Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraher Field - Disgrace

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yes I'm from Cavan - I've been to Fraher field twice, actually played on it too!!

I didn't call it a deathtrap - that was another poster. But I do believe that the banks are dangerous at the Fraher field as they are at other grounds - they have no place in a modern county ground. I'm not sure why they are still open if Tailteann had to close the grass banks.

We can't afford to close them. I can see the difference between a stadium that has 20,000 with banks and one that holds about 7,500, maybe a little more but one that has it's capacity tested once in a blue moon. At the same time I can understand the double standard the one would have to close it's banks and another not have to.

I do feel though, that people are trying to use what has been described as happening Sunday as some sort of basis for an argument against banks at stadiums when this has nothing to do really with the issue detailed in the OP. It was quite clearly an issue with the stewards. I've never seen an incident in Fraher Field, and I've been there a lot. I would have to say that if there was to be an issue I can't see it being the fault of the banks but rather the personnel involved.

I would say that the stadium is sub-par by modern standards, no question about it but I really don't see the danger. Each individual case on its own merits, I've never been to Navan or Newbridge so I dunno what they're like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

We can't afford to close them. I can see the difference between a stadium that has 20,000 with banks and one that holds about 7,500, maybe a little more but one that has it's capacity tested once in a blue moon. At the same time I can understand the double standard the one would have to close it's banks and another not have to.

I will have to bow to your knowledge on that - I'm not sure if Fraher Field is the designated county ground. I am against grassbanks as I view them as dangerous and it should be the same for all - but am against the argument that Tailteann should be allowed use them becasue the Fraher Field does.. That's why I commented on this - its a ludicrous argument.
    I do feel though, that people are trying to use what has been described as happening Sunday as some sort of basis for an argument against banks at stadiums when this has nothing to do really with the issue detailed in the OP. It was quite clearly an issue with the stewards. I've never seen an incident in Fraher Field, and I've been there a lot. I would have to say that if there was to be an issue I can't see it being the fault of the banks but rather the personnel involved.

Agreed - the original issue highlighted was with the stand and the lack of stewarding.
    I would say that the stadium is sub-par by modern standards, no question about it but I really don't see the danger. Each individual case on its own merits, I've never been to Navan or Newbridge so I dunno what they're like.

I'm sure that some sort of risk assessment was used to decide this - although I can see what Hammer Archer is getting at re another agenda at play. Given some of the horrific tragedies involved in stadia (thankfully none in this country) erring on the side of caution is the way to go. But I do see the difference between a grass bank being used for a league game and being open for a big championship full house game like tailteann or newbridge would get if they were allowed at full capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I will have to bow to your knowledge on that - I'm not sure if Fraher Field is the designated county ground. I am against grassbanks as I view them as dangerous and it should be the same for all - but am against the argument that Tailteann should be allowed use them becasue the Fraher Field does.. That's why I commented on this - its a ludicrous argument.

Agreed - the original issue highlighted was with the stand and the lack of stewarding.

I'm sure that some sort of risk assessment was used to decide this - although I can see what Hammer Archer is getting at re another agenda at play. Given some of the horrific tragedies involved in stadia (thankfully none in this country) erring on the side of caution is the way to go. But I do see the difference between a grass bank being used for a league game and being open for a big championship full house game like tailteann or newbridge would get if they were allowed at full capacity.

What would your view be on County Championship games? Do you think they should be allowed use the banks for those?

Agreed re the bold part, bit like saying that every stadium in Ireland should have a big screen just because Croker has one.

Maybe the grass banks are potentially dangerous, I wouldn't argue strongloy against that because I know of another ground in Waterford that has a bank that is shaded by trees and even in fine weather the terrain isn't great.

With regard to Fraher Field it's purely a case that I've never seen an accident there, or noticed something that looked potentially dangerous about the place. The only thing I could think of is the children hurting themselves but as I said I reckon that'd be worse if they fell in the stand.

What would your view be on County Championship games? Do you think they should be allowed use the banks for those?

I would say it depends on the attendance -to my mind grassbanks are generally steep and lethal when wet. There has to be a critical mass of when a few people slipping on them could do a lot of damage - it would be like skittles and you can see the potential for injuries and compo claims for the gaa - all it takes is one incident and they will be closed in every ground in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I would say it depends on the attendance -to my mind grassbanks are generally steep and lethal when wet. There has to be a critical mass of when a few people slipping on them could do a lot of damage - it would be like skittles and you can see the potential for injuries and compo claims for the gaa - all it takes is one incident and they will be closed in every ground in the country.

Its all as a result of the compo culture.

10-15 years ago if a kid or adult slipped on grass banks and hurt themselves, the county board would probably get away without having to pay anything.

Nowadays with the legal professions compo culture, a simple slip could easily result in a massive insurance payout and a further increase in terms of public liability insurances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

IMO,it has nothing to do with compo culture. 10/15 years ago,health and safety officers were seen only in offices and fairly scarce on site so to speak. thankfully this is changing,slowly i know.
    the idea of using razor wire to keep back the animals from invading a pitch is draconian,yet up until a few years ago was seen in a lot of Gaa grounds.

Stewarding has improved, ironic i know lol that this thread is about poor stewarding,but there are some good ones,its just the bad ones need to be reported and weeded out,and i would encourage OP and anyone else to report your experiences.

Are grass banks in sports stadiums illegal? im may be wrong,but i think there is some law somewhere outlawing them??

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Its all as a result of the compo culture.

10-15 years ago if a kid or adult slipped on grass banks and hurt themselves, the county board would probably get away without having to pay anything.

Nowadays with the legal professions compo culture, a simple slip could easily result in a massive insurance payout and a further increase in terms of public liability insurances.

Thats a big part of it but after hillsborough and other tragedies in other sports the health and safety aspect has improved immesaurably too.

Are grass banks in sports stadiums illegal? im may be wrong,but i think there is some law somewhere outlawing them??

I'm not sure but i'd say they are all covered under health and safety regulations. Individual sports body such as FIFA IRFU etc may have banned them..

Advertisement