Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New burner for oil - cost

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Plumber serviced my boiler, he said the burner is knackered, quoted me 600e for a new one. Does this sound about right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What boiler is it. I think most are about 300

Did he say why it was knackered or just sed its knackered.

Was it working before the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Plumber serviced my boiler, he said the burner is knackered, quoted me 600e for a new one. Does this sound about right?

More info needed.What burner was quoted for any other works included for price.Without more info it would be unfair to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭clint_silver

ok, fair points, didnt think to ask any of the above of the plumber. Does the same model burner need to go into a boiler thats there already ie, like for like or would he put a cheaper one in? Are they hard to fit?

Ill get the model next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

What make of boiler? Usually, as rightly posted earlier in the thread, a new burner is approx €300 but there are SOME that are significantly more. If you had the boiler make it would help.

Normally like for like. Most are riello burners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

do you mind me asking were you having problems with this burner or was this just advice given to you after a basic service

jimf wrote: »
    do you mind me asking were you having problems with this burner or was this just advice given to you after a basic service

its in a rental property, it was working prior to the service as I had to fix an air blockage in the system recently and was coming on. The burner would be about 16-17 years old.

The plumber came recommended from a family member who used him many times and said he was always reasonable.

if its not broken why fix it

if serviced properly and set up using a fluegas analyser it should still be good for a few more years did you get a printout when the service was completed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I agree with Jim, what did the FGA printout say ??

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

ok, fair points, didnt think to ask any of the above of the plumber. Does the same model burner need to go into a boiler thats there already ie, like for like or would he put a cheaper one in? Are they hard to fit?

Ill get the model next couple of days.

If you can get a photo of it posted someone should be able to identify it

• Advertisement

make and model.

"Amanda ECO"
    rg12877/92

this make sense?

make and model.

"Amanda ECO"
    rg12877/92

this make sense?

maybe this is a bentone model not sure maybe others on here might be able to confirm ser no looks like its 1992 era

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Amanda boilers came with a Bentone B9 or B10 burner. Parts are still available for these burners. The modern replacement Bentone ST burner would be around the €310/€350 mark depending on output.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Amanda boilers came with a Bentone B9 or B10 burner. Parts are still available for these burners. The modern replacement Bentone ST burner would be around the €310/€350 mark depending on output.

thanks johnnie never worked on 1 of these but i thought i seen 1 scrapped at some stage a few years ago and bentone seemed to register for some reason were they a ci boiler

thanks johnnie never worked on 1 of these but i thought i seen 1 scrapped at some stage a few years ago and bentone seemed to register for some reason were they a ci boiler

No they are steel boilers. I prefer Bentone burners to be honest, there solid.

i see very little bentone burners in my neck of the woods unless its a gercros boiler and you could find any burner fitted to these they seemed to keep switching from burner to burner still a few minor 1 hanging around jaysus i hate these with a vengance especially those little grub screws for keeping in the blast tube

All would depend on what else is require when fitting the new burner, hoses, filters, fire valves, but its not just a case of the cost of the burner.
    I personally dont like Bentone burners so i would go for a Riello and an average price i would charge for supply and fit would be around 460/500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I prefer Bentone burners to be honest, there solid.

Ooohhhh, not me, give me a Riello any day! Pain in the backside sometimes winding out the nozzle holder to get at the electrode release nut. Had hardship a few times when it came off the thread and would not re-thread. Then the 4mm hex screw crumbled!

shane0007 wrote: »
    Ooohhhh, not me, give me a Riello any day! Pain in the backside sometimes winding out the nozzle holder to get at the electrode release nut. Had hardship a few times when it came off the thread and would not re-thread. Then the 4mm hex screw crumbled!

Bentone baby:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

New bentones are a lot better to work on than the old ones,and to commission.

Was working on a Lamborghini oil burner yesterday,I will never look at a Lamborghini Diablo the same again.

• Advertisement

All would depend on what else is require when fitting the new burner, hoses, filters, fire valves, but its not just a case of the cost of the burner.
    I personally dont like Bentone burners so i would go for a Riello and an average price i would charge for supply and fit would be around 460/500.

jaysus billy i wish i operated in your part of the world with margins like that

Good few lamborghini gas boiler in cork

I would be €450 for a standard burner. You are not going to stick a new burner into an unserviced boiler, plus a nozzle change to suit the installation, etc.

I might throw in a kiss & a cuddle, but conditions would apply.....

I wish i operated in his plumbers part of the world with margins like his. ;)

So what would you put on it Jim ?

I wish i operated in his plumbers part of the world with margins like his. ;)

So what would you put on it Jim ?

if i tried to charge anymore than 375/400 i would have to throw in the wife as well now theres a thought **** prices are going up tomorrow

if i tried to charge anymore than 375/400 i would have to throw in the wife as well now theres a thought **** prices are going up tomorrow

I would have to throw in the wife at that money because i would be loosing money, i doubt the wife would make me a million either. :eek:

I would be €450 for a standard burner. You are not going to stick a new burner into an unserviced boiler, plus a nozzle change to suit the installation, etc.

I might throw in a kiss & a cuddle, but conditions would apply.....

do you give a discount if the kiss and cuddle option is not taken up

So you go to breakdown. Spend time fault finding to rescue burner. See it needs a new burner. Give it the last rites. Off to suppliers to get new shiney one or pay out your money to stock the various sizes/types. Back to the job. Change the nozzle. Service the boiler complete. All for about €70 less your diesel, van, overheads, insurance, OFTEC, FGA calibration/cell replacements, etc.

Hmmm.... now I put it like that, I think I will put my prices up also and charge for that kiss and cuddle!

I would have to throw in the wife at that money because i would be loosing money, i doubt the wife would make me a million either. :eek:

My wife wouldn't let me do it for that money:D.

I put in a new ST120K last week and including VAT the bill was €500

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... now I put it like that, I think I will put my prices up also and charge for that kiss and cuddle!

Gary71 recons a kiss from you is priceless. ;)

Advertisement