Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Connacht, Sat 23 March 5:45pm, Live on TG4

Options
  • 21-03-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

O'Connell is back in the starting XV for the first time since October and all credit to the Munster Medical and S&C staff for having him back weeks ahead of schedule.

Penney has made just three changes from the side that drew with Ospreys, all those up front and more specifically in the back five.

Not surprisingly O’Connell’s return forces Billy Holland to the bench and just as unsurprisingly Donncha O’Callaghan gets to partner him while in the backrow Sean Dougall returns to the starting line-up for the first time since the January 9th League encounter with Edinburgh.

The backline remains the same as does the front row while Niall Ronan is included in the match day squad for the first time since November.

Short just five front line players, Conor Murray, Donnacha Ryan, Peter O’Mahony and the injured pair of Keith Earls and Luke O’Dea, it’s a selection that gives due cognisance to the challenge faced on Saturday and the importance of the game.

There’s only one play off place within Munster’s reach and they vie for that fourth spot with Ospreys and Scarlets so all eyes will be on the Stadio XXV Aprile and Liberty Stadium tomorrow night when Scarlets play Zebre and Ospreys take on Dragons.

But while those games will give Munster a clearer understanding where they stand, before a ball is kicked this weekend, they know exactly what’s required from them in Musgrave Park on Saturday evening.

Munster:
    F Jones; D Howlett, C Laulala, J Downey, D Hurley; R O’Gara, C Sheridan;
    D Kilcoyne, D Varley, S Archer; Donncha O’Callaghan, P O’Connell; T O’Donnell, S Dougall, J Coughlan.

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, BJ Botha, B Holland, N Ronan, D Williams, I Keatley, I Dineen.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11717.php

POC starting as promised yesterday! :)

Interesting selections at halfback, Sheridan is ahead of Duncan Williams at 9 but Ronan O'Gara stays ahead of Ian Keatley.

Hurley on the wing is a strange one, although Munster are short in that area due to injuries to Zebo, Earls and O'Dea. Funnily enough the Munster article above has forgotten Zebo exists ("short just five front line players"). The backline in generally doesn't really excite.

The absence of Stander really points to him being in the doghouse surely? Niall Ronan could do with the gametime (great to see him back btw) but Stander has played little rugby over the past while and if he was in the HEC frame he would surely have been involved in this match.

Archer is getting some consistent gametime now, he'll have a tough test against a decent Connacht scrum.

Connacht are chasing Munster in the table so it's imperative that Munster win this. They are more or less out of the playoff race bar some upsets involving Scarlets & Ospreys. Anything less than a BP win against Connacht isn't good enough and I can't see Munster scoring four tries.

CONNACHT:
    15. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Danie Poolman
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Gavin Duffy (captain)
    10. Dan Parks
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. George Naoupu
    6. Andrew Browne
    7. Willie Faloon
    8. John Muldoon

Replacements: Adrian Flavin, Denis Buckley, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Eoin McKeon, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Fetu’u Vainikolo

Unavailable due to injury: Frank Murphy, Dave Nolan, Johnny O’Connor, Michael Swift, Kyle Tonetti

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Serious lack of pace in that backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It'll be interesting to see how Archer does after being with Ireland. Might have done him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hype710 wrote: »
    Serious lack of pace in that backline.

Three of our quickest players all injured. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Which 6 are Munster missing?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Which 6 are Munster missing?

D Ryan, POM, Murray, Earls, Zebo, LOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Good backrow and seconds. Everything else isn't great, but as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

D Ryan, POM, Murray, Earls, Zebo, LOD

So 5 then.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If McCarthy and Swift are playing Connacht are in with a shout of knicking something. If they are both out I would expect an easy win for Munster. Any time both of them are missing our scrum has take a beating because Mick Kearney and Andrew Browne, who are outstanding talents, are a bit too light in comparison. We could chuck George in to the second row though.

Looking forward to this, especially with a strong Munster team out in comparison to previous years. A good litmus test for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

its_phil wrote: »
    If McCarthy and Swift are playing Connacht are in with a shout of knicking something. If they are both out I would expect an easy win for Munster. Any time both of them are missing our scrum has take a beating because Mick Kearney and Andrew Browne, who are outstanding talents, are a bit too light in comparison. We could chuck George in to the second row though.

Looking forward to this, especially with a strong Munster team out in comparison to previous years. A good litmus test for Connacht.

Swifty is out afaik, Macca is in from what I read here I reckon its going to be Browne Macca 2nd row with kearney on the bench. Browne has the edge on form for me atm

Would like to see

Buckley/Wilkinson
    JHW
    White
    Browne
    Macca
    Muldoon
    Faloon
    George/McKeon
    Marmion
    Parks
    Fetu'u
    McSharry
    Griffin
    Poolman
    Henshaw

Cannot decide on 1 or 8, Wilko has really come to form again but I reckon Buckley could really make life hell for archer. Similar Mckeon has been immense this season and we all know how the journeyman (sorry thomond:P) can play

Also just like to give a slow hand clap to whoever decided to have this in cork:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Whats the story with CJ Stander, why is he not even in the squad?

• Advertisement

Quintis wrote: »
    Whats the story with CJ Stander, why is he not even in the squad?

He played for the A's last Tuesday so he's not injured. I don't know what the story is.

He played for the A's last Tuesday so he's not injured. I don't know what the story is.

Ya, he played quite good too, it seems odd when he is such a good ball carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

could stander be on his way back to SA maybe.seems to have hardly played in the last two months even tho hes been fit????

could stander be on his way back to SA maybe.seems to have hardly played in the last two months even tho hes been fit????

Hopefully not, he had a great start to his time with Munster, a wasted talent sitting at home on the sofa

Quintis wrote: »
    Hopefully not, he had a great start to his time with Munster, a wasted talent sitting at home on the sofa

hope not either look like a talented play seems odd with injuries that hes hardly played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 The Peoples Captain

Stander's gametime is just being managed afaik. He's had a long year, and the branch want to prevent burn-out.

Stander's gametime is just being managed afaik. He's had a long year, and the branch want to prevent burn-out.

You would imagine they would still like him available and match for for the bigger games instead of playing 80 minutes in an A match, especially with Harlequins two weeks away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He had a few weeks in SA on holidays during the six nations, visit his newborn niece, possibly help the girlfriend move to Ireland. He came back and was thrown into the A game.

Dunno why he isn't playing now.

He had a few weeks in SA on holidays during the six nations, visit his newborn niece, possibly help the girlfriend move to Ireland. He came back and was thrown into the A game.

He did look like he was carrying a bit of weight in the A match but nothing too serious, maybe its a fitness issue if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

could have a niggling injury and not want to risk it what will be a tough inter-pro match, could be time management as his season has been ridiculously long as well. Certainly has impressed me in his cameos so i doubt its because they dont rate him

• Advertisement

think hes due to get married in the summer too just seems odd with not a lot of players to pick from in the 6/7/8 spots that he isnt even on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

The theories around Stander are bizarre. The coach just doesn't rate him!

The theories around Stander are bizarre. The coach just doesn't rate him!

this

I don't buy the "prevent burnout" theory. They are hardly going to pay him to sit on his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Play him in a meaningless A game that will be of little benefit but completely exclude him from important interpro?? If I was managing his gametime (or paying his wages) I wouldn't be resting him for the big games and giving him 80 mins in totally meaningless ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good to see Alain Rolland reffing this. Less chance of a ridiculous penalty try given to reward Archer boring in...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Strander just hasn't had enough gametime, mostly due to injury, to prove himself good enough to start an important Munster match yet. Remember he was warming the bench for the Bulls most of last season. Why do we think he should be an automatic starter here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

sweetthing wrote: »
    Strander just hasn't had enough gametime, mostly due to injury, to prove himself good enough to start an important Munster match yet. Remember he was warming the bench for the Bulls most of last season. Why do we think he should be an automatic starter here?

Because he was unfortunate enough to receive a ridiculous amount of hype. He probably has the title of the most hyped "project player" prior to their arrival. Many fans had seen a few youtube clips of him ball carrying and saw him as some sort of messiah, starter and instant ligind.

He could turn out to be a fantastic player but just as easily crumble under the weight of needless expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 The Peoples Captain

sweetthing wrote: »

He was starting for the Bulls until he announced his move to Munster and was promptly dropped. We don't know if he is an automatic starter, but come the HEC we'll be seeing him in the 23.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really, really, really don't understand Penney. He tries to bring in an expansive gameplan and then picks the absolute worst flyhalf to do it and then barely gives a promising and talented backrow a chance in Stander. Unless Penney just doesn't rate Stander (and I genuinely haven't seen enough of him to form my own opinion) in which case it was potentially just a screw up in bringing him over in the first place.

Anyway, all signs point to ROG starting the QF and thus ending Munster's chances of winning that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Connacht team has been named....
    Connacht XV

15. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Danie Poolman
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Gavin Duffy (captain)
    10. Dan Parks
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. George Naoupu
    6. Andrew Browne
    7. Willie Faloon
    8. John Muldoon

Replacements: Adrian Flavin, Denis Buckley, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Eoin McKeon, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Fetu’u Vainikolo

Unavailable due to injury: Frank Murphy, Dave Nolan, Johnny O’Connor, Michael Swift, Kyle Tonetti

McCarthy on the bench. Good to see McSharry back. Could be a tight game though Munster never seem to have too many problems beating us.

Advertisement