Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial Photos using a Radio Controlled Platform

Options
  • 20-03-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Some years ago I bought a Petrol engined Helicopter with a 1.9m rotor span, so it was capable of lifting a seriously heavy camera. My intention at the time was to shoot footage of Golf Holes Flybyes, but the pursuit of vibe free emptied my pockets and I gravitated towards stills.

I have since developed a number of Platforms called Multicopters using the latest technology and wonder if any posters have experience of AP or considered this approach.

Here is one such image:

p1070136.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's a guy that does something similar, not with a helicopter though, with a big rig and he gets similars as above for house sales and weddings etc

Will try route out the link.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/weddingphotography/4691695

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There used to be a crowd in Limerick that took aerial photographs of golf courses using a combination of aerial photography and cameras mounted on long booms. Some of their work was used for advertisements but the bulk of it was converted into course guides for the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I've toyed with the idea of building a multicopter as a toy with the possibility of someday give AP a go but never got past the research stage. There are of course plenty of pre-built packages out and if you're prepared to spend a fortune you can get some cool toys like these but where's the fun in that.

Diydrones.com has lots of useful info and if anyone was looking at the self build option the arducopter / ardu pilot auto pilot platform is is a relatively cheap and popular option with an active community developing and supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cellosid

That Arducopter is a highly capable and sophisticated platform and great value given the present market.

I would draw your attention to their points of caution :

Experience with other planes or stabilized single rotor helis is highly recommended. ArduCopter is not a RC toy and should not be your first RC aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

You can get rigs for vans or else you can use these, bit pricey but great results, esp for video!

octocopter1.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes,.......... I'm familiar with these Octocopters, you're right, they are very pricey, especially if bought as a 'ready to fly' kit. The large part of the cost is for Carbon frames and props and sophisticated Flight Controller. Getting vibe free and stable footage adds another substantial cost with a Gyro stabilized Gimbal.

I have built a number of Quadcopters, hard mounted a simple camera mount and achieved good results for the investment.

Here is one :

sidsgirohelicopter171.jpg

Here is another image :

p1010089jt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

they are fantastic !!

- but the only downside is that you cant operate them in a populated area (some photographers may not know this, anyone who uses RC equipment finds out at some point)

I was told a few years ago that some members of the Gardai wanted to use them to record an aerial view for RTA (Road traffic accidents) but were told no, so the Garda helicopter has been used if required !!!

The German police regularly use these and Canadian police also ...probably another couple of other countries !!

(Also a few years ago) Was also talking to a guy who said a friend of his was working on a prototype which would allow for in excess of an hour flight at a time (I dont know how much air time you guys are getting at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I've seen guys using blimps on winches before at pretty busy events for aerial photography. I suppose the balloon poses a significantly lower risk to the general public. Balloons are obviously a lot more limited by weather conditions but with a long enough cable you can presumably still get a high enough vantage point.

The balloon systems out there are not cheap either though.

Corkbah wrote: »
    they are fantastic !!

- but the only downside is that you cant operate them in a populated area (some photographers may not know this, anyone who uses RC equipment finds out at some point)

I was told a few years ago that some members of the Gardai wanted to use them to record an aerial view for RTA (Road traffic accidents) but were told no, so the Garda helicopter has been used if required !!!

The German police regularly use these and Canadian police also ...probably another couple of other countries !!

(Also a few years ago) Was also talking to a guy who said a friend of his was working on a prototype which would allow for in excess of an hour flight at a time (I dont know how much air time you guys are getting at the moment)

I had been speaking to Gardai in the Photography Dept, Garda HQ. some years back about my Aerial Platforms and they expressed a great interest in their capabilities and the cost saving benefits. That was as far as it went despite repeated efforts on my part. The continual use of the Garda Helicopter for basic AP is nothing but a waste of public money. :mad:

There are certainly many ways of capturing Aerial Imaging. I feel there is no one way,........ they all have there respective merits. With regards to ease of deployment, a RC Multicopter is hard to beat.

This shot of the Cliffs of Moher was captured with my RC Motoglider.
    copyofskycamirelandwebs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I am in the process of building my own quadcopter atm. Its called an H-quad.
    I haven't even got it flying yet but I think I am close :) I think all I need to do is calibrate the esc's because the motors are all spinning up at different speeds. I'm hoping to put a gopro up on it once I can fly it well enough. I dont think it will be able to carry anything like a dslr. Volkswagen recently used these guys on their WRC campaign with an octocopter. They got some real good results. http://vimeo.com/57940210

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Another option is KAP - Kite Aerial Photography.

You can get a rig, depending on what camera you want to use and different levels of tech on the rig to turn, pan and shoot. It all gets flown by a kite and is pretty cheap/low-fi.

Obviously it is wind dependent. I've been looking into getting a KAP set up for a few years. I've emailed a guy that makes the rigs. I just haven't had the time to get it done.

That's a slick production for sure. It would take Corporations such as VW and Red Bull to pull that footage. They must have some PL Insurance to warrant that flyover shots. I wouldn't take it on regardless what they paid. Bit irresponsible to be honest. I see VW even branded the Octo. It will only take one serious mishap to ground us all. It's starting to happen in the US.

What Flight Controller are you using ? An Octocopter can lift a DSLR, unless you are scaling down the power train considerably. Most Quadcopters can lift a GoPro so you will not notice it onboard unless it's a Micro Octocopter you have planned. That H configuration an interesting one, but where do you intend to mount the GoPro ?

pete4130 wrote: »
    Another option is KAP - Kite Aerial Photography.

You can get a rig, depending on what camera you want to use and different levels of tech on the rig to turn, pan and shoot. It all gets flown by a kite and is pretty cheap/low-fi.

Obviously it is wind dependent. I've been looking into getting a KAP set up for a few years. I've emailed a guy that makes the rigs. I just haven't had the time to get it done.

Yeah........... that's a low tech approach for sure and I have done it and own two two Kites and rigs using a 'Picavet' system. It's a relatively good and simple system which you could make if you were anyway handy. Where it gets a bit complex is when you want a Gyro stabilized Camera mount and Video downlink to help frame the subject. Also, you will need to trigger the shutter or use 'Burst' mode.

The purist KAP'rs use a bare bones approach and enjoy the random review of shots afterwards.

I just like the idea of KAP for fun. It's pretty rare to find anyone else that has ever shot KAP. I'd try to keep it simple and use my Yashica T4 and see what I get when the film gets developed. Obviously not using it for professional/commercial purposes.

I just like the idea of KAP for fun. It's pretty rare to find anyone else that has ever shot KAP. I'd try to keep it simple and use my Yashica T4 and see what I get when the film gets developed. Obviously not using it for professional/commercial purposes.

'When the Film gets developed' ......... I can see the purists approach working well for you. :)

Where are you based......... I can show you my Rigs if you are interested ?

BTW. What weight is the Yashica T4 ?

I'd love to come check them out but I'm in Sydney. Seriously would love to try them out if I was back in Dublin though.

The Yashica T4/T5 is about 190gm + battery and film so really light.

It was this website http://brooxes.com that I was browsing a while ago and emailed the guy about getting a rig put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This guy seems to do some nice work...

http://www.coptercamireland.com/

I'd love to come check them out but I'm in Sydney. Seriously would love to try them out if I was back in Dublin though.

The Yashica T4/T5 is about 190gm + battery and film so really light.

It was this website http://brooxes.com that I was browsing a while ago and emailed the guy about getting a rig put together.

That site is a good source for KAP gear.

I checked the specs on your Yashica T4 and while it is highly regarded for excellent images(great Zeiss lense). I don't think it is a good choice for KAP. The weight is OK but your camera will be constantly swinging around and I feel the lowish shutter speed will struggle to capture sharp images. In addition, you will need to address the shutter release problem as this camera doesn't have an intervalometer function.

bbam wrote: »

The proliferation of 'Ready to Fly' kits means more and more guys will see it as an opportunity to enter this market place. There is a stream of footage on YT and the like, where the flying has been less than safe. This guy has produced some nice work but the Authorities will take a dim view at his 1000ft Alt. capabilty. Also, flying in inclement weather, built up areas and over people is not best practice and a recipe for disaster.

Artistic endeavor should never endanger public safety. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

cellosid wrote: »
    The proliferation of 'Ready to Fly' kits means more and more guys will see it as an opportunity to enter this market place. There is a stream of footage on YT and the like, where the flying has been less than safe. This guy has produced some nice work but the Authorities will take a dim view at his 1000ft Alt. capabilty. Also, flying in inclement weather, built up areas and over people is not best practice and a recipe for disaster.

Artistic endeavor should never endanger public safety. :(

Fair enough..
    I was just saying it was nicely done..

I see he has some TV credits already so I doubt he's just some bloke with a new toy either..

And I'm not affiliated or even know the guy..

Fair enough..
    I was just saying it was nicely done..

I see he has some TV credits already so I doubt he's just some bloke with a new toy either..

And I'm not affiliated or even know the guy..

I agree, it was nicely done. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh...... my post was a plea for responsible flying and a warning to others.

The suppliers of these entry level RC Models will have us believe that the latest technology with Autonomous flight capability is an inherent safety factor. The reality is, there is no substitution for safe flying. These models do malfunction on occasion and can inflict serious injury.

Only yesterday there was a terrible tragedy in Malaysia.
    http://www.ntv7.com.my/7edition/local-en/FREAK_ACCIDENT_18_MONTH_OLD_GIRL_KILLED_IN_REMOTE_CONTROL_HELICOPTER_MISHAP.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

That's a slick production for sure. It would take Corporations such as VW and Red Bull to pull that footage. They must have some PL Insurance to warrant that flyover shots. I wouldn't take it on regardless what they paid. Bit irresponsible to be honest. I see VW even branded the Octo. It will only take one serious mishap to ground us all. It's starting to happen in the US.

What Flight Controller are you using ? An Octocopter can lift a DSLR, unless you are scaling down the power train considerably. Most Quadcopters can lift a GoPro so you will not notice it onboard unless it's a Micro Octocopter you have planned. That H configuration an interesting one, but where do you intend to mount the GoPro ?
    http://flitetest.com/articles/H_Quad_Scratch_Build

I'm following these plans and all the components. It uses a HobbyKing i86 flight controller. I thought it would be the easiest way to get going but its a pretty big learning curve trying to get everything setup the right way. I could have bought a quad thats ready to fly but it would have been twice the price probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I'm wondering if you really would mount DSLR for such work on a RC heli?
    Results are pretty amazing, but I think I would be too scared to use this technique :)

Btw. Awesome video!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

Have been flying rc planes and heli's for 10 years combined and recently got a quad copter. Seeing that i do photography and the odd bit of videography i have always experimented by putting my go pro on my plane and i can see there could be a market for these sort of aerial shots.

I'd say you'd pay a arm and a leg for a quad copter to carrier a dslr so maybe a hd camcorder or the new black go pro seems the better choice by still maintaining great quality. Gonna look into this myself and if anyone is interested in partnering up id be willing to do so with funds available.

Here's a link to a vid i made, it was made quickly and more so to the music so alot of cuts and flashes, was just getting use to final cut pro x as i changed from sony vegas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnTe1z8SKI

sebphoto wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you really would mount DSLR for such work on a RC heli?
    Results are pretty amazing, but I think I would be too scared to use this technique :)

Btw. Awesome video!

700 size RC Helis have no trouble lifting a DSLR. The issue of vibrations on a Heli can be problematic, particularly non electric models.

That footage is impressive, made possible by the BOSS image stabilization feature of the Sony.

Does anyone know what type of quadcopter he's using and im also wondering how he gets such stable shots with no shake using the go pro???

stedabee wrote: »
    Does anyone know what type of quadcopter he's using and im also wondering how he gets such stable shots with no shake using the go pro???

He's using one of these :

http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/phantom/overview/

But before you go investing have a read of this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056903527

He's using one of these :

http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/phantom/overview/

But before you go investing have a read of this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056903527

Good lord ill be thinking twice about getting one of these then, dont mind the money but injuring someone would be terrible!

After a good few searches i found a good few shops in England that seem to do everything you want for AP.

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/aircraft

http://quadcopters.co.uk/steadidrone-qu4d-ready-to-fly-quadcopter-660-p.asp

• Advertisement

Yeah........... that's a low tech approach for sure and I have done it and own two two Kites and rigs using a 'Picavet' system. It's a relatively good and simple system which you could make if you were anyway handy. Where it gets a bit complex is when you want a Gyro stabilized Camera mount and Video downlink to help frame the subject. Also, you will need to trigger the shutter or use 'Burst' mode.

The purist KAP'rs use a bare bones approach and enjoy the random review of shots afterwards.

Here are a couple of KAP self portraits :)

p1060117r.jpg

p1060061w.jpg

Advertisement