Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any ''Real Culchies or Muckers'' Left ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

awec wrote: »
    I had a taxi driver in Galway (county) tell me he was afraid to drive to Dublin because you drive on roads that have 3 lanes going in each direction. Hated doing airport runs.

Too many lanes confused the poor guy. :(

Are there no 3 lane roads outside of Dublin?

It's a lot easier to drive in London and the UK than it is to drive in Dublin, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

That is one thing that defines a bad "culchie" for me - a total underestimation and irrational hatred for one of the best cities in the world. For well - almost everything. Yes we have problems of a city - but for every 1 dodgy Dub there are 99 of the best fun and generous people you will meet.

I love culchies coming up - great laugh with them. No matter how hard they try look like they can't laugh or love it - they always burst their hole laughing at the banter in the end. All culchies love Dublin - some can't show it :)

They love to hate it but any of them who actually live in Dublin, who go out and actually experience the place enjoy themselves. I know loads of people like this; we're jackeen eejits one minute and then all of a sudden they want an apartment in the city.

Shopping on Henry Street then eating in Burger King while on a day trip is not experiencing Dublin. Getting asked for change by a junkie is not a big deal. Country-folk seem to get so wound up about that because they examine the city through a rural lens. Rome, Barcelona, Paris - all the same.

It's not a huge city - no one's saying it is. But big doesn't mean good and small doesn't mean bad. Some of the biggest cities in the word are places I'd never want to visit. And some of the smallest cities are the most popular tourist destinations there are.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Ireland has 1,000's of Culchies, Muckers, Sheep Shaggers, Tractor Jockeys, Snobs, D4's, Junkies, Skobies, Kiddie Fiddlers, Wannabes, West Brits and Euro Normals.

That's what makes us like every country in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You know it's a real culchie thread when everyone talking about Dublin.

The inability to talk about your culture without putting someone down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We're just going to have to sort this out.....the culchie way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just look at all the culchie types at the start of this:D

simpler times simpler people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

What about when RTE broadcasts from down the country, you normally see the place packed with onlookers and gawkers, they just don't put in the effort anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

andym1 wrote: »
    Now they have a big shop beside them, Tesco. Pennys, Easons, Harvey Norman ets.

my nearest tesco or any of these shops would be at least half an hour to be fair :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

dublins a concrete monster..suburbia! the rest of ireland is fields and cow sihte! simpler folk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Ignorant arseholes are ignorant arseholes, regardless whether they're from the bogs of Offaly or the tenements of inner city Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Culchie means Dubs blinkered view of Ireland outside their concrete jungle. Jackeens need to travel more to realize that their little concrete village isn't so sacred after all :D

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Culchie means Dubs blinkered view of Ireland outside their concrete jungle. Jackeens need to travel more to realize that their little concrete village isn't so sacred after all :D

Did you travel much to come to this viewpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I work in technical support, so I know they're out there. I have to deal with them on the phone. I have no idea how they got their hands on technology, but there really are people out there for whom "turn it off, then turn it on again" is "too techie". :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Sam Kade wrote: »

Thank you for demonstrating my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Always found it funny the way Dubliners* viewed us as as untravelled, closed minded, ignorant folk with Redneck traits when they are the ones who have probably only changed address within 10 miles of home, in their entire life. Culchies living in Dublin are probably the most travelled people around considering they have first hand experience of both dimensions.

*=sweeping generalisation, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We are all children of the earth

Here, have some happy pixie dust.... mmmmmm nice pixie dust

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

yesman2000 wrote: »
    Always found it funny the way Dubliners* viewed us as as untravelled, closed minded, ignorant folk with Redneck traits when they are the ones who have probably only changed address within 10 miles of home, in their entire life. Culchies living in Dublin are probably the most travelled people around considering they have first hand experience of both dimensions.

*=sweeping generalisation, of course

This thread has nothing to do with Dubliners or Dublin. Culchies are obsessed.

Shower of minnows.

This thread has nothing to do with Dubliners or Dublin. Culchies are obsessed.

Shower of minnows.

So there has been so discussion around how Dublin people view culchies and vice-versa? Hmm very strange

Minnows meaning exactly ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

yesman2000 wrote: »
    So there has been so discussion around how Dublin people view culchies and vice-versa? Hmm very strange

Minnows meaning exactly ?

You are small fish, you dont even come on our radar.

Dubs are more concerned with the unemployment, drug abuse and anti social issues to even consider you.

Culchies seem to have the luxury to be able to obsess over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Dubs are more concerned with the unemployment, drug abuse and anti social issues to even consider you.

if you ever make it out of Dublin sometime you will see the same problems all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

Only spotted this thread now but id say 90% of the Muckers now live in Perth, Western Australia, if my weekends encounters are anything to go by:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 vincit qui se vincit

Shower of minnows.

Or, as any cultured/culchie Irish person would still call them, pinkeens.

I think the phrase you're probably looking for is "not even in (our) distance"- (KPMG girl, 2012). This is either a very bad wind up on your behalf or else you're an absolute idiot. Probably the former.

As pointed out do we not have the aforementioned social issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

When ever I meet people from Dublin I usually get the culchie lable or nordie. After they ask where am I from and I tell them Donegal a large minority think it is part of Northern Ireland which is irritating(learn your own country's geography). I lived in various large cities throughout the world and Dublin is a small fry in comparrison it's "like" a big town in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

As a Dub I never understood this pathetic, quasi wind up/but actually sort of serious, divisive attitude that has prevailed in the last 10 years. Even Londoners and Parisians, citizens of genuine cultural, political and economic powerhouse world cities, that dominate their nations, don't look at and speak about their fellow countrymen the way we do with the rest of Ireland.

snotboogie wrote: »
    As a Dub I never understood this pathetic, quasi wind up/but actually sort of serious, divisive attitude that has prevailed in the last 10 years. Even Londoners and Parisians, citizens of genuine cultural, political and economic powerhouse world cities, that dominate their nations, don't look at and speak about their fellow countrymen the way we do with the rest of Ireland.

What? Parisians deride anyone outside Paris with contempt and pure disdain, they call them all inbreds! Much much more cutting than the banter you get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Even Londoners and Parisians, citizens of genuine cultural, political and economic powerhouse world cities, that dominate their nations, don't look at and speak about their fellow countrymen the way we do with the rest of Ireland.

Yes they do. Parisians heap scorn on anyone from outside the arrondissements.

I'm a son of the soil living in Dublin. Can't say I've ever felt the need to develop a chip on my shoulder. Grand spot. Lots of pricks living here, but they'd be pricks regardless of where they were born or living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

travel much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What? Parisians deride anyone outside Paris with contempt and pure disdain, they call them all inbreds! Much much more cutting than the banter you get here.

Because Dubs never call those from outside the M50 inbreds! Dubliners call those from outside the Pale savages for gods sake......

• Advertisement

Because Dubs never call those from outside the M50 inbreds! Dubliners call those from outside the Pale savages for gods sake......

Do they really?

Advertisement