Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,

She was good in the first Matrix movie, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

murpho999 wrote: »
    also interviewing priests when something bad happens in a vilage (which they often refer to as a parish).

It's a reflectoin of the old Ireland that we should leave behind.

That's what it is, it's a parish. If you think parish is an old fashioned term then you'll be waiting many decades if ever for it to die out.

It determines what your nearest school is, what GAA team you play for and more.

What should we call it? :confused:

And if there is news like a road death or a murder and the media want someone with local knowledge then the priest is the perfect person.
    Or the postmisstress or the school principal, just the priest will be available and is well used to talking

Better the priest then the local county councillor trying to boost their profile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously, who does this? Who actually pauses for the day to self-reflect?

Either, way if you do, that's your own business.

It should not be rammed down our throats by the state broadcaster.

Station has a very catholic agenda. Sending Bryan Dobson to Rome recently for new pope.
    Giving air time to Desmond Connell, Brian Darcy and that pseudo priest David Quinn regulary and also interviewing priests when something bad happens in a vilage (which they often refer to as a parish).

It's a reflectoin of the old Ireland that we should leave behind.

Your arguments lose all meaning when you use tired hackneyed clichés.

As for RTÉ's very catholic agenda, perhaps you should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_to_Prey . Just because you want to see bias doesn't mean there is bias.

Anyway this old chestnut resurfaces, how many times have we had this specific topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just curious as to why you've such an issue with the angelus being played for 60 seconds a day yet seem to have no issue with the like of 'Songs of Praise' etc... :)

Songs of Praise has nothing to do with this topic, as it does not occupy the first sixty seconds of the Six O'Clock news every day!

At six O'Clock it would be nice to get the news headlines at six, instead of having to change channels for the news headlines on all other channels - only to switch back to RTE One, after the bells have bonged away for a whole minute . . .

I find the Angelus more of a nuisance than anything, plus the fact that it presumes everybody is RC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

LordSutch wrote: »
    Songs of Praise has nothing to do with this topic, as it does not occupy the first sixty seconds of the Six O'Clock news every day!

At six O'Clock it would be nice to get the news headlines on RTE, instead of having to change channels for the news headlines at six, only to switch back to RTE One after the bells have bonged away.

I find the Angelus more of a nusance more than anything, plus the fact that it presumes everybody is RC.

I believe RTE News quite like it because it allows people to have a look at the headlines over on BBC before switching back to RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This Angelus sounds better than the original imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

They should donate 60 second tributes to the likes of Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton. You know, people who have actually made our lives better and improved our understanding of the world around us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i loved the spoof of it after bruce almighty in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Zero1986 wrote: »
    They should donate 60 second tributes to the likes of Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton. You know, people who have actually made our lives better and improved our understanding of the world around us.

The dongs might be preferable to a 60 second science lesson.:p

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The dongs might be preferable to a 60 second science lesson.:p
    Why not? Science is wonderful ;)

Doesn't have to be science-related though, you could dedicate it to other inspirational people like Nelson Mandela, even Mother Teresa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Listning to it now, sure its a great tune :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why not? Science is wonderful ;)

Doesn't have to be science-related though, you could dedicate it to other inspirational people like Nelson Mandela, even Mother Teresa.

Wouldn't be popular on here, as she's already been torn to shreds.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Mother Teresa.

God love 'er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The atomic bomb has great improved my life.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The atomic bomb has great improved my life.:rolleyes:

Because the Atomic Bomb is all that Einstein is remembered for or all that he contributed.

ejmaztec wrote: »

Wouldn't be popular on here, as she's already been torn to shreds.:eek:
    I know but it would keep the God lovers from complaining too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Anyway this old chestnut resurfaces, how many times have we had this specific topic?

I'm sorry if the topic has been done before but just because a topic has been done on boards before doesn't mean it can't be done again. I'm not going to search for topics done since the inception of boards before I post something that I think is worthy of discussion.

If it has been done umpteen times then it's obviously an issue people feel strongly about and want to discuss.

The fact that it has been done before does not negate the possibility that it can be discussed again and that alone cannot be used as an argumentative retort to somehow diminish someone else's argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm not Catholic, but it doesnt bother me at all. I've more important things to be worrying about than 50 seconds of noise that doesnt affect me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bong.........

Bong.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Archeron wrote: »

Bong.....

Bong....

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Anyone remember when television wasn't broadcast through the night and it used to close with the National Anthem. I was a guest in a house one time and when the Anthem came on everybody stood to attention. I taught it was hilarious, I wonder how many families all stand still and say the Angelus now because I remember a time when this was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

padma wrote: »
    I do see it as a minute reflection for the day, to just stop, let go all the stress of daily life and have at least one minute of the day where we aren't being bombarded with busyness.
    When ever I feel the need to reflect on things, I always put on my tape of a bell going "boonnngg.... boonnngg.... boonnngg", really helps to clear my mind.
    mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Anyone remember when television wasn't broadcast through the night and it used to close with the National Anthem.
    I used to like A Prayer At Bedtime, do they still do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'm an atheist and I have no issue with it. In fact, I actually kind of like it. Just one of those small things that helps distinguish us from another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Auld biddies love it as much as bingo on a Monday night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's handy because you can get the UK news headlines, then flip back to RTE to get the Irish headlines and decide which to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm an atheist and I have no issue with it. In fact, I actually kind of like it. Just one of those small things that helps distinguish us from another country.

Distinguish us in a bad light I would say. A state broadcaster should not align itself with a particular religion. We are not living under canon law, presbyterian law, shariah law, hindi law et al. We should not be paying a tax for our broadcaster to promote Catholicism. That's not to say I would prefer it to promote any other faith...there is intrinsic bias. As for people saying it distinguishes us...Italy, Germany, Philippines and Mexico supposedly have it as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus#Modern_usage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Haveadayoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygKBIJ6vLI0

This is da only ANGELUS I listen to lol.

Advertisement