Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hangovers are worse as you get older

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭

I think this is bullshit

I think you are just less willing to put yourself through such torture. I recall, when I first had a proper job in my early twenties that hangovers could last until thursday, and after swearing off the drink all week you began to feel good just as the next weekend approached.

Spent days dying on the couch where I never left the house and didn't get up until 3 - and when I did get up I ate crap all day and then went and ate crap food - as did the rest of them (in my gang anyway).

Now - I do have good nights out, last night being one of them where I drank until 5 which is kinda rare these days admittedly - would just go home at 3 when everything is close.
    This is a good difference in itself, weekends a few years ago involved 24/48 hour sessions - putting your body through hell really.

But I still party hard when I want, as do all my buddies, but still have enough pep for a game of golf in the morning because I eat a nutritious breakfast a don't drink until it becomes bright.

I'm very successful right now so I would urge the posters here to take a leaf out of my book, you might be a better people as a result :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Hangovers are worse as you get older

Not really
    You just know you can drink a lot more therefore suffer more :)
    I don't get hangovers
    I get hangarounds and then blame everyone else because I'm suffering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

tbh its the waste of money that pisses me off when I get drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Never understood why people complain about hangovers so much given they're so easily avoidable. Do people really not prepare themselves? And no, of course they don't get worse as you get older, that's just bollocks. But avoidance is the key, fatty foods, lots of water etc...can't go wrong!

http://www.thehealthsphere.com/wp/?p=8298

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think this is bullshit

I think you are just less willing to put yourself through such torture. I recall, when I first had a proper job in my early twenties that hangovers could last until thursday, and after swearing off the drink all week you began to feel good just as the next weekend approached.

Spent days dying on the couch where I never left the house and didn't get up until 3 - and when I did get up I ate crap all day and then went and ate crap food - as did the rest of them (in my gang anyway).

Now - I do have good nights out, last night being one of them where I drank until 5 which is kinda rare these days admittedly - would just go home at 3 when everything is close.
    This is a good difference in itself, weekends a few years ago involved 24/48 hour sessions - putting your body through hell really.

But I still party hard when I want, as do all my buddies, but still have enough pep for a game of golf in the morning because I eat a nutritious breakfast a don't drink until it becomes bright.

I'm very successful right now so I would urge the posters here to take a leaf out of my book, you might be a better people as a result :)

I choose not to believe this part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Just drink every four hours that'll put an end to hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

sometimes I feel like I need a blood transfusion else Im drunk for like a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

I am rich now. It wasn't rocket science, just a re-direction of effort.

Now I am going to bed to wake up to earn more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You rope me in with with a decent topic in the thread title only for you to needlessly state that you're "successful" at the end of the op.

I'm out of here.

Judging from this post, looks like you'll have a pretty bad hangover when you wake up. Hope you drank a litre of water beforehand though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Just drink 3-4 glasses of water before you go to bed to dissolve the alcohol and prevent dehydration next day, thus no hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think this is bullshit

I think....
    Didn't read much after the 2nd "I think"

scrolled dow tho the bottom..

What are you succesful at? Saving whales? Saving Wildlife in General?
    A football player?
    Rugby/Formula 1/Basket making/lecturing?

What would we be better people at?

Telling people to copy us?

I'm very successful, not just right now.. But in General... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

We're not drunk, we're multi-millionaires..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aherringterm

Take a leaf out of your book for what? The only thing that happened to you was you got older... Sickner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Christ on a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

How's the hangover?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 herbytosh

drunk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I think this is bullshit

I recall, when I first had a proper job in my early twenties that hangovers could last until thursday, and after swearing off the drink all week you began to feel good just as the next weekend approached.

you had a proper job and spent days on the couch??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Everything gets worse as you get older for everyone else but not me.

I'm great.

I think I should get both of the parachutes just in case one of them doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I just drew a picture of myself in the nip with the dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never understood why people complain about hangovers so much given they're so easily avoidable. Do people really not prepare themselves? And no, of course they don't get worse as you get older, that's just bollocks. But avoidance is the key, fatty foods, lots of water etc...can't go wrong!
    Preparation isn't reliable. It's possible to prep, eat plenty of food, drink loads of water and still wake up feeling like a camel's arse.

The only thing I've found to be consistent is the application of the cure, which consists of lots of starchy food, water, coffee, and trips to the toilet.

I don't think hangover necessarily get worse when you get older, you just drink more and less often. I remember when I first started drinking at 15/16 hangovers always involved puking, but you were right as rain by 10am. But then, you probably only had 4 cans the night before.
    At 21, hangover could easily last till 3pm, but you only got out of bed at 2pm and you might be on day 2 of a 3-day binge, so the hangovers are never that bad.
    When you hit your late twenties, you're only doing heavy drinking once every couple of weeks and you're getting out of bed before 11am. So your hangovers appear to hit you harder and last way longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

WumBuster wrote: »
    Just drink 3-4 glasses of water before you go to bed to dissolve the alcohol and prevent dehydration next day, thus no hangovers.

Be prepared to piss the bed though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Haveadayoff

You might be right but t hats not gonna stop me from drinkin lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its hard to get some peace and quiet to deal with a hangover when you are older

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

seamus wrote: »
    When you hit your late twenties, you're only doing heavy drinking once every couple of weeks and you're getting out of bed before 11am. So your hangovers appear to hit you harder and last way longer.

Speak for yourself, I'm 32 now and just getting worse and worse with booze as I descend lower into nihilism and one big existentialist nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The arrogance of youth. Hangovers do get worse as you get older. They move from a mere sick stomach, headache and lethargy to something much more profound. The uncertainty, the doubt, the crisis of the soul, the terrible wave of pitch black depression that overcomes you after you drink more than a dozen pints on a Friday or Saturday night. A bad hangover can last until the following Thursday.

If I need advice on how to clear a breakout of acne, then I'll speak to someone under the age of 25. If I need support to overcome a really bad hangover, then I'll speak to someone over the age of 30 who truly understands the trauma I'm going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The word '' naïve '' and the term '' sheltered life '' spring to mind OP .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

3 years ago i was able to start drinking about 6 in the evening, keep going til 4am and be back in work for 7am; 4 or 5 nights a week.
    i started drinking at 3 on paddys day and went home at 1 or 2 that night and paid for it for 2 days

it definitely gets worse as you get older

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Preparation isn't reliable. It's possible to prep, eat plenty of food, drink loads of water and still wake up feeling like a camel's arse.

Well, prepping also includes what types of drink you might have given that some drinks are more likely to give you a hangover, such as red wine. But, of course, all of this goes out the window if you're going to binge from 6pm to 4am, but I'm not referring to those folks.

For many people, prepping beforehand is a very useful tool and while you might still wake up feeling like sh1t, it may well have been abated by the prepping done beforehand. I wouldn't knock it so readily.

I agree with the rest of your post though OP.

Advertisement