Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inept Service professionals

Options
  • 20-03-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Yesterday I bought some groceries in a very well-known supermarket. Two of the items were loose onions and loose mushrooms. The cashier weighed these items at the counter but I noticed the digital scales read 0.89KG of onions and 0.5KG of mushrooms. I knew this could not be right so I said, “I could be wrong but I really doubt there is nearly a kilo of onions there could you way them again please”. She almost split me in two with the look she gave me but she rushed through the process and said you’re right. Then I challenged her on the mushrooms. I was right again. I almost got fleeced because she left half the items I bought on the scales while weighing the veg. completely inept.

Let us know of any experience you have had of ineptitude from service professionals of any sort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ewww, mushrooms. Icky.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Inept professional is a bit of an oxymoron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

A lady once charged my friend €50 for a blow job. He said she never even blew on it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

You went weigh out of your weigh to get her to way them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

wellyhead wrote: »
    Yesterday I bought some groceries in a very well-known supermarket. Two of the items were loose onions and loose mushrooms. The cashier weighed these items at the counter but I noticed the digital scales read 0.89KG of onions and 0.5KG of mushrooms. I knew this could not be right so I said, “I could be wrong but I really doubt there is nearly a kilo of onions there could you way them again please”. She almost split me in two with the look she gave me but she rushed through the process and said you’re right. Then I challenged her on the mushrooms. I was right again. I almost got fleeced because she left half the items I bought on the scales while weighing the veg. completely inept.

Let us know of any experience you have had of ineptitude from service professionals of any sort.

:confused:

I wouldn't use the term "professional" to describe someone working at a cash register.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

what you have for dinner OP

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Zebra3 wrote: »

I wouldn't use the term "professional" to describe someone working at a cash register.

Snob.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Snob.

:rolleyes:

Far from it. I've never heard anyone use the term in that context.

Have you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

You sound like a horrible person OP.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake by someone who had absolutely nothing to gain by overcharging you. Its not too often you'd find the owner of a supermarket chain working at the till and overcharging you for you fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

They're scanning thousands of items a day.
    I think you need some perspective, or else just use the self service tills.

1kg onions are approx €1.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Crockholm goes to a deli counter in SV........

C- "Hello, can I get a sandwich please"

Deli Gal-"Sorry,we stop making sandwiches after 6 o' clock, why? what were you looking for"?

C-"Umm...a sandwich"

DG (with a look of derision)- No, we stop meking those after 6.

Crockholm leaves bemused,yet ultimately sandwichless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Well there's carrying out your job in a professional manner - diligently, etc. Then there's the narrow term we apply to some jobs as "professionals" - doctors, accountants, engineers.

Agree, cash register personnel wouldn't usually fall into the latter catagory but no reason why they would still be professional in manner.

Thing is, with the greatest of respect, you do come across as a snob when you point out what you've pointed out above.

OP - good cathch on the weight. It constantly surprises me how many people don't have a firm grasp of basic weights and measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They could be a Chartered Accountant who once happened to be the highest ranking partner with KPMG until his daughter made a tool of herself in a pizza restaurant.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Whats else would you call someone who gets paid for their job? I lasted a week at a job at a cash register when I was younger, it does take some professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

wellyhead wrote: »
    Then I challenged her on the mushrooms. I was right again.

You should really blog this stuff, priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I always maintain that one's daily life is enriched by a bit of vicarious exasperation about nothing of any consequence whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

crockholm wrote: »
    Crockholm goes to a deli counter in SV........

C- "Hello, can I get a sandwich please"

Somewhat related, I went into a Subway in Houston:
    Me: I'll have a 12 inch Cheese & Ham on rye please
    Server: I' m sorry sir, we only have Ham & Cheese...
    Me: Speechless!

Maybe there is some subtle difference? Or more likely he was just a total plank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm sure it was an honest mistake by someone who had absolutely nothing to gain by overcharging you. Its not too often you'd find the owner of a supermarket chain working at the till and overcharging you for you fruit and veg.

I think it was her attitude that annoyed him, not just her inept technique.

Of course the lesson here is to weigh your own veg. And relax a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Somewhat related, I went into a Subway in Houston:
    Me: I'll have a 12 inch Cheese & Ham on rye please
    Server: I' m sorry sir, we only have Ham & Cheese...
    Me: Speechless!

Maybe there is some subtle difference? Or more likely he was just a total plank

the reliance on set units/packages with barcodes means till workers rarely have to do any calculations. Mine used to go like this:

Me: can I have 25g of Drum please?
    Server: oh, we only have it in 12.5g.
    Me: could I have two of them so please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's attitudes like yours that have the service industry in the state it's in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Sauve wrote: »
    It's attitudes like yours that have the service industry in the state it's in.

The ranks of our service industry will always be filled from the more dulled tools in the box. That's just supply and demand. My attitude won't change that, love.

Pfft, clearly the OP is poor. Superquinn make you weigh your own veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

OldGoat wrote: »
    Ewww, mushrooms. Icky.
    Mushrooms are one of the best Veg ever!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

The ranks of our service industry will always be filled from the more dulled tools in the box. That's just supply and demand. My attitude won't change that, love.

Let me guess- got promoted to 'supervisor' in Aldi, did we? :rolleyes:

Oh and don't call me love again. Bet you're some middle-aged creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gee_G wrote: »
    Mushrooms are one of the best Veg ever!!:D

The best fungus?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

ejmaztec wrote: »

The best fungus?:P
    Ssshh....don't like to think of them like that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

**Vai** wrote: »
    Whats else would you call someone who gets paid for their job? I lasted a week at a job at a cash register when I was younger, it does take some professionalism.

And then you became the Financial regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I've heard of this happening quite a bit in a certain well known supermarket...

****ty attitude form checkout lady, but hardly ineptitude... More likely woefully inaccurate scales leading to "accidental" overcharging....

Well there's carrying out your job in a professional manner - diligently, etc. Then there's the narrow term we apply to some jobs as "professionals" - doctors, accountants, engineers.

Agree, cash register personnel wouldn't usually fall into the latter catagory but no reason why they would still be professional in manner.

Thing is, with the greatest of respect, you do come across as a snob when you point out what you've pointed out above.

Hang on a sec.

You actually agree with me, but think I'm a snob? :confused:
    **Vai** wrote: »

I'm not disputing that, but if you actually read my post, I merely pointed out that the term is not usually associated with that position even if it technically meets the description.

I have a job but I still wouldn't call myself a professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Spare a thought for the people working in retail that have to put up with tossers on a daily basis

Advertisement