Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This is a great chart for the Irish east coast, nice gradient and cold uppers.

I expect Dublin City and suburbs to finally get snow-cover in the coming days :)

Rtavn721.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I expect Dublin City and suburbs to finally get snow-cover in the coming days :)

Rtavn721.png
    With all that rain coming in during the end of the week whats possibility for southern parts of snow from that??

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Rtavn721.png

Hi WC, what percentage would you put that snow cover at ? Are we looking at greater than 80% ? :rolleyes:

D

derekon wrote: »
    Hi WC, what percentage would you put that snow cover at ? Are we looking at greater than 80% ? :rolleyes:

D

Yes i would say 80%. Now probably won't amount to much! But i would put 80% chance of snow cover of 1-3cm during the coming few days. 50% of 4-7cm and 30% of 8-12cm.

(Monday-Friday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Yes i would say 80%. Now probably won't amount to much! But i would put 80% chance of snow cover of 1-3cm during the coming few days. 50% of 4-7cm and 30% of 8-12cm.

(Monday-Friday)
    Just saw some snow in the wind here in gal way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

rc28 wrote: »
    Seriously, can anyone guess at when we might see the sun again? 5 solid days of depressing cloud is really getting to me. I can take the cold (even if it is almost April) as long as we get sunshine. An app on my phone seems to think it will be cloudy here for another 6 days :eek:

Anyone got an opinion on this - when we might see sunshine again? WC - do you think the skies might clear up somewhat tomorrow once that front sinks south?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We need the front to move south and it is slowly doing so, Expect some light snow showers to pepper area of the north Irish sea coasts from later tonight and through tomorrow, to set the scene for the next few days.

Yip.

Already skies are clearing over the eastern Irish Sea - see http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

...and...

...if you look at the ME radar, you can clearly see new showers (rather than the remains of the frontal stuff) develop over Liverpool Bay.

1.7c DP -1.3c here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

So GFS 12z is out. Definite changes regards next weekend. Much less progressive. However, it corrected almost south and west to the point where very little frontal precip makes it to us, and by the time it begins to make inroards, its messy and the front just seems to break up the charts. Still though, it delivers snow, and I'd suspect more snow than what GFS precip. charts suggest, as they have the front turning to rain ahead of the 0c 850 line, and as we saw the days just gone by, this isn't always going to be the case needing a certain level of cold in regards to 850's. Plenty of changes ahead, if we can get further southerly corrections when the low is actually close to us, bring in a more Easterly wind, the 0c boundary mark would get pushed back, more snow for more people.

UKMO looks good, although we ca really see what happens between 120-144, looks like a portion of the low broke away at 120, and ends up East of England at 144?? Looks like that to me, so frontal snow again a risk.

GFS is a great run synoptic wise post +190, but with depleting cold pool at this point, it's less interesting and by the time cold rebuilds, the high is in the wrong place and sends the cold into Europe, all irrelevant at this time frame though!

Late next week is the one to watch. Game back on for a longer period of frontal snow compared to the 6z, although precip is less widespread and lasting. Fascinating model watching coming up, may not happen at all! :D

Bring on ECM.

(Monday-Friday)

Cheers WC, I suppose a few centimeters is better than nothing! :)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

gally74 wrote: »
    Just saw some snow in the wind here in gal way
    Same here in Westport.Very light snow in the wind.Barely noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Sky has turned a lot darker in the last few minutes. Dublin 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Anyone got an opinion on this - when we might see sunshine again? WC - do you think the skies might clear up somewhat tomorrow once that front sinks south?

Hey RC29 , tuesday looks good for a sight of some sun , with possible intermittent showers in the east. :) . Wednesday similar..

[IMG][/img]246229.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sky has turned a lot darker in the last few minutes. Dublin 6
    Sorry if i sound like a smart arse,but its getting later in the day all the cloud cover will appear to get darker;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cheers Ian! I'm going mad here without any sunshine. I think I must be descended from a lizard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Cheers Ian! I'm going mad here without any sunshine. I think I must be descended from a lizard!!

We are all descended from the lizards of about 300 million years ago :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Rougies wrote: »
    We are all descended from the lizards of about 300 million years ago :P

I was thinking about 500 million years ago.

If we had this at 48hrs a few years ago we would be 500 pages into this thread!

Recm482.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Recm482.gif

Only interesting for eastern areas. Or am I wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

RTE Six One news weather forecast talking of Rain now later in the week
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

RTE Six One news weather forecast talking of Rain now later in the week
    :confused:

It said rain,sleet and possibly snow. They can't anything else at this early stage

• Advertisement

Recm482.gif

What is this chart saying WC? Heavy snow for the east on Tuesday?

D

Another incredible ECM with the cold clawing on through to Easter with ever increasing snow risk.

Unbelievable.

Another incredible ECM with the cold clawing on through to Easter with ever increasing snow risk.

Unbelievable.

Super run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

John.Icy wrote: »
    Super run.

But we've been here SOOO many times before this winter.

We either have the cold, and no precipitaiton, or no cold (or at least sub zero dew points) and plenty of rain!

compsys wrote: »

But we've been here SOOO many times before this winter.

We either have the cold, and no precipitaiton, or no cold (or at least sub zero dew points) and plenty of rain!

Your time will come Compsys :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

John.Icy wrote: »
    Your time will come Compsys :D:D

Lol. I hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I know where the back door is at this stage if I'm fed up with things, but this winter has been SOO tantalizingly close to being epic that it's so sad (for snow lovers at least) that so little snow has fallen (around Dublin at least). If makes you wonder how long we want things to go on.

Anyway, if this year has taught us anything it's that the people who say each year that February is the start of spring and that it's too late for decent snow in February haven't a clue what they're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lads Lads Lads, Dont get me wrong i would love snow before rain any day but dont get yourselves jiggy about this, you just know it'll turn its back on ye as usual and give you nothing but rainy depression :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Lads Lads Lads, Dont get me wrong i would love snow before rain any day but dont get yourselves jiggy about this, you just know it'll turn its back on ye as usual and give you nothing but rainy depression :(.

We have cold air over the U.K. to feed off this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Little bit of snizzle when i was passing through ClareGalway a short while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

We have cold air over the U.K. to feed off this time.

Yeah but that will probably shoot off to the north with a big F.U ireland just as the rain reaches the south coast, i refuse to believe we'll get anything until i look out the window and see it :cool:.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement