard to swallow but the fact is that it costs more to transport you so why shouldn't you pay more?
    Just make sure to get to the airport at least 6 hours before your flight.

Did you read the rest of my post?

Did you read the rest of my post?

It wouldn't be difficult to implement in advance, it would be damn near impossible.

The only way would be to weigh people and their bags at check-in, which is why we don't state the exact weight of our bags when booking online.

It wouldn't be difficult to implement in advance, it would be damn near impossible.

The only way would be to weigh people and their bags at check-in, which is why we don't state the exact weight of our bags when booking online.

Oh sorry, you're interested in a game of semantics. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Can't see how they'd ever get something like that through, but it does annoy me when I struggle to pack my bag within the parameters of the airline's requirements and then see an enormous person board the plane with the same sized bag as me. He or she will clearly use more fuel than me (I'm 5'6" and a dress size 12, no idea what weight).

Oh sorry, you're interested in a game of semantics. Apologies.

Nope. Just pointing out the impracticality of your suggestion. Something you pointed out yourself, but didn't seem to quite realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Heh heh pandimonium at the airport check in where ladies are asked to step on the scales in public. All the ones behind them waiting to hear the price of the ticket either to high five each other or nervously bite nails awaiting their turn. I'm sure a lot of men wouldn't like to get onto scales either as sucking in the gut doesn't decrease weight - damn it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

kylith wrote: »
    While I have no problem with a price per kilo it would be impossible to enforce. You'd either have to input your weight, plus the weight of your clothes etc when you book the ticket online, or you'd have to wait until you got to the airport to be weighed for payment, which would be time consuming and inconvenient.

Unless you're charged 50 euro up front and you're refunded when you return home and have made both of your 'weigh ins'

Nope. Just pointing out the impracticality of your suggestion. Something you pointed out yourself, but didn't seem to quite realise it.

No. I realised it and pointed it out. You just felt the need to argue about wording.

• Advertisement

Did anyone watch the sky news interview this morning? That posh bird was a right stuck up b1tch!

If people were charged more for being heavier and larger, will they will get seats they can actually sit comfortably in?

Advertisement