Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking alone at home

Options
  • 21-03-2013 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭

Like some sap. Apparently it's a 'dangerous sign' according to some derek on newstalk.

Do you drink alone at home?

I've had a bottle of wine or beers while watching a film, when did it become some warning sign or slide into alcoholism, because I've been doing it on occassion for 10 years now and I'm worried I might end up any day now sucking coins out of payphones just to buy a box of wine.

Drink on your own at home? 324 votes

Yep
    0% 0 votes
    No way, that's disgusting.
    100% 324 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Drinking home alone is only a bad sign when that home is under a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Doing it every day would be one thing if you are getting wasted..

But home from work after a stressful day.... nothing better than a few cans and a film to chillaxe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I don't see a problem, drinking during the day alone now that's a different story.

Too right I do. I like the taste of beer or wine so why wouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I often get home late after work. Its ahrd to just switch off straight away so some tv and a beer help.

Also when watching sports at home I like to have a couple of beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Pole should just say yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very enjoyable to sit down to a good movie, few beers and a bag of decent crisps. "Dangerous sign" me arse.

It's a dangerous sign when you equate "drinking" with "getting drunk", but when you're drinking to relax and you're not getting pissed and passing out, it doesn't matter if you're on your own or with 20 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Nope. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Can't beat a few ice cold cans/bottles after a long day in work.
    Normally get 4 while watching a film or playing the xbox.

I really don't see a problem with it at all.

**** all the do-gooders

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Leftist wrote: »
    Like some sap. Apparently it's a 'dangerous sign' according to some derek on newstalk.

I've had a bottle of wine or beers while watching a film, when did it become some warning sign or slide into alcoholism, because I've been doing it on occassion for 10 years now and I'm worried I might end up any day now sucking coins out of payphones just to buy a box of wine.

This "Derek" chap - woudln't happen to be connected to the Vinters Association, would he, by any chance?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All the time. I'm pretty good company.

• Advertisement

I used to but stopped long ago. It never went that well. Plus when alone many of us do less talking - moving about and so forth so I found I was less likely to notice when I had too much to drink.

These days I drink but very rarely - not that much at all - and certainly never alone.

Wont vote in the poll though. The wording of "no" does not match my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I did drink I never drank at home,Always preferred the Pub for the atmosphere and craic, Suppose its more understandable now with the difference in price though.

Some of the downsides to drinking at home are no closing time and the measure,s can be quite big :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

smallies put to bed, stove glowing, telly switched from the disney channel to sky news to catch up, and a cold beer to hand, at your own pace, nice and relaxed......unwind, can't top it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I don't drink at home alone so i picked no but i don't think its disgusting. Just personally I've never felt like it. I don't drink beer so its not like i can just have a few cans while watching tv or something.
    Also i drive a lot so i don't like to take the chance. I pretty much only drink to get drunk which is probably not a good attitude i know, and i only do it maybe once a week.

Maybe once a month I'll get proper blotto on my own, depends on how much I've done recently though. Other than that a few cans of a Friday evening when not heading out after getting 5 hours kips a night all week, I'll take the alcoholism so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I do it sometimes. Grab a six pack, stick on one of my favourite movies, then open up the laptop and listen to a few tunes or whatever. I may be a little tipsy by the end...never gargled though.

Then I head to to bed. No harm done.

A good night had by all me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Not sure how you link "dangerous sign" to "slide into alcoholism". It shows a dependency on alcohol that other people do not.. thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Drinking alone at home.... Apparently it's a 'dangerous sign' according to some derek on newstalk.

'dangerous sign' for the vintners.
    Derek sounds like he is in their pocket.

Never forget to read between the lines kids......

You're never alone with a newspaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't really ever drink at home. Would have no issue with people doing it every once in a while.

Doing it every night now, that's a different story.

• Advertisement

Giruilla wrote: »
    Not sure how you link "dangerous sign" to "slide into alcoholism". It shows a dependency on alcohol that other people do not.. thats all.

How does drinking alone show a dependency on alcohol?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I better stop having a baileys coffee at home once in a blue moon since I'm so dependent on alcohol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

One for me and one for each of my multiple personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vandekyrian

Yes I do it, a whiskey or two with 7Up does me nicely 3 or 4 times a week. That said, I did hoover through a liter of rum in ten days last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

mikom wrote: »
    'dangerous sign' for the vintners.
    Derek sounds like he is in their pocket.

Never forget to read between the lines kids......

Not just the vintners losing out, when you have a few drinks out you usually end up in the chipper on the way home, so arguably it's healthier to drink at home.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Whats wrong with watching a game of rugby or soccer and having a few beers??!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Nope, I never drink home alone.

I might share a bottle of beer with my husband now and again, maybe once a week or so.
    But when I'm on my own, I wouldn't really touch alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

How does drinking alone show a dependency on alcohol?

Would you not say people who drink coffee every morning have a dependency on caffeine?

Giruilla wrote: »
    Would you not say people who drink coffee every morning have a dependency on caffeine?

How about you answer my question, and then I'll answer yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I would have hardly ever had a drink at home up until about 5 or 6 years and always thought doing it instead of going out as much was a bit weird but since I stopped going out as often (because of age/kids) I've realized it's quite enjoyable.

Also other factors have made it more enjoyable: Internet and a much wider range of quality beer available from off-licenses and supermarkets these days against the high cost of pubs.

The idea that having a six bottles of beer at home watching the TV is sign of latent alcoholism - yet having six pints in a pub is not - is a bit stupid and probably a rumour started by the Fianna Fail/Vintners Association axis.

Advertisement