Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young atheists coming out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is there still any stigma against atheistic beliefs now?

YES if you are trying to get your child enrolled in one of the 98% of primary schools controlled by a religion.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I think that may be pushing it. Atheism was never a problem for myself or my brothers in our schools and they were one country Dominican all girls school, one country de la salle/vec school and one Dublin Protestant school. In some schools maybe but definitely not all.

I don't think people need to "come out" nowadays. I never assume that someone is religious and sm usually more surprised if they are than not. Most of my friends would be agnostic or atheist.

This isn't the old Ireland that it was. Not for my generation. Religion, or non-religion, just doesn't have the same significance that it did.

In my opinion anyway. That could all have been influenced by my non-religious upbringing too.

I have two teen age kids currently in school and unfortunately it still an issue.

Advertisement