Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse Chocolate truffle stout

Options
  • 23-03-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey does anyone know if this available yet?? Need my yearly fix!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

I asked on there face book page and they said its due in possibly this weekend, if not definately by easter. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

MrGee wrote: »
    I asked on there face book page and they said its due in possibly this weekend, if not definately by easter. Looking forward to it

Cool heading in to the porterhouse in cork later hopefully they might have some. If not ill wait until next week!! Thanks for the reply I'm not on fb!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I wonder how it will live up to the name. Breweries seem to be escalating the chocolate stout style with more suggestive names. Sounds luxurious but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an entirely average beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I wonder how it will live up to the name. Breweries seem to be escalating the chocolate stout style with more suggestive names. Sounds luxurious but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an entirely average beer.

The beer is nothing new. It has been around for a number of years as a Spring seasonal.

It's fairly in your face with the chocolate flavour. If you want a benchmark it has more chocolate flavour than Young's Double chocolate stout. I like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It definitely lives up to the name, they make it every year around easter, far more chocolatly than the youngs double chocolate or brooklyn black chocolate.

Lovely beer but you wouldn't drink too many of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

In fairness, the Porterhouse are pretty decent at stouts. Wrasslers and Oyster are both excellent, although I find the plain quite plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

will it be bottled or just in the pub?

ronano wrote: »
    will it be bottled or just in the pub?

Usually just on tap in the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Seaneh wrote: »
    It definitely lives up to the name, they make it every year around easter, far more chocolatly than the youngs double chocolate or brooklyn black chocolate.

Lovely beer but you wouldn't drink too many of them.

I think it's one of the nicest chocolate stouts available and I always look forward to them getting it back. Nice as it is though, I agree that you wouldn't have more than a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Yesss... One of the best chocolate stouts going IMO!!
    Its like a pint of chocolate mousse!

One of the few beers that really works on the nitro also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can someone post as soon as they spot it about?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Those who have not tried this may like to know that it's a slightly drier and less overly sweet chocolate taste than some of the bottled variants. It's definitely worth a try, even if you are not a regular stout drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Can someone post as soon as they spot it about?

Thanks. :)

Ok was in Porterhouse Cork last night and the barman assured me he would have it in by the weekend!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The beer is nothing new. It has been around for a number of years as a Spring seasonal.

There you go - I stand corrected. Might pop in for one during the week then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I don't think it was available last year? Remember reading here a thread about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It was definitely around last year, but hadn't been the two years previous.

Aye, had a few pints of it in Temple Bar easter long weekend with a friend before heading across the bridge to The Black Sheep and Mulligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had a pint last year, had been asking for it several times before that and never had it. Lovely stuff, but only managed the 1, proper atein' n drinkin' in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Wasnt in central yesterday!

Anyone had it in North yet? I'll probably be there tomorrow evening and would like to try one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Got my hopes up today as the taps are ready in Parliament Street but it won't be in til Tuesday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Can't wait for this. I love a lot of stout variants but am particularly fond of dry stout (call it loyalty!), and this for me is a bit of a treat that I really look forward to. I'd heartily recommend trying a pint if you're anyway keen on stout. Think I'll do a cheeky pint next Tuesday :)

I tried it in Porterhouse North tonight. It´s definitely a nice stout and the chocolate taste is quite overt. I wonder how they achieve it - could it be some kind of essence or does most of it come from the malt? I wouldn´t call it a session beer though. I found the second half of the pint a little heavier going but it was a nice treat. My OH agreed but found her glass to be just enough.

I tried it in Porterhouse North tonight. It´s definitely a nice stout and the chocolate taste is quite overt. I wonder how they achieve it - could it be some kind of essence or does most of it come from the malt? I wouldn´t call it a session beer though. I found the second half of the pint a little heavier going but it was a nice treat. My OH agreed but found her glass to be just enough.

It's all the malt, maybe some cocoa-nibs, no essences or artificial sweeteners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

It's all the malt, maybe some cocoa-nibs, no essences or artificial sweeteners.

No way is it all malt. Malt will only give a subtle chocolate flavour like you get in Dark Arts or Clotworthy Dobbin.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    No way is it all malt. Malt will only give a subtle chocolate flavour like you get in Dark Arts or Clotworthy Dobbin.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has nothing but Malt, barley , Hops, Yeast and Water in it and is insanely chocolately.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has nothing but Malt, barley , Hops, Yeast and Water in it and is insanely chocolately.

I thought Brooklyn had a different kind of chocolatey flavour though - less intense and, dare I say it, more malty.

I thought Brooklyn had a different kind of chocolatey flavour though - less intense and, dare I say it, more malty.

Brooklyn is a totally different beer, it's like the difference between a bar of 25% cocoa solid milk chocolate (Porterhouse truffle) and a 90% cocoa solid dark chocolate (Brooklyn).

My point being, it's entirely possible to get chocolatey flavours from just malt and no essences or extracts or artificial flavourings are needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Porterhouse one is made with cocoa.

• Advertisement

I reckoned that they added some kind of real chocolate-based product. This actually tastes a bit like cocao whereas most of the others seem to have more complex tastes reminiscent of chocolate.

Advertisement