Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Connacht, Sat 23 March 5:45pm, Live on TG4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Connacht team has been named....
    Connacht XV

15. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Danie Poolman
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Gavin Duffy (captain)
    10. Dan Parks
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. George Naoupu
    6. Andrew Browne
    7. Willie Faloon
    8. John Muldoon

Replacements: Adrian Flavin, Denis Buckley, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Eoin McKeon, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Fetu’u Vainikolo

Unavailable due to injury: Frank Murphy, Dave Nolan, Johnny O’Connor, Michael Swift, Kyle Tonetti

McCarthy on the bench. Good to see McSharry back. Could be a tight game though Munster never seem to have too many problems beating us.

Never liked Muldoon at 8, I'd move him to 6, bring in Browne and Mckeown, put Kearney on the bench. That teams good enough to beat Munster though, particularly given their recent record in Musgrave.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

4 Options in the lineout then and a bit more heft behind the front row with George in there. It's the first time in ages I've seen a strong Connacht bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I suppose Duffy was always gonna get nod over fetu'u for this game- could imagine o'gara would have targeted few kicks vainkolos way (plus who can forget his brainfart in this fixture last year- but option to bring on)
    Surprised kearney gets nod over browne for 2nd row, half expected george and browne there with muldoon, mckeon and faloon making up backrow

Still, not bad team, and healthy looking bench- great have mcsharry back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

He was starting for the Bulls until he announced his move to Munster and was promptly dropped. We don't know if he is an automatic starter, but come the HEC we'll be seeing him in the 23.

Ouch.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/20553.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

That's as good a Connacht team as I have seen in some time, not too many weaknesses there. However, being honest, even a full strength Connacht 15/23 might struggle against Munster in Cork, regardless of how poorly they have been going recently. Maybe it's time to buck a trend - this would be as good a time as any to do it, could make the end of the pro 12 season very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's a strong Connacht side. I'd take any kind of win tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That's a strong Connacht side. I'd take any kind of win tbh.

POC being back is absolutely huge. It will be very interesting to see the impact he has on his return. It's a very good pack Munster are putting out, but I'd be seriously worried about that back line. If Penney is still insisting on his wide game plan (I've given up calling it expansive) then Connacht are in with a very decent shot. If he's seen sense and has modified it somewhat I reckon Munster will edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I dunno what you'd really describe Penney/Mannix's game plan as.

The typewriter, inevitably moving from side to side but never in any other direction?

The crab? Although that would infer there would be some sort of pincer like incision....

The typewriter, inevitably moving from side to side but never in any other direction?

The crab? Although that would infer there would be some sort of pincer like incision....

Newtons cradle maybe?

Newtons_cradle_animation_book_2.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"Ride Me Sideways" was another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

That's as good a Connacht team as I have seen in some time, not too many weaknesses there. However, being honest, even a full strength Connacht 15/23 might struggle against Munster in Cork, regardless of how poorly they have been going recently. Maybe it's time to buck a trend - this would be as good a time as any to do it, could make the end of the pro 12 season very interesting.

Front row is fine, Faloon too. The rest of the pack is a pick'n'mix. Hopefully they've been working as this unit for the past couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wait, what.. Is he not in the H-Cup squad already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

.ak wrote: »
    Wait, what.. Is he not in the H-Cup squad already?

Nope, he was replaced by James Coughlan when he got injured.

Wow. I'd assumed he was there already.

Must be carrying a niggle? I thought he was quite decent the couple of times he played earlier in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Nit-picking a bit here but Stander was never in the HEC squad IIRC, because when you register your initial squad, all players therein have to be eligible to play and since Stander was still registered in SA at the outset, he couldn't be registered for the HEC.

They then had a choice between Coughlan and Stander as to who they'd register during the pool stages; picked Coughlan.

(I think the problem was that they anticipated Coughlan to be out injured for the entire pool stages so didn't register him at the start).

But it boils down to this; if Stander was good enough to be forcing his way into the 23, he'd have been added today ahead of Dineen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nit-picking a bit here but Stander was never in the HEC squad IIRC, because when you register your initial squad, all players therein have to be available to play and since Stander was still in SA at the outset, he couldn't be registered.

Registered with the club, can't be register when registered to another club in a different union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

But it boils down to this; if Stander was good enough to be forcing his way into the 23, he'd have been added today ahead of Dineen.

I assume if Earls hadn't gotten injured, Dineen wouldn't have needed to be added. I guess it's just an unfortunate needs-must situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Connacht +13 bet of the season

d-gal wrote: »
    Connacht +13 bet of the season

Wouldn't bet against Munster by principle (only did it the once! :P) but a 13 point spread is being generous to Munster. Connacht's away record to Munster isn't good but Munster won't score many tries with that mostly blunt backline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wouldn't bet against Munster by principle (only did it the once! :P) but a 13 point spread is being generous to Munster. Connacht's away record to Munster isn't good but Munster won't score many tries with that mostly blunt backline.

Add in the weather factor and bet looks even tastier

wprathead wrote: »
    Add in the weather factor and bet looks even tastier

Didn't realise the forecast was bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Is there much Connacht support heading down? Gonna make the trip but was wondering where most of the Clan will be before I buy a ticket. Anyone know where the Tom Sheridan crowd got tickets for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Robbo wrote: »
    4 Options in the lineout then and a bit more heft behind the front row with George in there. It's the first time in ages I've seen a strong Connacht bench.

That was exactly my thought when I saw the team. It's the first time in a long time that you can say that there are a number of impact guys on the bench.

Connacht Rugby‏@connachtrugby9m
    Late change for Connacht: Brian Murphy in for Dave McSharry (groin). KO 5.45pm #CRLive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Late change for Connacht: Brian Murphy in for Dave McSharry (groin). KO 5.45pm #CRLive

Sigh...

Ah, that's a pity.

Well anyway that's what you get for not coming to the dark side Dave!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

A mugs game going to the bookies.

Rightwing wrote: »
    A mugs game going to the bookies.

You could say that about many things. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's "for mugs". People that invest in shares are taking a gamble too, are they mugs as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

You could say that about many things. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's "for mugs". People that invest in shares are taking a gamble too, are they mugs as well?

The bookies will beat you. Make an investment in the bookies shares and you will do just fine. Stats are all in their favour.

Advertisement