Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek scriptwriting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Defector, love that ep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Voy: In the flesh. The one where they ruin Species 8472 in such an utterly proposterous manner that one can only assume it was on purpose.

They'd shown a hint of thinking outside the usual confines of the Voyager writing box when they came up with 8472 (Fluidic space, the bioships, no verbal communication, undertones of "evil") but to humanise them both literally and figuratively rendered all their malevolance and uniqueness impotent. All it was missing was the crew holding hands with a load of 8472s singing Kumbaya around a campfire. I'd forgotten just how ridiculously bad that one was. In terms of lazy, wreckless and destructive writing this one has to be one of Voyager's biggest sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Goldstein wrote: »
    In terms of lazy, wreckless and destructive writing this one has to be one of Voyager's biggest sins.

Warp 10 lizard babies says hello. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Goldstein wrote: »
    Voy: In the flesh. The one where they ruin Species 8472 in such an utterly proposterous manner that one can only assume it was on purpose.

They'd shown a hint of thinking outside the usual confines of the Voyager writing box when they came up with 8472 (Fluidic space, the bioships, no verbal communication, undertones of "evil") but to humanise them both literally and figuratively rendered all their malevolance and uniqueness impotent. All it was missing was the crew holding hands with a load of 8472s singing Kumbaya around a campfire. I'd forgotten just how ridiculously bad that one was. In terms of lazy, wreckless and destructive writing this one has to be one of Voyager's biggest sins.

Imo species 8472 were Alien rip-offs. The writers were going for something scary in order to replicate the borg effect but just went with the lazy big alien-esque monsters look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Imo species 8472 were Alien rip-offs. The writers were going for something scary in order to replicate the borg effect but just went with the lazy big alien-esque monsters look.

Agreed. Tasked with introducing an alien 'even more powerful than the Borg', the results were, shall we say, pitiful :( They were onto something with fluidic space, but as above, once it went to them disguising themselves as humans (done already with DS9/Changeling's), & Janeway making deals with 8472 etc...the concept was already ruined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Kirby wrote: »
    Warp 10 lizard babies says hello. :P

Ya, that one's top of the tree alright.
    To be fair they all have their fair share of stupid going on: Spock's brain, Move Along Home, Up the Long Ladder, Justice, Rogue Planet, Sub Rosa etc. Luckily most of the time these were just one off brain-fart episodes and didn't have any detrimental impact on the series in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

Khan: He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up!

(Classic stuff, although they did lift most of that from Moby Dick :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

t'pol to her baby;mother's here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fathers not.

Coz they killed him.....for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

in fairness the last episode of enterprise was a complete farce

• Advertisement
Advertisement