Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse Chocolate truffle stout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was just thinking about this, seems like too long since last year.

such a beautiful beverage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    They do it every year: bring in lots of guest beers from other Irish breweries. They say there'll be tastings as well in the different pubs at different times.

Ah great.

I dreamed I had a pint of this last night. Perhaps I sensed its arrival.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    €4.60 for the chocolate stout in PH Temple bar. Very reasonable.
    One year on: €4.90 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

I was in Bray yesterday afternoon and popped down to the Porterhouse there too see had they the truffle stout but the place was closed. This was just after 3 o clock. Does it open late during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I hope so, I was down there passing on Sunday and it was open so perhaps they just open later than most on weekdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chocolate syrup ickiness :eek::eek:
    One of those taster glasses that they do is as much as I can drink of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Went to see Sean Hughes in the Project last night and popped into a Porterhouse before and after to sample the chocolate stout. Had three pints, and it wasn't remotely sickening. Not too wise to follow on from an Amber Ella though - bit of a flavour clash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Lads....
    I love this beer. Liquid chocolate. Very nice.
    It's actually quite a light stout underneath it imo. Stick it on nitro with choc and it's a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Bah, forgot about it today, will have to get some tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Is it available to buy in any off license/supermarket ?
    (I'm in Galway)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Chocolate syrup ickiness :eek::eek:
    One of those taster glasses that they do is as much as I can drink of it.

Very much agree. Ordered a pint of it, reminds me very much of Young's Double Chocolate or Saltaire Triple Chocoholic. ie. it tastes like a regular stout with a load of chocolate syrup throw into it. Really not the sort of beer you could have more than one of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Do they change the recipe or something?

D Trent wrote: »
    Is it available to buy in any off license/supermarket ?
    (I'm in Galway)
    No, it's draught only.

Do they change the recipe or something?

No idea but either that or my tastes have changed and I no longer like sweet stouts or whatever.

It's not bad or anything, it's just very sweet and chocolatey in a dairy milk kind of way.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Very much agree. Ordered a pint of it, reminds me very much of Young's Double Chocolate or Saltaire Triple Chocoholic. ie. it tastes like a regular stout with a load of chocolate syrup throw into it. Really not the sort of beer you could have more than one of.

I beg to differ. It's got more of a cocoa taste, and doesn't taste syrupy at all. I had three pints of the stuff in the one evening, but I've been going through a bit of a chocolate stout safari recently, with a view towards the next homebrew project (a milk stout with cocoa nibs and vanilla extract).

alastair wrote: »
    I beg to differ. It's got more of a cocoa taste, and doesn't taste syrupy at all. I had three pints of the stuff in the one evening, but I've been going through a bit of a chocolate stout safari recently, with a view towards the next homebrew project (a milk stout with cocoa nibs and vanilla extract).

As far as chocolate stouts go I'm very much w Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout kind of man. But sure tastes differ and all that. I don't think it's as sweet as last years but it's still very sweet.

As far as chocolate stouts go I'm very much w Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout kind of man.
    So... ones that don't contain any chocolate, then :)

BeerNut wrote: »
    So... ones that don't contain any chocolate, then :)

More ones that are not overly sweet and taste like cheap milk chocolate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

No idea but either that or my tastes have changed and I no longer like sweet stouts or whatever.

It's not bad or anything, it's just very sweet and chocolatey in a dairy milk kind of way.

You may need your taste buds calibrated. No way is it 'dairy milk'

dark chocolate territory ...

my friend wrote: »
    You may need your taste buds calibrated. No way is it 'dairy milk'

dark chocolate territory ...

I don't agree, at all, it's very sweet. Last years was sweeter, but this years is still very sweet. There's a bit of roastyness in it that must be an attempt to counter that sweetness but it just doesn't do it.

I drank a pint and was happy enough with that but I wouldn't buy another pint and if I bought it again, I'd buy a glass.

Of PH's stouts on tap I think it's the weakest, I'd rather a plain, wrasslers of oyster over it any day, but as I said, it's not a bad beer, it's just very sweet.

And I'm not the only one to say so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I don't agree, at all, it's very sweet. Last years was sweeter, but this years is still very sweet. There's a bit of roastyness in it that must be an attempt to counter that sweetness but it just doesn't do it.

I drank a pint and was happy enough with that but I wouldn't buy another pint and if I bought it again, I'd buy a glass.

Of PH's stouts on tap I think it's the weakest, I'd rather a plain, wrasslers of oyster over it any day, but as I said, it's not a bad beer, it's just very sweet.

And I'm not the only one to say so.

You stated ' dairy milk '

Despite your lengthy attempt to rebut you're still wrong.

It's okay, nobodies perfect , not even you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd have always thought it was more along the "dairy milk" line but with a distinct cocoa taste, rather than syrup. The smell off it was lovely too. Really hope I'm down in Dublin soon to get a pint.

my friend wrote: »
    You stated ' dairy milk '

Despite your lengthy attempt to rebut you're still wrong.

It's okay, nobodies perfect , not even you.

Yeah, dairy milk, cheap milk chocolate, I stand by it.

I also said it reminds me of Young's Double Chocolate or Solitaire's Triple Chocoholic, I stand by that too, the three of them have that dairy milk taste to them.
    PH's version is better than the other two but it's still very, very sweet.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd have always thought it was more along the "dairy milk" line but with a distinct cocoa taste, rather than syrup. The smell off it was lovely too. Really hope I'm down in Dublin soon to get a pint.

It does smell great, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Yeah, dairy milk, cheap milk chocolate, I stand by it.

I also said it reminds me of Young's Double Chocolate or Solitaire's Triple Chocoholic, I stand by that too, the three of them have that dairy milk taste to them.
    PH's version is better than the other two but it's still very, very sweet.

Really that sweet?
    Funny enough, I've never found it too sweet at all, no sweeter than their other stouts anyway.
    Are you sure you are not perceiving it as sweet because of the big chocolate aroma combined with the nitro poor?

I have to say, I love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Had a pint last year and would agree it was more like dairy milk than dark chocolate. I enjoyed it, but would only have the 1, same as if I was starving I would only eat 1 or 2 creme eggs, far too rich tasting or something.

slayerking wrote: »
    Really that sweet?
    Funny enough, I've never found it too sweet at all, no sweeter than their other stouts anyway.
    Are you sure you are not perceiving it as sweet because of the big chocolate aroma combined with the nitro poor?

I have to say, I love the stuff.

Really don't think so tbh. I just find it very sweet. I wouldn't be a massive fan of milk chocolate in chocolate form either though so maybe I'm being prejudiced by that or something?
    Like I said, it's a fine beer and PH make very good stouts in general (they made what I believe is the best stout the country has ever produced in their barrel aged celebration a few years back) but this particular stout just isn't to my tastes.

I would gladly enjoy it again, but again, I wouldn't be able to drink a lot of it.

rubadub wrote: »
    Had a pint last year and would agree it was more like dairy milk than dark chocolate. I enjoyed it, but would only have the 1, same as if I was starving I would only eat 1 or 2 creme eggs, far too rich tasting or something.

Well, I don't think this years is as sweet as last years, or at least the roastyness is more obvious which claws it back a bit, or tries to anyway. But yeah, very sweet.

More ones that are not overly sweet and taste like cheap milk chocolate.

Kinda hard to resolve this with your claim that you enjoyed the pint.

I had a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout yesterday for comparison's sake. Very enjoyable, remarkable dark chocolate notes for a beer devoid of chocolate, but no less sweet tasting than the Porterhouse Truffle to me (as in nowhere near overly sweet). The Porterhouse beer is certainly not for those who want dark chocolate flavours, it's all about cocoa notes following on from the initial roasty bitterness, but overly sweet and cheap don't really come to mind. My only issue with the beer is mouthfeel. It's a little too light - more so then say Buried at Sea, or Rogue's chocolate stout.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Kinda hard to resolve this with your claim that you enjoyed the pint.

I'd enjoy it (again) the same way I'd enjoy a square or two or dairy milk (aka cheap milk chocolate), by having a little and moving on to something else.

As I said earlier, I'm not a massive fan of milk chocolate, but I don't hate the stuff, I'd gladly take a square of it if offered, would find it hard to eat a whole bar though.
    My feelings in regards to PH's Chocolate stout (and Youngs double or Solitaire's triple) are much the same.

Advertisement