Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young atheists coming out

Options
  • 15-03-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

A young member of atheist ireland facebook page want to start a page for young people exploring atheism and/or coming out. Would this board be able to assist in publicising?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Said young member can post here anytime. :)

No doubt if there's a website worth giving a shout out for it can have its own thread. I'd request when the time comes that poster would run it past the forum mods here first.

We're not in the business of *publicising* but if its something relevant then well and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

How young is young?

*soon comes the awkward moment when Galvasean learns that he is no longer young, cool and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Teens often come out at Atheist and Agnostics in school and are dismissed and derided by teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Morag wrote: »
    Teens often come out at Atheist and Agnostics in school and are dismissed and derided by teachers.

I don't really feel like it's such a big deal in Ireland anymore. Out the countreh it could happen alright but for the most part it's no longer taboo here.

There was really very little hubbub about it in my school. When I was 16 the Dawkins driven wave of atheism hit the school and any lingering bits of silliness about people who were atheist faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

I openly said in 1982 aged 16 , in religion class one day , in large countryside school after hearing the teacher drone on about something God said in the old testament , and not being able to take anymore .....

' do you people SERIOUSLY believe this b0ll0x ? '

thats how i rolled ...

caused quite a stir at the time , I couldn't understand the fuss .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

my religion teacher hated me, cos I asked questions she couldnt answer. great craic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Galvasean wrote: »
    How young is young?

*soon comes the awkward moment when Galvasean learns that he is no longer young, cool and fun.

Don't worry, you're nowhere near old enough to not say young anymore ;) I totally stretched out the young, cool and fun thing till last year. Actually, I'm pretty sure I gave up on "young" around the same time as my eldest started posting up on here.....

Young atheist thread here on A&A would be a winner I'd say. My young fella reads threads here all the time but rarely posts his (very opinionated!) opinions for fear of the grown-ups demolishing his arguments.....Would do no harm to have a young and sticky thread?? (couldn't resist, no offence young uns:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Obliq wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're nowhere near old enough to not say young anymore ;) I totally stretched out the young, cool and fun thing till last year. Actually, I'm pretty sure I gave up on "young" around the same time as my eldest started posting up on here.....

Young atheist thread here on A&A would be a winner I'd say. My young fella reads threads here all the time but rarely posts his (very opinionated!) opinions for fear of the grown-ups demolishing his arguments.....Would do no harm to have a young and sticky thread?? (couldn't resist, no offence young uns:D)

I can hear the boots at your door.... :pac:

Ah no. He's away for the weekend :P Say nothing. Carry on.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm 31 and I'm still less mature than half the kids leaving secondary school. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

krudler wrote: »
    my religion teacher hated me, cos I asked questions she couldnt answer. great craic :pac:

I had even more craic my religion teacher was also my geography teacher....

Talk about contradictions,one day I brought up the Gunflint cherts in religion :)

Went down like a ton of bricks :)

Can we start a group called 'Youth Offense"?

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't really feel like it's such a big deal in Ireland anymore. Out the countreh it could happen alright but for the most part it's no longer taboo here.

There was really very little hubbub about it in my school. When I was 16 the Dawkins driven wave of atheism hit the school and any lingering bits of silliness about people who were atheist faded.

I am in the middle of running battles with the boards of management and staff of my kids secondary school over issues relating to them being an atheist and an agnostic and we live in Dublin, so it's not just down the country and it's not a thing of the past.

Can we start a group called 'Youth Offense"?

This... This is the greatest idea in the history of everything ever. It MUST come to pass. Needs a logo first. Anyone able to draw up a foetus with a handgun/dildo/copy of The God Delusion in its hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Sarky wrote: »
    This... This is the greatest idea in the history of everything ever. It MUST come to pass. Needs a logo first. Anyone able to draw up a foetus with a handgun/dildo/copy of The God Delusion in its hand?

How about a dildo, shaped like a semi-automatic, with the text of TGD written along the sides.

And a strand of the Hitch's hair as the core.

Stand back ladies, when this thing goes off, anything could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

alphabeat wrote: »
    I openly said in 1982 aged 16 , in religion class one day , in large countryside school after hearing the teacher drone on about something God said in the old testament , and not being able to take anymore .....

' do you people SERIOUSLY believe this b0ll0x ? '

thats how i rolled ...

caused quite a stir at the time , I couldn't understand the fuss .

"something god said"... Is that the intentional ignorance??

Leave out the gun. The American fundies that fund the pro-life campaign love guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Didnt know we had to 'come out', actually not comfortable about that notion at all. Makes us sound like a minority thats been hiding something. I suppose if i did 'come out' it was in 6th year religion class and the teacher asked me outright if i believed in god. Cant remember why she did, had gotten in trouble with her a few times for making critical comments about muslims that 'offended' her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I don't think she wanted to "come out". She is 15 and likes to chat, discuss atheism with people her own age.

I think that is a good idea as many get hell (no pun intended ;-)) at school and they might be able to support each other

Leave out the gun. The American fundies that fund the pro-life campaign love guns.

Two foetuses getting gay married then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

With Dawkins performing the ceremony.

Hard to draw that without making them look like conjoined twins in the womb. I reckon a foetus with a rabbit (and not the fluffy kind) riding on a evolution-fish symbol would send out the right message?

Child marriage? Sounds a bit Catholic churchy to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is there still any stigma against atheistic beliefs now? Coming out makes it seem like there are actual consequences for not believing in any god in Ireland in 2013... bollox to that belief...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

245500.png

sorry

iDave wrote: »
    Didnt know we had to 'come out', actually not comfortable about that notion at all. Makes us sound like a minority thats been hiding something. I suppose if i did 'come out' it was in 6th year religion class and the teacher asked me outright if i believed in god. Cant remember why she did, had gotten in trouble with her a few times for making critical comments about muslims that 'offended' her.

I think it is a case of coming out when people assume you are at least christian by defualt. Was talking to someone from Muldova who has been there for the last 5 years and said I was the first irish person he has spoken to who has said they are not christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

****ing hell, that foetus looks like it just came out of "Aliens"!

OH EXPLOITABLE.

Thanks, I think I'll find a use for that every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Popinjay wrote: »
    How about a dildo, shaped like a semi-automatic, with the text of TGD written along the sides.
    The full text? It would be an unfeasibly large dildo, so
    Popinjay wrote: »
    And a strand of the Hitch's hair as the core.
    Memorialising Christopher Hitchens in a dildo? That does rather lend itself to misinterpretation, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Morag wrote: »

I think that may be pushing it. Atheism was never a problem for myself or my brothers in our schools and they were one country Dominican all girls school, one country de la salle/vec school and one Dublin Protestant school. In some schools maybe but definitely not all.

I don't think people need to "come out" nowadays. I never assume that someone is religious and sm usually more surprised if they are than not. Most of my friends would be agnostic or atheist.

This isn't the old Ireland that it was. Not for my generation. Religion, or non-religion, just doesn't have the same significance that it did.

In my opinion anyway. That could all have been influenced by my non-religious upbringing too.

Advertisement