Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ah Barrera, one of my favourite fighters ever. Will check it out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hughie is out. Must be pulling a Tommy Fumbles on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

And even thats when the fight actually goes ahead!

Good article in Ring Magazine discussing Beterbiev/Smith

19-1 the analysts are picking in favor of Beterbiev...pretty much all picking Beterbiev via KO/TKO

Sergio Mora, TV analyst and former JMW champion is picking Smith TKO 9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Very naïve from Smith tonight in what was a murder.

Beterbiev v Bivol next please, no interest in Beterbiev hammering Yarde at all.

• Advertisement

Joe had no defence and no survival skills last night. Beterbiev looked mean, sharp and very sturdy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very impressive by Beterbiev, but Smith's reckless aggression really worked against him. The shorter, sharper, far more precise punching of Beterbiev meant Smith literally walked into punches as he was throwing his own much wider ones.

I suppose the thinking was to push Beterbiev back as a lot of aggressive boxers are way less effective when pushed back, but you can't just walk straignt in with no thoughts for defense.

Let’s see Bivol/Beterbiev next, or even Canelo/Beterbiev. Two cracking match ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

surely a terrible matchup for Canelo considering how he struggled badly against Bivol?

Styles make fights.

Canelo would do better against Beterbiev than he did against Bivol in my opinion.

Bivol's exceptionally quick feet and discipline in terms of only fighting on the outside throwing quick, straight punches is a nightmare for a smaller, slow-on-his-feet opponent like Canelo.

On the other hand, he won't have to go looking for Beterbiev. He'll be right in front of him. Despite Beterbiev's physical strength, it's a much better style matchup for Canelo.

• Advertisement

I had replied earlier to this and forgot to post, and pretty much all mega said, I say. Beterbiev and Bivol cannot really be used v Canelo to accurately compare. Bivol is long and rangy and in and out…Beterbiev is there…

I think Canelo's bigest issue vs Beterbiev is that Beterbiev is clearly bigger, very sturdy/strong and fit, and will set a hard pace

He also has heavy hands that Canelo cannot just ignore. Canelo's work-rate/stamina is not that good, really. It's fine when he is dictating the pace and flow, but against someone that will just go and go, and with heavy hands and stamina and strength, Canelo could be in trouble.

I was backing Canelo months and months ago, but judging from his last couple showings vs Beterbiev's showings, I am far less sure that Canelo wins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yeah I think Beterbiev is just too naturally big and strong for Canelo as well as being well skilled and a very hard puncher. Beterbiev fought as a heavyweight in the Amateurs. I can't see Canelo giving him a lot of trouble. Canelo's only good result at LHW is against a washed up and Gun shy Kovalev.

I feel like his size will still be an issue even if Canelo tries to stand and throw. Bivols size definitely allowed him to defend against Canelo a lot easier, it’ll probably stand to Beterbiev too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walshb will be glad to know two titans of the sport are finally going head to head.

Jake the juggernaut Paul v Tremendous Tommy Fury on Aug 6. 😁

Was waiting for someone to post this.

I’ll wait till they’re actually in the ring, as late July is an awful bitch for the owl hay fever; and Fumbles has form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Couldn't find a thread, that's some scrap on sky sports there now. Cheema and greener I think

Rodriguez made a serious statement with that win. Not just winning, but stopping an opponent as tough as that was hugely impressive.

Akhmadaliev is a fighter I really enjoy watching. I think his jab might just be one of the hardest I've ever seen. Just a really, really good all-rounder. With his take-on-allcomers attitude he could feature in very interesting bouts with possibly Fulton, Inoue, etc.

Is Fumbles something people actually call him?

Looks like this won't happen now. Tommy denied entry to the USA

• Advertisement

Saw that. Makes sense now. Of course he signed to fight, knowing he wasn’t gaining entry. These two plebs won’t ever fight. Fumbles knows there’s a strong chance he loses!!!

Not sure...I assume because Tyson and his crew are/were linked.....both being brothers....?

I see Breidis just lost his Cruiserweight title in Australia. Huge upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭squinn2912

talk of Wardley fighting Gorman next for the British title. For me Gorman wins that at this stage

Cracking fight between Billam-Smith and Chamberlain on Sky Sports now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

Conlon on tomorrow. Be interesting to see how he operates? I think he could be in for a hard night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

Doesn’t seem to be the same hype as previous years.

I’ve had my doubts about Conlon for a while now and I thought he would be beaten by Wood.

Despite his excellent amateur pedigree, I feel like he’s never progressed in the pro ranks. His chin has always been suspect as well IMO, and I think his heart might be gone as well after the Wood fight. All the talk of becoming world champ etc, and then getting beaten by a less than genuine world champ in Wood, while his amateur rival Stevenson goes from strength to strength and makes it all look easy. That could deflate him and play on his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Looking forward to it. Tough fight to take and seems a big call to come back so quick from such a huge KO defeat. Definitely upset potential but you have to respect his ambition to take on another challenge I suppose. Reckon he'll come through it on points. He's a mentally strong guy Conlan and I'm not sure I buy the chin concerns. He took some big shots from Wood in that fight very well. Final shot likely a mix of a great timed shot he didn't see and fatigue I'd think. I'd still back Conlan to beat Wood in a rematch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

What channel is this on guys?

Advertisement