Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hangovers are worse as you get older

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Haveadayoff

OP needs te have a day off i think lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I always assumed that as you get older, you eventually realise that measuring the success of the night before by how sick and awful you feel the day after is just a ruse by people with more brains than that, who laugh themselves silly behind your back while you're embracing the loo...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I turned 30 recently, the only difference for me is it doesn't take as much to get me drunk.

I still to this day, no matter how much I drink, ever get hangovers.

You may commence hating me.........now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I have found hangovers to get worse as I get older. Most of the reasons have already been mentioned.

The other one is: I've to get up with the bleedin' kids at 7am, can't lie in bed feeling sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I find sleep is a big factor. I could drink little and get no sleep and be more hungover than if I had drank a lot but gotten loads if skeep.

Nothing like a carby wedge roll or a sub for hangover food :)

Generally find drinking not worth the hangover though. Few joints instead ;) having much more fun consuming less amount of calories that would be in the drink, even if you get terrible. Munchies!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

does anyone else not sleep for a few days after a particularly bad binge weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Spent days dying on the couch where I never left the house and didn't get up until 3 - and when I did get up I ate crap all day and then went and ate crap food - as did the rest of them (in my gang anyway)....

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Of course they get worse as you hit your 30's & beyond. I did sessions in my 20's and followed through with work the next day (sometimes with as little as no sleep or maybe a couple hours sleep) No chance I could do that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

They do get worse, but i think generally people also drink a lot more as well as they get older.

It was always a nagen of vodka and 2 cans when i first started of at about 15, and it has been on the increase ever since (currently consuming 3 shoulders and vodka and 15 cans a night).

Sometimes i get away with it - i can wake up after a heavy session and actually feel ok, but usually i just get extremely depressed and negative about everything.

I also have trouble going home after a night out, i can never just go home to bed i always try to find a party to continue drinking into the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I was able to drink anything years ago.

Now I get hangovers after drinking a glass of coke.

Ok not exactly a hangover from drinking coke but I do get migraines now from all sorts, alcohol, fizzy drinks, diluted drinks like mi wadi. Those migraines are a hundred times worse than being hungover.

The last time I drank, I had one bottle of miller and I spent the whole day after vomiting. Think it was more migraine related cause I was able for that years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I drink more now and i haven't had a hangover in over a decade.
    Only thing i do is make sure i eat well before hand and often while drinking.
    A pint of water before sleep kills off any threat of a hangover at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    They do get worse.

You can speak for yourself - not everyone has the same reaction as you do when approaching middle and old age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I was able to drink anything years ago.

Now I get hangovers after drinking a glass of coke.

Ok not exactly a hangover from drinking coke but I do get migraines now from all sorts, alcohol, fizzy drinks, diluted drinks like mi wadi. Those migraines are a hundred times worse than being hungover.

The last time I drank, I had one bottle of miller and I spent the whole day after vomiting. Think it was more migraine related cause I was able for that years ago.

You certainly live up to your name girl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

And the comedowns...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

in my 40's and i cant say they get worse TBH,

But i do get SUPER horny with a hang over :D - I love my Sunday F1 / fry up / ride hang overs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Hello. My name is mick, and i'm an alcoholic. (applause).

Yep, i have to agree that hangovers get worse the older you get because i never used to get hangovers as bad as i do now. Definitely gets worse with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Sergeant wrote: »
    The arrogance of youth. Hangovers do get worse as you get older. They move from a mere sick stomach, headache and lethargy to something much more profound. The uncertainty, the doubt, the crisis of the soul, the terrible wave of pitch black depression that overcomes you after you drink more than a dozen pints on a Friday or Saturday night. A bad hangover can last until the following Thursday.

If I need advice on how to clear a breakout of acne, then I'll speak to someone under the age of 25. If I need support to overcome a really bad hangover, then I'll speak to someone over the age of 30 who truly understands the trauma I'm going through.

This ^^^

Went through 2 such episodes very recently, one was a few weeks ago after a football weekend so a lot of drink taken on the saturday and sunday nights. Monday I was hungover, Tuesday I was an inconsolable heap that had just f**ked his life up because I had a dissertation hand in due on the Friday (don't let that fool you, I'm in my early thirties), this depression and lack of sleep continued 'til at least Thursday - It didn't help that the 'off the ball' drama was that week, the small things are magnified x 1,000 when you're in the grips of a spiritual and existential funk brought on by the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I started drinking I got the mother of all hangovers,then in my 30,s I chilled out a bit and even had a few hair of the dog,then in my forties they came back with a huge bang,absolutely dying and promising all and sundry I would never drink again.Your body and mind is just not able for it anymore and before you know it your life is falling apart.

ps 100% sergeant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Sergeant wrote: »
    The arrogance of youth. Hangovers do get worse as you get older. They move from a mere sick stomach, headache and lethargy to something much more profound. The uncertainty, the doubt, the crisis of the soul, the terrible wave of pitch black depression that overcomes you after you drink more than a dozen pints on a Friday or Saturday night. A bad hangover can last until the following Thursday.

I had all this as a hungover 17-year-old. I'm 29 now and my hangovers haven't got worse since then. But then, I've always got terrible ones so there's nowhere to fall from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I would say they certainly do get worse though I think you are capable of drinking a lot more too which could have something to do with it. Often take an extra day to get over too.
    I do notice that if im very fit and drinking twice a week I tend to get next to nothing hangover wise. Not often very fit so a bit of a mute point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

You have a SUCCESSFULLY big head

Advertisement