Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking alone at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

michellie wrote: »
    Pole should just say yes or no.

Bit racist that. They're entitled to discourse just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

lisar816 wrote: »
    I don't see a problem, drinking during the day alone now that's a different story.

I've never quite understood what the time of day had to do with it. Drinking is drinking whether you do it at midday or midnight doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I don't see any major problems with someone who likes to have a drink or 2 in the evenings. Different story if one was going home having a 6 pack or a full bottle of wine each evening.

Personally I don't see the point in it, unless some people just like the taste I'm assuming?

I'd much rather a strong coffee or strong cup of tea after a hard days work :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's something I would do fairly often, although knowing the other bar flies at my local means I can drop in for a bit of a chat at least if I get wasted at home. I've gotten completely thrashed on my own, loads of times, it's so pointless.

anncoates wrote: »
    I would have hardly ever had a drink at home up until about 5 or 6 years and always thought doing it instead of going out as much was a bit weird but since I stopped going out as often (because of age/kids) I've realized it's quite enjoyable.

Also other factors have made it more enjoyable: Internet and a much wider range of quality beer available from off-licenses and supermarkets these days against the high cost of pubs.

The idea that having a six bottles of beer at home watching the TV is sign of latent alcoholism - yet having six pints in a pub is not - is a bit stupid and probably a rumour started by the Fianna Fail/Vintners Association axis.

Yeah I'd agreed with all that.

Obviously it would be ideal to be able to afford to go out with friends as much as possible but money/time/physical pain the next day/kids don't make that easy.

Would to it average once a week only. Obviously doing it every day is just as bad as drinking in the pub everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Sometimes there is nothing at all nicer than having the kids tucked up, lighting a few candles and putting on some junk tv with a nice glass of wine. Myself and most of my peers would tend to do this about 2/3 nights a week - I agree that it can be a slippery slope for some - I know people who would never open a bottle of wine in the evening as the whole bottle would be gone so they just avoid it - and it is easily done - too easily. that said, i'm normally fit for my bed relatively early so I don't have the energy to stay up to finish any more than max 2 glasses. Sometimes myself and hubby would finish a bottle between us but we don't keep wine in the house so at least we know when it's gone it's gone. - I think that can be dangerous too - we have had nights (although they tended to be pre-children) when we've reached for the 3rd bottle (!) but the babies have those days firmly behind us now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

How about you answer my question, and then I'll answer yours.

That was the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'll have the odd whiskey at home. I go through a bottle every month or two. Occasionally (Like a few times a year) it might be enough to make me tipsy or giggly.

I think if your doing it every night, and getting drunk every night it might be worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

What if I drink at home alone while watching Home Alone?

Giruilla wrote: »
    That was the answer to your question.

No, that was simply another question with nothing to do with your original statement that if you have a drink at home alone you are dependent on alcohol.

• Advertisement

No, that was simply another question with nothing to do with your original statement that if you have a drink at home alone you are dependent on alcohol.

I was trying to elucidate the meaning of dependency which you and others in this thread seem to not grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was trying to elucidate the meaning of dependency which you and others in this thread seem to not grasp.
    No you're dodging a question by talking balls. A lot of people actually like the taste of beer and by choice will drink at home. There's no dependency on it. And not everyone that drinks coffee in the morning is looking for a caffeine buzz

Well maybe if you could explain why having a drink at home alone means you are dependent on alcohol, without just asking another question, I'll be better able to grasp it.

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    What if I drink at home alone while watching Home Alone?

then you're in trouble, could end up in the twilight zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course the undercurrent here is the notion that alcohol dependency is inherently a bad thing and that any scenario involving alcohol which isn't a once-off celebration means that you're at risk of becoming the next Shane MacGowan.

If someone's alcohol dependency does not have an adverse affect on their life or someone else's life, what's the issue? If someone went home and had five beers every single night as part of their routine, then went to bed and got up for work bright and fresh, what's the problem?

Most people have a dependency of one kind or another - a habit or routine which they engage in most days and take pleasure from it. What makes alcohol evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sounds like the Vintners Association want to create a negetive stereotype. Losing too many auld lads in the corner of pubs or something!

Well maybe if you could explain why having a drink at home alone means you are dependent on alcohol, without just asking another question, I'll be better able to grasp it.

"Shows" not "means". Someone drinking at home alone is more likely to be dependent on alcohol or become dependent on alcohol than someone who does not. Its very simple really. I am of the opinion that anyone outraged by this is clearly insecure with their drinking habits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Doing it every night now, that's a different story.
    This would be my take too. All too easy to slip into as well. Not turning into an alcoholic*, but a risk of dependence for those prone to it.

Happened to me. About ten years ago went through a right bastard of a year with a few emotional traumas, couple of bereavements blah blah. Anyway how it came out in me was I couldn't sleep, couldn't switch off. So would have a couple of cans of beer of an evening. No less, very very rarely more. A sleeping draught of sorts. I figured better than going the prescription tablets route. Anyway I definitely became dependent on those two beers. I wasn't drinking to the level of drunkenness. I may be a lightweight but not on two cans of beer. :) It crept up on me. It really hit home when one night I was driving home and realised I hadn't those two cans at home and got into a panic looking for the last off licence open.

Wake up call. Though it didn't stop me for a good year after that. Like I say only a couple of beers, no real harm and all that, but it those beers were in control of me, not the other way around. If you find yourself like I was then maybe it's time to reassess. If it's more along the lines of a bottle of plonk every night then IMH it's definitely time to maybe step back and have a look. People differ though and no way am I trying to be preachy here, but like I say if you're in the driving seat then cool, if you're not...

*though I do know a chap who did end up a "real" alcoholic who started out with the few beers in the evening and progressed to bottles of spirits. Thankfully he came out the other end of it and is now sober for many a year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Shows" not "means". Someone drinking at home alone is more likely to be dependent on alcohol or become dependent on alcohol than someone who does not. Its very simple really. I am of the opinion that anyone outraged by this is clearly insecure with their drinking habits.

Ah, but you didn't say "more likely to", you said "shows a dependency", that's very different. Thank you for clearing that up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    Most people have a dependency of one kind or another - a habit or routine which they engage in most days and take pleasure from it. What makes alcohol evil?
    Oh very much agreed S. Come between me and my many cups of black tea a day and I'll pull a switchblade on ye. :D

How might alcohol be different? In some people, the risk of escalation is there so normalising daily drinking alone may not be the best plan. It would be down to dosage too on the physical side especially. A glass or even two of red wine is actually good for you as many many studies have shown, a bottle of wine not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Of course! I've poured myself a nice big glass of vino and sat down in front of good TV, lovely.

It's only a problem if you're sitting there by yourself, getting absolutely poleaxed, weeing on your couch and waking up at 3am (in your wee sodden clothes) wondering what time it is and how the hell you got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I do sometimes but not as often as I used to. The reason being that when I have a drink at home its the same as when I'm in the pub - one is definitely not enough.
    If I drink at home I'll usually get a 6 pack at least and if that's gone before 10 o'clock it's very likely that I'll pop down to the shop for another few beers.

That's fine at the weekend but not during the week when i have to get up early so generally I don't bother drinking at home unless people are calling over at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Funnilly enough I would never drink beer at home. Dont know why because when I go out beer is all I drink. However at home I would drink wine. On a Friday I buy 2 bottles of wine and that will do me for Fri/Sat and Sun night (along with a HUGE bag of doritos each night :D )

I go out once every 3 weeks now so on that weekend it would be just beer and no wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

You'd think with our fondness of booze and how much of it we consume, alcohol wouldn't be a taboo subject but it absolutely is.

Our attitudes toward it are finely intertwined with our social dynamics. It seems it's such an ingrained part of our social lives that enjoying alcohol outside of a social setting is somehow rocking the boat and forces people to question their own relationship with booze.

It's to the point where regularly getting absolutely sh!tfaced, so long as you're with other people, is more socially acceptable than having a few beers alone. It's the opposite in most other countries funnily enough.

Merkin wrote: »
    Of course! I've poured myself a nice big glass of vino and sat down in front of good TV, lovely.

It's only a problem if you're sitting there by yourself, getting absolutely poleaxed, weeing on your couch and waking up at 3am (in your wee sodden clothes) wondering what time it is and how the hell you got there.

yes, and that is relevant to drinking in any condition or enviroment surely?

what I don't really gather is how people claim it as some slippery slope that is all too likely.

Of course it can happen. But imo, it's about as dangerous as drinking anywhere or with any number of people. I don't see how it's an especially 'slippery slope'.

there's a ridiculous attitude to drink and drugs in ireland. It's engrained into our culture to push it a bit far, but trying to deny people access to the alcohol, through price increase, false health warnings or prohibition isn't going to work and hasn't worked anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If someone's alcohol dependency does not have an adverse affect on their life or someone else's life, what's the issue? If someone went home and had five beers every single night as part of their routine, then went to bed and got up for work bright and fresh, what's the problem?

Similar to my thoughts on legal cannabis.

Leftist wrote: »
    I don't see how it's an especially 'slippery slope'.
    I suppose because if someone is drinking alone it's hidden L. If you're in the pub every night getting blasted the "what the neighbours might say" effect might stop some people. Doing the same every night in front of the telly that social component, even brake is missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Of course the undercurrent here is the notion that alcohol dependency is inherently a bad thing and that any scenario involving alcohol which isn't a once-off celebration means that you're at risk of becoming the next Shane MacGowan.

Needing a new liver after drinking 5 beers a night for 20 years would be quite the adverse affect if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I like the odd wheat beer/ craft ale of an evening when I get home from work., maybe 2 or 3 times a week. They're much tastier and stronger than generic lagers, so I tend to savour them and I rarely have more than one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

with a mate on the lash one time, we went into the local 10.am on day two, ordered a brandy and a whiskey, the landlord a confirmed alcho said to it is dangerous drinking so early in the day, as he drew a double brandy for himself.

Advertisement