Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Partridge Film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

green_bow wrote: »
    the 2002 series is awful compared to the original 1994 and follow up 1997 series , awful

Yeah but why though? Steve Coogan or the writer not liking it isn't a reason in my opinion.

And also .....the South African dude scene with the car lights and Alan rolling an orange down the "table" to coincide with the other guy lifting up his cup is a small moment of comic genuis for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm Alan Partridge series 2 is AS good as series 1 for me.

"I've got your kids, Dan"
    "Lynn, I've pierced my foot on a spiiiiike"
    "Visit to your mother's grave, then “Doctor No”. The underground base of an evil genius… and then “Doctor No”.

Too many to even scrape the surface of of good Series 2 was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I love it.... in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sordid little grief hole

"Do you ever shave your crackling?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Season 2 was muck compared to the genius that was Season 1 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

We need to stop slating Alan Partridge series..... its just wrong

What would Bill Oddie think of this whole mess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

sordid little grief hole

"Infected spinal column in a bap".

That conversation between 2 of my heroes, Alan Partridge and Chris Morris.

Steve Coogan not really a hero but there you go. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Grayditch wrote: »
    "Lynn, I've pierced my foot on a spiiiiike"
    "Lynn some of these people have come from Stoke."

"You couldn't present a.... cat."

Personally I think people who don't like Series 2 are sa-a-aaaad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

series 2 is brill

here's my highlight, when Alan meets Dan :)

brilliant comedy writing

One of my favourite lines from S2 was from Michael.

"I done a bit better than a cuddle last night, I had full sex with a woman" :D

Beefy78 wrote: »
    One of my favourite lines from S2 was from Michael.

"I done a bit better than a cuddle last night, I had full sex with a woman" :D

I love the bit after.

Sonja: Alan, I'm not going to sleep in Lynn's dead Mum's bed.
    Alan: Well, Michael did something similar last night, and he's very pleased.

****ing hell, how do people not love Series 2?!

Michael: I mean, she's a bit older than me like, she's 60

Alan: 60?

Michael: Aye, what's wrong with that? Same age difference as you and Sonja.

Alan: Yeah, that's just wrong. Shouldn't do it the other way round

Michael: We did.

Michael: It was sort of like a SAS operation, you know. Your mission - gan till Cardiff, have full sex with a woman, come back on the coach. Sort of like Operation Bravo Two Zero

Alan: I think in your case Michael it was Bravo Six Zero.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Awww, all the good Partridge quotes are taken: how else can I surmise my enjoyment of the film without a witty quote that reflects my thoughts? :D

In any case, I enjoyed the film immensely tbh; hard not to get ones hopes up with the general praise floating around, but for once the hype is generally well deserved. I would broadly agree that Alans rough edges have been smoothed off a little, but in terms of where the character is at the moment, is that entirely unreasonable? Unlike his moribund daily life during the TV series, he's actually doing ok for himself and seems more content than when he was on the box; there's certainly less of the pathetic career desperation you saw during the two series. He has a decent (if sponsored :D) car, a nice house and a reasonable timeslot at the station...

On a side note, but related: how have people been seeing this? I decided to go during the morning (have this week off), figuring on a nice quiet cinema & cheap seats. And while there were about 20 people in the Cineworld screen, the lack of hearty laughter from a packed crowd kind of dimmed the experience a little. I could hear people chuckling, but a funny comedy is one of the few times you're probably better off being in a full house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Dan, Dan, Daaaaaaaaan

"The chickens are scared"

Michael talking about getting an army chopper and flying around killing his mate, then crashing into the sea

Alan's biggest fan

Ladyboy the drink

pixelburp wrote: »
    On a side note, but related: how have people been seeing this? I decided to go during the morning (have this week off), figuring on a nice quiet cinema & cheap seats. And while there were about 20 people in the Cineworld screen, the lack of hearty laughter from a packed crowd kind of dimmed the experience a little. I could hear people chuckling, but a funny comedy is one of the few times you're probably better off being in a full house...

Completely agree. I saw it in Leicester Square in London on opening night and there wasn't a spare seat in the house. It was the best atmosphere I've experienced at a cinema since South Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

i agree too, a packed house is best for a comedy it adds to the enjoyment

a empty one is best for a thriller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Ohhhhh... butter my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Completely agree. I saw it in Leicester Square in London on opening night and there wasn't a spare seat in the house. It was the best atmosphere I've experienced at a cinema since South Park.

Not my words Michael, they are the words of shakin Stevens

• Advertisement

Some deleted scenes for Series 2, to whet the appetite for anyone still waiting to see the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

quarryman wrote: »
    Season 2 was muck compared to the genius that was Season 1 IMO.

He wrote the first season over there, and the second season....over there

Saw this earlier and really enjoyed it. It's one of the most consistently amusing films I've seen in quite some time and it is one of the rare times when the presence of Colm Meaney didn't annoy me. Alan was his usual great self and had a number of inspired one liners and great sight gags. The ending did play out for a bit longer than needs be but the Falling Down inspired boardwalk jump was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Cock. Piss. Partridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I loved MMM and the series could be very funny sometimes. Went to the cinema and as soon as it started I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy it. I thought it was awful, really bad, and was very disappointed. Ridiculous slapstick mostly and a few mildly amusing bits of dialogue. I really don't know why it's getting all this adulation, I think a lot of people have this thing where AP can do no wrong at all, like a revered cult type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"Ruby grapefruit juice. I brought over the jug in case it all got quoffed by R2D2 over there."

"eh...ya blonde bastard...from the future."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Wattle wrote: »
    Cock. Piss. Partridge.

Scum. Subhuman scum.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Im just watching series 2 again on Netflix, incredible stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

"Ruby grapefruit juice. I brought over the jug in case it all got quoffed by R2D2 over there."

"eh...ya blonde bastard...from the future."

Tea or coffee. Tea or coffee. Two teas please.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I loved MMM and the series could be very funny sometimes. Went to the cinema and as soon as it started I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy it. I thought it was awful, really bad, and was very disappointed. Ridiculous slapstick mostly and a few mildly amusing bits of dialogue. I really don't know why it's getting all this adulation, I think a lot of people have this thing where AP can do no wrong at all, like a revered cult type thing.

You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth. And the plums have mutated and they've got beaks.

Advertisement