Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost White Quad Copter with "Phantom" and "DJI" stickers on body.

Options
  • 15-03-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys
    I lost connection with my Aerial Photography Quad Copter.
    it just took of and had a mind of its own
    I was in the Dublin 8 area visiting a friend doing some low orientation flying and taking snaps of his house for him and it just started to climb and climb and move east over the Tenters, Blackpitts, Kevin Street area, then it dissapeared from view
    Any one with any info please help, Reward if found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JoeyIM

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Have you got a pic of it? I have no idea, how they look like...but I'm working in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'd give Kevin St. Garda Station a shout, or drop into them. Have a look around the park between Long Lane and Kevin St. and pop into the security hut at the end of Long Lane. Did it definitely go over New Street towards Kevin Street? I'd also make a few visits along Fumbally Lane and see if anything landed in there.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was in that general Direction, thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

What kind of range has it got, is it limited by the remote signal? Just trying to narrow down the area it might have landed in, I work in the area so I'll keep a look out and pass on the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

vektarman wrote: »
    What kind of range has it got, is it limited by the remote signal? Just trying to narrow down the area it might have landed in, I work in the area so I'll keep a look out and pass on the word.
    Once it loses contact with the remote it is on it's own. The range will be determined by how long it was in flight before contact was lost. Which, in turn, will be determined by the capacity of the battery powering the thing.

I would expect a maximum flying time of under 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ah does it not have loose connection return to home option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

That's what I thought as well.
    Hope you find it do you need a license to fly it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Gugleguy, This isn't the place to discuss your RC helicopter/quadcopter, can we stay On Topic Please

Did you find it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cellosid

ah does it not have loose connection return to home option?

This unfortunately is an all too common experience with new RC Flyers.

This is a very capable Aerial Imaging platform in the right hands. It has a RTH mode on loss of signal but it can only function if the user ensures that it has a GPS lock before flying. Perhaps the OP had this mode armed and it malfunctioned.......in any event, the thing to do when it gets away is to power down the Radio forcing a signal failure and activating RTH.

oh ! Its a good idea to 'Sharpie' contact details on the underbody.

Hey Guys I am experienced flyer, it seems the wifi on the gopro and the RC channel operate at 2.4ghz, still no sign of it, I'm hoping someone finds it, the camera on it was a gift from my dad before he past away earlier this year :(

JoeyIM wrote: »
    Hey Guys I am experienced flyer, it seems the wifi on the gopro and the RC channel operate at 2.4ghz, still no sign of it, I'm hoping someone finds it, the camera on it was a gift from my dad before he past away earlier this year :(

That puts a greater need in finding it !

Have you thought about approaching the local Media ?

That DJI Phantom model also has issues with the stock motors, apparently the QC on them is very inconsistent. They have poor solder joints and cause the algorithms to go crazy and the controller malfunctions.

Not much consolation to you. I know. :( How much flying were you doing before it took off............. if there was limited life it maybe it's sitting on some roof top ?

It would not take much for the manufacturers to included some 'Locator' electronics in these Models. I guess it's not in their commercial interest to do that, so it would have to be installed retrospectively.

Hope it turns up............ if it was me, I would be voicing my complaints to DJI ?

Thats what I would do as well if you lost control of it.
    Might be defective and covered under warranty

Thanks Guys i have contacted DJI and they are getting back to me, its the camera thats the most upsetting, i know its material bu the sentiment in which it was given to me is gone with it :( Hopefully someone wil come across it, ill pay a reward.

Thanks Guys i have contacted DJI and they are getting back to me, its the camera thats the most upsetting, i know its material bu the sentiment in which it was given to me is gone with it :( Hopefully someone wil come across it, ill pay a reward.

Get the local Media on it............. they all love a human interest story and somebody may know if it came to ground. If nothing comes of it shortly it may emerge in time or be found on a roof top or the like. It's not every day that someone comes across an item like this, so it is a talking point ?

If I can help in any way let me know ?

I will do, and thank you very much for your kind offer :)
    Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

do you now someone local that has a different fpv platform?
    If so ask them to take a look on the buildings around the area, or find the tallest building and see if you can get on the roof, if its not been found and taken by now its more than likely stuck in a tree, or sitting on a roof in a gutter..

• Advertisement

Thanks that is my next option when the weather improves :)

I read today that DJI are compensating users for the 'Flyaway' faults. Have you heard anything from them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BrianC2488

Did you find your phantom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Please do not bump old threads that have not been active for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement