Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Results

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Yeah the Germanic and Slavic R1a has been narrowed down a lot

Either way it's great to be in a group that's still being discovered

Just to add, those of us in the subgrouping of the R1a project are closely matched. All it took was one person to come along and 'confuse' us now. It's not necessarily a bunch of this certain r1a that came together...

It's hard to determine if those in the subgroup all descend from the surname I have or did we get it from one of the 3 names tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

keryl wrote: »
    Yeah the Germanic and Slavic R1a has been narrowed down a lot

Either way it's great to be in a group that's still being discovered

Just to add, those of us in the subgrouping of the R1a project are closely matched. All it took was one person to come along and 'confuse' us now. It's not necessarily a bunch of this certain r1a that came together...

It's hard to determine if those in the subgroup all descend from the surname I have or did we get it from one of the 3 names tested.

Are all the other surnames Irish? One thing I noticed in my own subgroup (my closest matches have a Scottish name with a similar Gaelic one to mine) is that matches that are estimated to around the time of surname adoptions have surnames that are way off.
    When looking through a site that had a lot of different results I remember seeing something similar where very different surnames where linked in a time frame where you would expect a similar surname.
    The adoption of surnames seems to have been a bit "unstructured" for want of a better word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

dubhthach wrote: »
    R1a is quite diverse, just like we can argue that R1b is diverse. Here's a great diagram from the R1a1a & Subclades project on FTDNA

R1a-clades_zpsddacae9d.jpg

R1a-L664 (R1a1a1a) is "North-West European" in origin, whereas the Slavic R1a all tends to fall under R1a1a1b*

These are old haplogroups.

The latest Haplogroup R tree from ISOGG can be found here:
    http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html

That's actually the chart I had a look at, keryl is L260 I think.

Yeah L260, that will change though I'm sure.

Other surnames are English and Norman and 'native' Irish.

The native Irish is downstream so can rule that out, also compared to the other project for the name-they are all r1b.
    The Norman could be the originator but this person is the only or only 2/3 that is R1a in a majority r1b and E project.
    The English name is the only R1a in his group.

That said, my name R eaney is different to the others of my surname who are all r1b... We know the origin of most of those though, Ulster-Scots...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Should I be embarrassed, or are there others like me in the same boat, to admit that this whole thread may as well be in Vietnamese or Hindi for all I understand it? :(:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

mod9maple wrote: »
    Should I be embarrassed, or are there others like me in the same boat, to admit that this whole thread may as well be in Vietnamese or Hindi for all I understand it? :(:confused:

The thread is talking about Y-Chromsome Haplogroups. Every man by definition carries a Y-Chromosome. He inherits this from his father who in turn inherited it form his father etc etc.

Men who thus share a common ancestor (male-line) will show similiarity in their Y-Chromosomes, as they would have each inherited their Y from that common ancestor.

mod9maple wrote: »

Embarrassed? not at all. I don't know what I'm on about half the time.

Different strokes etc:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

What about a percentage dna test. Still looking around but can't find one. Found one called dnatribes but was really confusing. Any suggestions?

What about the National Geographic?

They have Northern European, Southern European and say Asia, depending obviously on your ancestry.

So mine was 45% Northern, 35% Southern and 20% Southwest Asia

I take those type tests with a pinch of salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

keryl wrote: »
    What about the National Geographic?

They have Northern European, Southern European and say Asia, depending obviously on your ancestry.

So mine was 45% Northern, 35% Southern and 20% Southwest Asia

I take those type tests with a pinch of salt...

The thing is different tests are trying to tell you different things. The Geno 2.0 test from National Geographic tries to paint a picture of your past that is much more different than 23andMe, for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement