Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 3 Boxers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

"Chris Byyyyyyyyyyrd!!! I see you creepin dog! Come on down! I beat yo ass right now!"

What a comedy like, it's a travesty he hasn't been given a pundit job.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭templer27

walshb wrote: »
    The main reason I like him as a fighter, apart from his innate and effortless talent, is his fearless attitude. He feared nobody. I still maintain that of the all the fighters in history, he would be the most difficult of all to get a TKO/KO against. He was so utterly relaxed and sure and confident in the ring.
    What a brilliant boxer, really the man feared no one at all. Ah walshb describes him perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Toney was a warrior, but his gung-ho attitude and unwillingness to get into shape resulted in numerous beatings that should have been avoided. He's fighting again on April 28, his licence should really be revoked. He is pretty badly brain damaged already.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,895 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Toney was a warrior, but his gung-ho attitude and unwillingness to get into shape resulted in numerous beatings that should have been avoided. He's fighting again on April 28, his licence should really be revoked. He is pretty badly brain damaged already.

Apart from Lebedev I can't think of a beating he took. And vs. Lebedev he was a shell. That's the thing with Toney, he'd be so competitive even with very little preparation. Born fighter. It's so much raw skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Apart from Lebedev I can't think of a beating he took. And vs. Lebedev he was a shell. That's the thing with Toney, he'd be so competitive even with very little preparation. Born fighter. It's so much raw skill.

Many think Dave Tiberi beat James Toney in 1992. The decision was dodgy.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    Many think Dave Tiberi beat James Toney in 1992. The decision was dodgy.

Not sure what this has to do with taking a beating? Unless by beating we mean a loss? Jones beat Toney, and it was a clear win, but he didn't beat Toney up. Mike McCallum to some beat Toney, again, didn't beat him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Of all time?

1: Greb
    2: Robinson
    3: Langford

Talk of Ali and SRL in the top three is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Of all time?

1: Greb
    2: Robinson
    3: Langford

Yes, of all time.

Harry Greb was a fine boxer who died far too young.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Yes, of all time.

Harry Greb was a fine boxer who died far too young.

A fine boxer is an understatement my friend! I think he was far and away the greatest boxer of all time.

My favorite three?

1: Alexis Arguello
    2: Roberto Duran
    3: Rocky Marciano

What's incorrect about it?:confused:

• Advertisement

What's incorrect about it?:confused:

Well, if we're talking greatness (of course anybody could be in your top three favorite boxers) then there are a few fighters who are greater than Ali and even more greater than Leonard.

Sugar Ray Leonard isn't the greatest Sugar of all time, Ray of all time, or Leonard of all time.

Well, if we're talking greatness (of course anybody could be in your top three favorite boxers) then there are a few fighters who are greater than Ali and even more greater than Leonard.

In you list, maybe! Ali being top of the list doesn't at all seem out of place. Just like Duran or SRR or Louis et al being top of the list. All great fighters.

Why is Ali top of my list? Well, to me he was the greatest HW ever, and the HW was and is the man who must meet all comers. No other division copmpares in this regard. Hence I add a little extra weight to the great HW men. So, as great as SRR was at his time he was never beating Joe Louis, for example. Or, as great as Hagler was, he was never beating Holmes or Tyson.

In you list, maybe! Ali being top of the list doesn't at all seem out of place. Just like Duran or SRR or Louis et al being top of the list. All great fighters.

Why is Ali top of my list? Well, to me he was the greatest HW ever, and the HW was and is the man who must meet all comers. No other division copmpares in this regard. Hence I add a little extra weight to the great HW men. So, as great as SRR was at his time he was never beating Joe Louis, for example. Or, as great as Hagler was, he was never beating Holmes or Tyson.

So Wladimir Klitschko, to you, right now is a better fighter than Floyd Mayweather and you would rate him higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

1 SRR

2 Roy Jones JR

3 Muhammad Ali

So Wladimir Klitschko, to you, right now is a better fighter than Floyd Mayweather and you would rate him higher?

I said I lend a little bit more weight for the heavies. I never said that I automatically pick them when doing these lists. I did have SRR (a non HW) as number 2. I would rate Floyd above Wladimir. Ali gets number 1 because he was a brilliant HW. The best I have seen. Plus, he also was a HW, meeting all comers. That's the plus bit in my reasoning! Wlad does not make my top ten HWs ever. Nor will he make my top 10 fighters ever.

I said I lend a little bit more weight for the heavies. I never said that I automatically pick them when doing these lists. I did have SRR (a non HW) as number 2. I would rate Floyd above Wladimir. Ali gets number 1 because he was a brilliant HW. The best I have seen. Plus, he also was a HW, meeting all comers. That's the plus bit in my reasoning! Wlad does not make my top ten HWs ever. Nor will he make my top 10 fighters ever.

I get what you mean. But I don't really do that, it isn't my criteria. I judge fighters careers P4P, which is why Greb is the best in my opinion.

I will say though that Roy Jones Jr. Is probably the best filmed fighter of all time.

Advertisement