Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any ''Real Culchies or Muckers'' Left ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Do they really?

Muck savages but its all "banter" right?
    I'v lived in Dublin, London and Hong Kong. The language and attitude of Dubs is a lot more similar to how HKers talk about Mainlanders, than it is to how Londoners speak about Northerners.

obv language Cantonese vs English joke lol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

wont you take me to culchie town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I think the only resolution to all this nonsense is a giant faction fight on the curragh, all the dubs can put their collars up and spray themselves with paco-rabane,if you come from a less salubrious area of dublin, then surely one of your betters from SoCoDu can spare a bit and spray you.

Country folk can all wear jumpers with holes in them and spray Hi-Karate on each other, though shuffle the ranks to keep the cork and kerry crowd apart, ditto meath and louth, ditto limerick and clare,ditto,ditto,ditto.

BYO tae & sangwiches/heroin

Music provided by Aslan and Saw Doctors

Everyone good for saturday, bout 1 ish??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

snotboogie wrote: »
    Muck savages but its all "banter" right?
    I'v lived in Dublin, London and Hong Kong.

That's wonderful for you, have you traveled around Ireland much?

To be honest, I see more venom the other way... Dublin scum, scumbagville etc... and in fairness, mostly from keyboard warriors on this site! I don't think they'd be as unmannerly in the real world.

It's worse to be called scum than a muck savage, sure did you not know, savage means good! Believe me, in the real world, it's just a bit of banter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

I've a pal from tallaght who is more culchie than most, he even put Tom up as his picture on fb so he obviously spotted the similarities himself. Else that is his idol he is determined to lend from?!

Though his house and ma are oldschool Roscommon so that environment must have dictated what he is. a culchie! bred, if not born... tbh I wouldn't put up with him any other way.

Ha, ha. I love the way immigrants come over here begging for jobs and begging for help and as soon as they get it and are established, you experience their brass necks. :D
    What? Parisians deride anyone outside Paris with contempt and pure disdain, they call them all inbreds! Much much more cutting than the banter you get here.

Yeah, i worked with a few parisians here in Dublin and they walked around the office like they owned it and only talked with the other french.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

crockholm wrote: »
    I think the only resolution to all this nonsense is a giant faction fight on the curragh, all the dubs can put their collars up and spray themselves with paco-rabane,if you come from a less salubrious area of dublin, then surely one of your betters from SoCoDu can spare a bit and spray you.

Country folk can all wear jumpers with holes in them and spray Hi-Karate on each other, though shuffle the ranks to keep the cork and kerry crowd apart, ditto meath and louth, ditto limerick and clare,ditto,ditto,ditto.

BYO tae & sangwiches/heroin

Music provided by Aslan and Saw Doctors

Everyone good for saturday, bout 1 ish??
    Change the venue to Castlerea, most Dubs will be heading that way on Saturday to visit their relatives

That's wonderful for you, have you traveled around Ireland much?

To be honest, I see more venom the other way... Dublin scum, scumbagville etc... and in fairness, mostly from keyboard warriors on this site! I don't think they'd be as unmannerly in the real world.

It's worse to be called scum than a muck savage, sure did you not know, savage means good! Believe me, in the real world, it's just a bit of banter.

Yep lived in Cork for a few years, in my experience Dubs talk about Cork far more than Corkonians do about Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

snotboogie wrote: »
    Yep lived in Cork for a few years, in my experience Dubs talk about Cork far more than Corkonians do about Dubs.

You're dead right, to prove your point, you're the one doing the talking about them now.

You're dead right, to prove your point, you're the one doing the talking about them now.

I assume you're being sarcastic, I'm from Dublin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'm born and bred in the back arse of nowhere and never had to go to Dublin to buy anything. We've always had shops here. Why do you need to slag culchies? Why don't you slag the Dubs who relocated to the countryside during the boom?

I'd rather have cancer than be a culchie.
    Yiz are generally racist and socially retarded.
    Have no dress sense and bad hygiene.
    My choice wub be to put the wall back up around the pale and for us to rejoin Great Britain. Culchies cud go back to eatin spuds and starvin for all i care.

Banned

• Advertisement

beercr8te wrote: »
    It's a lot easier to drive in London and the UK than it is to drive in Dublin, in my experience.

Only a culchie wud say it's easier to drive in London than Dublin.
    Were ye drivin sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

jasonmcco wrote: »
    I'd rather have cancer than be a culchie.
    Yiz are generally racist and socially retarded.
    Have no dress sense and bad hygiene.
    My choice wub be to put the wall back up around the pale and for us to rejoin Great Britain. Culchies cud go back to eatin spuds and starvin for all i care.

Read the Maggies thread, as the above post needs more bile and angst

Culchies shud not be allowed travel.
    Look at how they are embarrassing us in Australia. No better than animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

What would happen if they cut off our food supply?:eek:

No superquinn sausages, kilmeaden cheese, tipp beef, wicklow lamb, west coast seafood or kerrygold - I dont want to live in such a world!

Read the Maggies thread, as the above post needs more bile and angst

Was gonna mention how it wud have been nice if Hitler won the war and included culchies in his list for extermination but thought that was going too far. But your right i needed more bile so there it is.

What would happen if they cut off our food supply?:eek:

No superquinn sausages, kilmeaden cheese, tipp beef, wicklow lamb, west coast seafood or kerrygold - I dont want to live in such a world!

As i said they can have the spuds we'll take the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Was gonna mention how it wud have been nice if Hitler won the war and included culchies in his list for extermination but thought that was going too far. But your right i needed more bile so there it is.

Lazy now once again with more bile and added vitriol

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Zaph wrote: »
    I have no problem with culchies, my wife is one, but I'm afraid this sort of carry on is inexcusable. Haemorrhoids are funnier.
    Originally Posted by ColeTrain
    I got called "a culchie" a couple of times on Sunday, in the Capital ( all female ) when they heard my accent. Now, my accent could easily be mistaken for a Galway accent which is also a city. I'm sure people neighboring Belfast and Cork have also suffered similar.
    Are these people so stupid and stuck up that they think Dublin is the only city in Ireland? They should hear themselves "fooookin culchieees".

Ah, you see the mistake you're making is thinking that a culchie is from outside an urban area. To us, a person from anywhere outside of Dublin, is a culchie. That they come from a city is irrelevant. It's nothing to do with being stupid or stuck up, but rather your misunderstanding of what Dubs class as culchies.

Unfortunately where the problems start is when a) somebody gets over-sensitive about being called a culchie; or b) when somebody is a being total dick because somebody from outside Dublin has spoken to them or utters something in their earshot. It's like the Dublin northside/southside thing, it's a bit of craic if it's not taken seriously, but some people just don't know when to give it a rest.
    I have lived and worked in Dublin and the surrounding counties for over 40 years. I rarely hear Dubliners use culchie in the real world; in fact, the only place I really see them use it is on Boards.ie, and nearly always in a disparaging way.
    I've never once heard a Dubliner use the term culchie in the workplace; the only people who use it at work are from outside Dublin (urban and rural) and they use it in self-deprecating humour or in a self-identifying way, in much the same way as Irish people use the word paddy. My Dublin friends never use the word (to me at least).

I really think you should reconsider your usage of a synonym of country bumpkin for non-Dubliners; it causes offense -regardless of your intent- to some people and engenders hostility.

Advertisement