Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Lowry (Democracy)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mick ah wrote: »
    We could do away with all of the gombeen TDs and save a fortune if we were just ruled directly from Berlin. Cut out the middle man so to speak.

Have you worked out how much that "fortune" would be? It sounds to me like an idea which would be costly to implement initially, the devil is always in the detail so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In fairness to Mattie McGrath - whilst he put himself forward as a local man, he has performed very well on national issues , helping people all over the county.

And he has just as many vowels in his name as any other, which can hardly be held against him. A great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mick ah

TDs gone. TDs' pensions gone. TDs' staff gone. Costly elections gone. Expenses gone. Dail bar gone. Seanad gone.

Hmm, come on folks, brainstorm with me.

Just have the Germans install an administration. Being efficient there'll be less of them. Plus, if we tell them that they're competing with other powers to run the country they'll keep costs down for fear of being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

TDs gone. TDs' pensions gone. TDs' staff gone. Costly elections gone. Expenses gone. Dail bar gone. Seanad gone.

Hmm, come on folks, brainstorm with me.

Just have the Germans install an administration. Being efficient there'll be less of them. Plus, if we tell them that they're competing with other powers to run the country they'll keep costs down for fear of being replaced.

I think you have it all worked out, I withdraw my previous reservations. I can see absolutely no faults with your idea. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

So, completely cut the Irish people out of our governance........not sure that would get much support but as we are almost incidental to the whole debacle except in the event of an election, post which they promptly forget us again, you might be onto something there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Ireland is not a democracy. Just because we don't have the death penalty does not make a country democractic. Ceaucescu seldom if ever used death penalties either - he kept his people down via mostly if not all non-violent means. And Ireland does the same.

The government sells this belief we have to expect less in life, that unemployment is normal, that you have to pay through the roof for common services that are FREE in many other countries, that people pay more tax and get less back. Worse, that we voted AGAINST this in 2011 and it was ignored.

My view is Ireland is run by drug dealers who laundered money in Irish banks and propped up the property boom. Now, the government are in their hands. Watch Love/Hate and you see the fear these can instill in people so the government are then less afraid of the people than the gangsters they got involved with (dating to the Good Friday agreement of 1998 which is around the same time the building boom was launched).

The people need to stand up to this and say no to politicians who bed gangsters and banks who will take money from any scumbag. We need a revolution but we do not want to see it hijacked by organised crime like those in Iran, Russia and the like were. That's what we already have and tried to vote out of office in 2011.

ANY politician who cuts back on the people, reneges on election promises, tries to shift the blame to someone else (all too often, the Troika are handy to blame for Irish dictators who want to impose undemocratic unpopular rules) and keeps a fine salary does not deserve our vote and should instead be imprisoned for corruption, treason, lying, protecting the crime world and manslaughter (for suicides caused by their policies). When you see Lowry top the poll, it is very distressing that they can STILL fool an angry people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What saints did you elect for your area?
    Much as you'd like it to be so, I'm afraid few public representatives are as corrupt as Lowry. Bertie and Haughey yadda yadda - still only one area of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

As a north tipp man, would like to point out one thing about the last election. Lowry got 14,000 votes, so that means there was a total of 34,000 people that didnt vote for him!! We are not all fooled by him down here............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

seanl77 wrote: »
    As a north tipp man, would like to point out one thing about the last election. Lowry got 14,000 votes, so that means there was a total of 34,000 people that didnt vote for him!! We are not all fooled by him down here............

This post cheers me up a bit. I would love someone to have the balls to launch a motion in the Dail for his expulsion - one that would actually be adhered too. Say what you want about the UK, but if someone as dispicably hideous as Lowry was in parliament they'd have been hounded out by now. His mere presence in Leinster House is a throwback to the brown envelope days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

keano_afc wrote: »
    I would love someone to have the balls to launch a motion in the Dail for his expulsion - one that would actually be adhered too. Say what you want about the UK, but if someone as dispicably hideous as Lowry was in parliament they'd have been hounded out by now. His mere presence in Leinster House is a throwback to the brown envelope days.

The Oireachtas has no power to expel members. You'd need to change the constitution in order to be able to make this happen.

The most they can do is pass of motion of censure, which is essentially a slap on the wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

The Oireachtas has no power to expel members. You'd need to change the constitution in order to be able to make this happen.

The most they can do is pass of motion of censure, which is essentially a slap on the wrist.

More of the same from the broken system, you have to ask, is it really broken or secure?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

keano_afc wrote: »
    This post cheers me up a bit. I would love someone to have the balls to launch a motion in the Dail for his expulsion - one that would actually be adhered too. Say what you want about the UK, but if someone as dispicably hideous as Lowry was in parliament they'd have been hounded out by now. His mere presence in Leinster House is a throwback to the brown envelope days.

True, they all use paypal now

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hijpo wrote: »
    More of the same from the broken system, you have to ask, is it really broken or secure?

As it happens, there would be strong arguments against changing the constitution in this respect. There would be some concern about it being abused. And a lot may feel that the only people who should be allowed send a TD packing are the electorate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Democracy has never worked in Ireland. We seldom vote for the best person for the job preferring to vote for the likeable cute hoor.
    Lowry is a case in point. The tribunals were damning of him but he still gets huge amounts of first preference votes. I think he is seen as 'sticking it to those lads in Dublin' similar to Healy Ray, Cooper Flynn, Mick Wallace et al.

So yeah we get the government we deserve. Everyone knew that FF were mis-manageing the economy but as long as the money kept rolling in noone cared. I don't think I would agree with a dictator as a previous poster mentioned but I would agree with corruption being made a capital offence with guaranteed prison time for even low level corruption (such as sorting out planning permission or bumping names on lists).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We could do away with all of the gombeen TDs and save a fortune if we were just ruled directly from Berlin. Cut out the middle man so to speak.
    german politicians are quite corrupt speaking to a friend in the UN

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

seanl77 wrote: »

14000, is a very large vote for an independent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Mattie mcgraths comments on drink driving last yr showed him for what exactly he is

A clueless backward fool who only got in from fixing the potholes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Proportional Representation Democracy and the split up of the electoral regions are the problems at play here imo.

You don't fix the local potholes in a village of 3k people and instead focus on building a motorway that benefits a region of maybe ten times that many and quite simply you don't get in next time. It's a vicious circle that puts local issues in the way of national issues and the greater good of the Irish community as a whole.

Transportation is a brilliant example of this at work; look how much money was pissed away on the likes of Galway Airport in subsidies etc and when push came to shove the local community just ignored it. Money that would have been far better spent ensuring the full length of the Limerick to Galway motorway was completed which would have put people in around Galway Airport catchment area between 45m - 1.5hrs of a purpose built International Airport with direct links to Boston for example which would be attractive to the folks in Boston Scientific or is a preclearance flight away from a short hop domestic to Minneapolis which I'm sure the Medtronic people wouldn't mind having as an option. Door to door from Galway, Ireland to Fridley MN in something like 12hrs or less.

But sure the greater good can go **** itself if we can skim a bit off the top for ourselves in expenses and pensions because I took care of the road outside Bridie's house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cson wrote: »
    Transportation is a brilliant example of this at work; look how much money was pissed away on the likes of Galway Airport in subsidies etc and when push came to shove the local community just ignored it. Money that would have been far better spent ensuring the full length of the Limerick to Galway motorway was completed which would have put people in around Galway Airport catchment area between 45m - 1.5hrs of a purpose built International Airport with direct links to Boston for example which would be attractive to the folks in Boston Scientific or is a preclearance flight away from a short hop domestic to Minneapolis which I'm sure the Medtronic people wouldn't mind having as an option. Door to door from Galway, Ireland to Fridley MN in something like 12hrs or less.

This is all very true, and Knock has just demanded €75m over 5 years to balance the subsidy pot out for themselves ( only recently)

I am minded to reduce the Dáil to 120 TDs from 10 seat constituencies x 12 nationally and then to reduce the cabinet and junior ministerial ranks to no more than 12 EACH out of that 120 and reintroduce the parliamentary secretary role for each department ( TD + €12k supplement) ....so that is 36 posts out of the 61 in a majority that dominates the Dáil.

Oh and Abolish the Seanad, I really don't know what is worse...subsidising Galway Airport or subsidising Fidelma Healy Eames...and please note I live in Galway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Madam_X wrote: »
    Much as you'd like it to be so, I'm afraid few public representatives are as corrupt as Lowry. Bertie and Haughey yadda yadda - still only one area of Ireland.

Surely Bertie, Burke and in particular Haughey put Lowry in the ha penny place. Dublin produced most of the corrupt politicians in the last few decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

14000, is a very large vote for an independent.

It certainly is, i assume he kept a lot of his FG support when he walked the plank from them. North tipp always has a large voter turnout as well, over 75% in the last election which i think was the highest in the country. I hope to god things change in the next election, but i very much doubt it!

Advertisement