Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPG question

Options
  • 23-03-2013 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Recent convert to WoT, thanks to the wonderful videos by The Cheiftan.

Have a nice mix of cruisers, light tanks, mediums TDs and an SPG.
    Figured out the rest, but can't seem to hit anything with an SPG. What's the secret? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Define not able to hit? Are you going into arty mode or trying to shot directly? Also keep in mind my average hit ratio was around mid 70s in tanks but only mod 30s in SPGs simply because you're hitting less (but has higher splash range which don't count as a hit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I'm not sure to be honest. How do I know if I'm in arty mode? I can see the shot falling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm not sure to be honest. How do I know if I'm in arty mode? I can see the shot falling.

You mean you're not viewing the world from a top down view?

Definitely not!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Press shift then, it'll change things.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Press shift then, it'll change things.

My god! I have found what I was put on this earth to do. Bring Iron rain!

Thank you kindly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

My god! I have found what I was put on this earth to do. Bring Iron rain!

Thank you kindly.
    Only remember that your tracers can be seen so get into the habit of fire, move, fire move, or you'll get countered by other arties :)

Not if I get them all first....or the other arty are n00bz too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When I started it took me three games to realize that shift did something too :p

Bison, f'ck the haters. Patient hunter ftw. Very patient.....

ED E wrote: »
    When I started it took me three games to realize that shift did something too :p

Bison, f'ck the haters. Patient hunter ftw. Very patient.....
    I found it out; used it, forgot about it as I did not play SPG for half a year and then started playing with out it wondering why I had enjoyed SPGs before as they sucked :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lol i was the same when beta came out. driving around missing everything wondering why!! 'E' on keyboard also swaps between views, easier when ur firing then moving.

when driving my normal tanks and TD's i curse the opposing arty, but theyre so much fun!

sold my gw tiger and swapped for the obj 212 few weeks ago, much better spg imo.. although i preferred the gwp to the s51 at tier 6.

enjoying the french spgs, have the tier 6 unlocked but not bought yet. no creds.

seeing the batchat arty in action is insane...

Rolling around in my TOGII* I'm beginning to hate arty :P

I made the mistake of buying a horrible M37 earlier on. Couldn't win anything to upgrade it, had to sell and get a beautiful Bison instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the M41 is a beast, stick with it.

the M41 is a beast, stick with it.
    I hated it and the whole American line of SPGs to be honest; with all nerfs to splash and accuracy they simply became to much of a gamble for my taste :/

Bison all the way.

Love mine! Ignore my shoddy overall W:L.

p4yW7df.jpg
    0w6U8EI.png

Nody wrote: »
    I hated it and the whole American line of SPGs to be honest; with all nerfs to splash and accuracy they simply became to much of a gamble for my taste :/

I only recently restarted, hadnt got many high tier tanks at all, but i had the m41, first game back in and i managed to get a top gun medal with 6 kills. I didn't know there was any nerfs to splash damage at all, been using stock shells all the way. Which line of spg would you recommend? I was thinking of just plough through the yanks anyway and make a set as i have a pershing med and a t1 lol

I only recently restarted, hadnt got many high tier tanks at all, but i had the m41, first game back in and i managed to get a top gun medal with 6 kills. I didn't know there was any nerfs to splash damage at all, been using stock shells all the way. Which line of spg would you recommend? I was thinking of just plough through the yanks anyway and make a set as i have a pershing med and a t1 lol
    French has the combo of being best in CW (due to their clip) and being fastest to relocate so that would be my vote :)

that'd mean levelling up a whole new line from scratch though :/ screw it, there's not much else going on in the gaming world for me atm either, i might give it a shot. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Whats CW?

ED E wrote: »
    Whats CW?

Clan Wars.

french shells seem incredibly weak compared to the yanks, up to tier 4 (amx 105?) and just cba anymore lol

fast yeah, lots of shells, yeah.. pity they direct hit for almost nothing :/
    Think i'll stick with the american line for spg's

french shells seem incredibly weak compared to the yanks, up to tier 4 (amx 105?) and just cba anymore lol

fast yeah, lots of shells, yeah.. pity they direct hit for almost nothing :/
    Think i'll stick with the american line for spg's
    Problem is once you hit T6 you do poor damage (imo); then you hit T7 with the new big gun and while you do nice enough damage/splash the reload is insane (talking making the 212 look fast!). Once you hit the T92 you're looking at 40s reload with everything which is great if you hit but makes it painfully slow to be able to support (as you're waiting to reload) while your buddy in the French arty throws out shells like candy :(

i dont mind the reload time on the american spg's, using the tier 6 m12 with stock cannon, it's pig slow but it's doing the kind of damage i've been doing with the m41 too, just slower. To each their own though, i just prefer a strong punch rather than many weaker ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the french tier 5 arty is class, having played german and russian tier5 before, nice to see soemthing better than hummel.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

as if we need more arty... :-\

B0rG wrote: »
    as if we need more arty... :-\

If it makes you feel any better, I have 8500 matches, but not a single one of which is in arty.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

Spear wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, I have 8500 matches, but not a single one of which is in arty.

It does :)

but the newcomers are lured into the wrong ways of sipping tea in the bushes and throwing heavy objects right across the map. This aint right :)

• Advertisement

B0rG wrote: »
    It does :)

but the newcomers are lured into the wrong ways of sipping tea in the bushes and throwing heavy objects right across the map. This aint right :)

that made me laugh.

Advertisement