Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inept Service professionals

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I have a job but I still wouldn't call myself a professional.
    Do you get paid for it? Then you're a professional. If not, then you're an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Recently went into to pay a bill while in the queue a woman was disgruntled, speaking loudly and aggressively to customers! I couldn't believe it she was bang out of order yet what shocked me most was her that none of the other staff members intervened either a whole queue of people watching while she preceded to humiliate fee paying customers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Do you get paid for it? Then you're a professional. If not, then you're an amateur.

I think that only counts for sport and arts - otherwise the distinction is between a job you're just doing and a job you intend to advance in. So someone who works a short while at a till in a supermarket has a job in retail; if they work up to management level it's a career, therefore a profession.

2¢, open to correction, but some of the snob schtick might be down to terminology. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Gee_G wrote: »
    Mushrooms are one of the best Veg ever!!:D
    Why did the mushroom get invited to the party?

Because he was a funguy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why don't you actually read what people post? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

cuana wrote: »
    Recently went into to pay a bill while in the queue a woman was disgruntled, speaking loudly and aggressively to customers! I couldn't believe it she was bang out of order yet what shocked me most was her that none of the other staff members intervened either a whole queue of people watching while she preceded to humiliate fee paying customers!!
    No one cares about gruntled customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I'm not disputing that, but if you actually read my post, I merely pointed out that the term is not usually associated with that position even if it technically meets the description.

I have a job but I still wouldn't call myself a professional.

Thats you, not the wider world. I did actually read your post, honestly, I didnt just post random words or anything.

"An amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner."

"A professional is a person who is engaged in a certain activity, or occupation, for gain or compensation as means of livelihood; such as a permanent career, not as an amateur or pastime."

No thanks necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

No one cares about gruntled customers.

whoops! I wasn't clear the sales assistant was the one being aggressive and shouting at actual customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If most people had any idea how much stupidity, ignorance, arrogance, condecension, disregard and apathy anybody who works in retail has to put up with on a daily basis, they shouldn't be complaining that a single retail worker was a bit rude to them once, they should be thankful that they made it another day without them snapping, rising up en masse and cleansing the population of anybody who has never worked in the service industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

orestes wrote: »
    If most people had any idea how much stupidity, ignorance, arrogance, condecension, disregard and apathy anybody who works in retail has to put up with on a daily basis, they shouldn't be complaining that a single retail worker was a bit rude to them once, they should be thankful that they made it another day without them snapping, rising up en masse and cleansing the population of anybody who has never worked in the service industry.

I think "Cries of Retail" should be made available to read by anyone it's not available to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Treadhead wrote: »
    I've heard of this happening quite a bit in a certain well known supermarket...

****ty attitude form checkout lady, but hardly ineptitude... More likely woefully inaccurate scales leading to "accidental" overcharging....

Yes, accidental. The store makes an overall loss. Its complicated but basically the cost from a small accounting error is greater than the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Hang on a sec.

You actually agree with me, but think I'm a snob? :confused:

I said you "come across as a snob" i.e. you could be mistaken for a snob for pointing out that technically a shop worker isn't or shouldn't be called a professional. You're technically correct but, lets put it this way, I wouldn't like to go up to any non-professional (non-Doctor, non-Engineer, etc) and say "You are not a professional".

There's too fine a difference between "You are not a professional" and "You are not professional"

Just a question of perception.

Advertisement