Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely cheap prescription glasses.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Daisies wrote: »
    That's a prescription for contact lenses so you need to get your glasses prescription

Thanks Daisy!
    Will get back on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Great post OP,need new glasses,will defo use this.
    A question though,how do you determine the fit,had to get my last pair adjusted a couple of times before i was totally happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I've bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni optical. Just be careful of the measurements - get out a ruler and measure a pair of glasses that fit comfortably on you and choose the same frame width. I got stung before buying glasses that were too tight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

rod1983 wrote: »
    I went into Vision Express and was told it was illegal for them to give me my pd. I questioned it and asked to cancell my dd with them after saying it was ridiculous that it was illegal to get my own personal prescription they gave it to me. Cancelled dd anyway after that.

Pupil distance isn't part of your prescription its actually just an extra fitting measurement used to make up your spectacles. So in theory its not part of your optical prescription so no opticians is required legally to give you your measurement as it isn't part of your prescription its a fitting measurement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Hi

Saw this thread a month ago and said why not try it.

Went to specsavers - free eye test - got my prescription - No problems - didn't even have to ask.

Ordered 2 pairs of glasses using codes advised earlier - Ordered Monday and had them the following Tuesday.

For just under €40 - I got 2 pairs of rimless memory metal glasses. While I was in Specsavers I priced the same glasses - total cost for 1 = €250.

I got 2 for under €40!!!!!

Website easy to use, tells you how to measure etc - Ill be using them all the time now - Thanks to OP for starting this thread - I owe you one!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Got prescription glasses from Goggles4u after getting my prescription from specsavers a few months ago and perfectly happy with them.

Just used the discount code 10off to get 10% off the cost of a pair of free frames with anti-glare coating and a sunglasses tint to get prescription sunglasses for $26.62. I've spent more on a bad meal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Most of these online guys won't handle astigmatism isn't that correct or?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

heffoo wrote: »
    Pupil distance isn't part of your prescription its actually just an extra fitting measurement used to make up your spectacles. So in theory its not part of your optical prescription so no opticians is required legally to give you your measurement as it isn't part of your prescription its a fitting measurement :)

Get a ruler and get in front of a mirror - worked fine for me, closing one eye, lining the zero on the ruler up with the centre of my open eye's pupil. Then swap eyes and take reading from where centre of other pupil lands on ruler.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Most of these online guys won't handle astigmatism isn't that correct or?
    I have astigmatism in my left eye and they were able to handle my order fine...

Ok, I am back with prescription.
    So can anyone help with what goes in the sphere, cylinder and axis boxes?
    I know only my left eye is needing prescription lens.
    Thanks
    2888sc9.jpg

• Advertisement

I seem to have figured out that plano means no sphere, cyl is -1.75 and axis is 106.
    But, when I go to order, am I single vision or something else? Can anyone answer based on prescription in previous picture?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Afaik single vision means the same prescription applies to all of your lens! As in they're not bi-focals or varifocals.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Afaik single vision means the same prescription applies to all of your lens! As in they're not bi-focals or varifocals.

I spoke to them via online chat to check if the curve on the sunglasses iwll affect prescription and they don't think so.
    I am going to bite the bullet and select single vision for my prescription and hope its right.
    I will post back with the results once they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Based on the photo you only need single vision lenses. If you needed progressive or bifocals you would have an "Add" value on your prescription as well

Thanks Shinobollo, I will post back anyway with some pics etc once they arrive for those who are not at the point of purchasing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

slightly off topic - cheap place for daily disposable contacts? any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Try Opticalrooms.ie for the contacts. I use them for monthly torics. Very good price wise against any of the European sellers. Bricks and Mortar as well as Internet site. Extremely helpful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I ordered 4 pairs of glasses for my mum from Firmoo.com a couple of weeks ago, which arrived this morning - she is absolutely thrilled with them!

Using the discount code WELCOME which gets you free shipping PLUS 20% off the whole lot came to around 55 euro, so at least 250 euro less than buying from specsavers or anyone similar.

4 pairs of prescription glasses delivered to the door for less than 60 quid!!!

vvvv Well poop to you for spoiling the joy >:( vvvv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Meh goggles4u.com are cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 espreso75

Just thought Id add to your question and let you know that online opticians uk
    take pay-pal for future reference

• Advertisement
Advertisement